<3

kiarbenz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:35 AM, kiarbenz said:

❤️

Just for the record, posting in the wrong forum is a very, very minor mistake that people make every now and then. It's no big deal and easy to fix too: just report your thread to the mdoerators and they will move it for you.

5 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Drat, and I was hoping for something new to read in the Mesh forum....

Coming up:

On 12/3/2019 at 6:02 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

Aside from "mesher" not being a noun and "mesh" not being a verb

Aren't they?

That's a genuine question, not a rhetorical one. We certainly need a verb for the act of creating a mesh an a noun for a person who creates mesh and I don't think we can find either in any dictionary.

Edited by ChinRey

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Aren't they?

That's a genuine question, not a rhetorical one. We certainly need a verb for the act of creating a mesh an a noun for a person who creates mesh and I don't think we can find either in any dictionary.

"Modeler" and "to model (something)".

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

"Modeler" and "to model (something)".

Except that "model" already has a meaning amongst the large fashion-centric population in SL. Meshing and mesher are more readily understood.

I'm curious how many of us who make or use mesh in SL have ever referred to it as a model. I haven't. Granted, I'm not a fancy pro 3-d modeller, just a hobbyist creator who extended her skillset for SL.

47 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Except that "model" already has a meaning amongst the large fashion-centric population in SL. Meshing and mesher are more readily understood.

Well, with all due respect, I don't care. Those are the correct words. Also, notice how i addressed the definition "to model (something)".

49 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I'm curious how many of us who make or use mesh in SL have ever referred to it as a model.

I do it all the time, unless the subject matter goes into the component level f the model (being it a polygonal object -> mesh, a NURBS -> parms or control points)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Well, with all due respect, I don't care. Those are the correct words. Also, notice how i addressed the definition "to model (something)".

I do it all the time, unless the subject matter goes into the component level f the model (being it a polygonal object -> mesh, a NURBS -> parms or control points)

Yes, I saw that you said "to model".

And yes, I understand that you don't care about others' points of view or experience.

Your data point for my question has been noted. It already was prior to your reply.

56 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Well, with all due respect, I don't care.

Oxymoron of the most high.

As anyone else does in regard to my point of view, opinion or experience. But language is not subject to point of view. 

True. Though context is an important, integral part of it. Anyone with the basic edification of communication knows, instinctively, that words with different meanings will use the meaning based on context.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

As anyone else does in regard to my point of view, opinion or experience. But language is not subject to point of view. 

Sorry but no. I care about your point of view, opinion and experience. I just wish you'd stop trampling others' underfoot. And that's just a wish, my feelings.

Now about language, are you saying that language can't be flexible, adaptable, or influenced by context? That words can only have a fixed set of meanings?

9 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I'm curious how many of us who make or use mesh in SL have ever referred to it as a model. I haven't. Granted, I'm not a fancy pro 3-d modeller, just a hobbyist creator who extended her skillset for SL.

In all honesty, I do call a 3D object a model 90% of the time. 

But to be fair, I’ve also said something like “Give me a minute, I’m about to upload a mesh.”

Ive always looked at the term “mesh” as short for “mesh object” or “mesh model”, the only difference being in SL there are also “prim objects” and some people will confuse the two in conversation.

Edited by janetosilio
Forgot a couple of things

7 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I'm curious how many of us who make or use mesh in SL have ever referred to it as a model. I haven't.

I do but not very often. Usually I call it a build, sometimes a work although that feels a bit too pretentious.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.