Voodoo Security IS REDZONE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Vodoo Security is identical to Redzone.  There is no difference!  Help me bring this to LL's attention.  Redzone was banned long ago.  How is Voodoo security still able to operate? 

If you use Voodoo security you are banning people who happened to get banned from Voodoo.  This includes legitimate players and potential customers/traffic that you will lose out on.  They are not always griefers.  It is surprisingly easy to be perma banned by voodoo.  They accuse legitimate players of cheating and if you make a complaint to them they retaliate with a permanent ban.  This will include any avatar who shared an IP with you in the past.  If you have friends who have played at your address they will be banned as well.  They DO log IP addresses.  They have years and years worth of IP logs and will ban any avatar who shares an IP with a banned user, which is unfair because IPs change all the time and are shared often.

They will perma ban for any reason and they are allowed to do this.  Protest voodoo security if you believe in a fair SL!  You are better off banning people from your parcels personally instead of using their system.  I have lost access to many sims which I gave regular traffic to and spent money at.  Every avatar I had, even friends, and one family member who had played at my address in the past are perma banned.  I never broke the rules and only played with one avatar at a time but since I made one complaint I was perma banned. 

If you believe in reason, you shouldn't support an unprofessional business who make decisions based on pettiness!  What's funny is, their own sim doesn't even use the security system.  Isn't that saying something in itself?  Avoid voodoo altogether if you don't want to be me and lose a lot of money in valuable avatars who are now useless.

• Like 2

13 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Are you paranoid about it? Well, there's another reason why you should have voice turned off (because that's where they get your IP address from, to my understanding - and where these things tag you.)

Actually, it's parcel music that exposes your IP address to the shoutcast or icecast server that streams the music. 
Overly simply put: the way RedZone went about this was they provided the parcel/region owners with a custom  URL which went through the RedZone servers before it reached the IP address of the radio stream that their customer wanted to use. Anyone NOT playing music was immediately designated a griefer, because "why else would you not have music on?" (It could not possibly be because someone had no interest in playing music, or because they are deaf, or perhaps have children napping in their room, etc.)

Anyway, the way VooDoo is described definitely evokes memories of RedZone, I looked them up on the MP, where they say:

VS 3.1 expands on the stability and reliability of the previous version, by including new useful security features, integrating more deeply into our web systems, and extends new threat analysis, so we can protect you from attacks that haven't even been invented yet.

✱ Automatic removal of known attackers using our DDOS protected threat database.
Minimum age restriction to prevent a griefer making new avatars to attack.
✱ Automatic removal of avatars who appear to be trying to crash the region.

The bold parts is what catches my attention.

First, there's their web systems, which is an indication that all retrievable information of all visitors are being stored off-world.

Then there's the database of "known attackers", a store owner can simply decide they don't like you (perhaps because you said something negative about their store decorations in local) and mark you as an attacker. This means that you get banned from ALL places that use VooDoo, not just that one store which is owned by a petty resident, but everywhere. Even places where you have never been to before. And not just you, but also your alt, your room mates, family members, the other people on the campus of your college, etc. Anyone that you happen to share an IP address with.

The minimum age restriction is so laughable. Yes, griefers do create throwaway avatars, but in the process you are denying legitimate users access to your store/club/whatever.

And then there's the ridiculous automatic removal of avatars who "appear" to be trying to crash your region. How is that determined? Script count in attachments? Their render cost? Or does that again rely on their off-world database of IP addresses?

All in all, I see enough similarities to RedZone for it to raise red flags all over the board and I think that LL should take a good look at this system to make sure that this system does bnot violate the TOS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

If you're getting banned then there is a reason you're getting banned.

A good reason: you triggered the "creator's" pretty unique ... well.. insanity, easily done by posting something on a forum or by being a member of "Anti-Redzone" groups and such. The guy used to run bots who joined those groups, tried to grab the member list and added every name to the ban list. 

I actually consider it a good thing. It keeps you away from places run by insecure owners buying into lies and fear. 

• Like 1

Under GDPR data regulation, if they (voodoo systems)  are collecting information about residents externally, (which their website clearly states they are), then they (Voodoo syustems) should have a GDPR Data Collection Document stating exactly what data they are collecting and also how to OPT OUT, and have your data removed  VooDoo systems are also required by GDPR  to disclose what information they are collecting, what measures they have put in place to ensure that the data is safe and secure and what automated processing they have applied to it, they should as be registered with a data protection agency, for the collection of personal data including IP addresses or they are in direct violation of GDPR Law. 

The question here now is:  Why are linden labs allowing a company in second life to openly and publicly data-mined first life information about residents (IP addresses), and are linden labs pre-paired to enforce the fact that voodoo systems are in violation of both GDPR and Linden TOS? 

The fact that lindens have been aware of this for more than 3 months and not responded, dose not reflect good on their enforcement of GDPR when it comes to the capture and missus of IP{ information about residents.  If they can ban red-zone then the should ban Voodoo as the precedence has already been set by themselves.  

This is directly from the ICO - The UK Data Protection Regulator, and their comments on IP ADDRESSES, colleting, processing and storing them! (ii have included  link to the exact part of the GDPR regulation)

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/key-definitions/what-is-personal-data/

The GDPR applies to the processing of personal data that is:

• wholly or partly by automated means; or

• the processing other than by automated means of personal data which forms part of, or is intended to form part of, a filing system.

• Personal data only includes information relating to natural persons who:

• can be identified or who are identifiable, directly from the information in question; or

• who can be indirectly identified from that information in combination with other information.

What are identifiers and related factors?

• An individual is ‘identified’ or ‘identifiable’ if you can distinguish them from other individuals.

• A name is perhaps the most common means of identifying someone. However whether any potential identifier actually identifies an individual depends on the context.

• A combination of identifiers may be needed to identify an individual.

• The GDPR provides a non-exhaustive list of identifiers, including:

• name;

• identification number;

• location data; and

• an online identifier.

• ‘Online identifiers’ includes IP addresses and cookie identifiers which may be personal data.

I am not paranoid at all.  I understand that IP addresses are not private.  The point is... the security system IS REDZONE with a different name.  That is all.  I am banned from a good number of sims that I used regularly.  It makes me upset that they are allowed so much overreach, it is hard to move on when I visited some of these places daily and loved the atmosphere but I have no choice now. 

It actually wasn't me that down voted you, I stepped away from the computer for a while to spend some time with family, but thanks for being negative, I will give you a down vote now.  Voodoo does learn who all alts are.  Ask anyone who has been perma banned, they'll tell you.

Read what Gothly posted.  She understands the point I'm trying to make.  This has less to do with me, since there is nothing I can do to change my situation, and more to do with the similarities between Voodoo and Redzone.

Infact, Voodoo security and Redzone are so similar, it wouldn't surprise me if they were the exact same people.

Edited by BrutalHonesty

I don't see Voodoo Security and Redzone as being similar at all, aside from the fact that they are both security systems.

Redzone got in trouble for being an "alt detector"...and an inaccurate one, at that.  The alt detection part got it in trouble with LL because it collected personal data (public IP addresses, and in some cases Windows user names) and shared them with third parties.  The "inaccurate" part got it in trouble because it caused much Drama.

As far as I know, Voodoo doesn't collect personal data or attempt to detect alts.  So, Redzone it is not.  But I do agree with the OP that it is a bad system and ought not to exist.  I take this position because a careless or vindictive user of the system can use it to ban someone not only from THEIR land, but also from the land of every other user of the system.  This would be useful and even appropriate, if we could be sure the person being banned was REALLY an antisocial griefing nasty person.  But in many cases, this level of ban is total overkill.  A land owner who's having a bad day can easily impose a severe penalty on someone who does not really deserve it.

• Like 1
On 12/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, Fritigern Gothly said:

Well, there's another reason why you should have voice turned off (because that's where they get your IP address from, to my understanding - and where these things tag you.)

On 12/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, Alyona Su said:

The solution is to turn off Voice.

How do I turn off voice properly to avoid this IP address tagging problem?

What are the proper menu procedures for me to turn off voice properly??

Thank you in advance.

29 minutes ago, Owvin Kawanishi said:

Go into your viewer's settings, aka Preferences menu (ctrl+p), proceed to the "Sound & Media" tab, look for the "Voice Chat" slider. Disable the "Enabled" checkbox next to it. That's it.

Example shown on the Firestorm viewer:

Clipboard01.jpg.bd1a17c1437a009d667bdc380683492f.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Owvin Kawanishi said:

How do I turn off voice properly to avoid this IP address tagging problem?

Thank you in advance.

dont forget néver to use media and music either... those broadcasters see your IP too ..

(and there is no ip tagging problem .. a alu hat also helps because reading brain waves is also getting very popular these days)

I see no problem with this. Voodoo does not appear to be harvesting invalid login credentials, and it does not appear to be revealing alternate accounts.

To be clear, LL does not prohibit detection and observation of alternate accounts. The prohibition is of "Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, [...] alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active)"

Finally. You have no right to be in a location. And your viewpoint that this product is banning people is so self-serving and self-centered it's laughable.

If you're going to be anything but polite to the person who banned you, you're just giving them more reason to ban you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you paranoid about it? Well, there's another reason why you should have voice turned off (because that's where they get your IP address from, to my understanding - and where these things tag you.)

If you use Voodoo security you are banning people who happened to get banned from Voodoo.

This actually sorta, kinda, maybe, possibly, even makes a little sense to me.

How about looking at things this way: if you are banned from a venue or region, find another. NOTHING is that important to get worked up over.

Awe, you can only give me 1 down-vote, OP? No really, login all your alts. I wanna hit the -50 golden dumper award.

Edit to add after OP reply (because easier this way):

Yeah, you'r paranoid. The solution is to turn off Voice. ~laughs~ Now bring your alts and down-vote me! NAO!

By the way, the issue with Redzone is that it also cross-checked and learned who all your alts were. I do not believe voodoo does this or LL would be on it in a heartbeat. If you're getting banned then there is a reason you're getting banned. Based on your Original Post... I get the basic gist on a few reasons.

Now c'mon, down-vote me s'more.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.