Question

I hope someone can help me with this.  I bought two gtx 960 get force graphics cards from china I have tried to use them with second life.  But it seems after I have signed in to second life the minute I start moving I get kicked off sl.  I don't know if these cards are knock offs or fake gtx 960 ti.  I can do everything else with them but sl kicks me off after I have been on or start to move happens every time.  I would like to know if there is a solution to this.  any help would be appreciated 

6 answers to this question

It's impossible to tell from your description.  The GTX 960 card is not a super card for SL, but it should work quite well for you.  The problem could be the card itself, as you suggest, but you could be having connection issues or could simply be setting your preferences too aggressively.  As you troubleshoot, try:

1. Using the current version of the standard SL viewer.

2. Restarting both your router and your modem.

3. Avoiding a wifi Internet connection.

4. Logging in to a quiet region while you do your testing (Furball and Smith are good places to try).

5. Setting your draw distance to 128m or lower, and your Max # of non-imposter avatars no higher than 10.

6. Being sure that you are actually using the NVidia card and not the Intel graphics chip on your motherboard (check the NVidia Control Panel to be sure).

Are these cards name brand from a recognizable manufacturer (MSI, EVGA, Asus etc) or are the generic unbranded? Do they have a VGA connector on them? The presence of that is generally a dead giveaway that the card is a fake. Performance video cards haven't used them in ages. If you're up to taking it apart, you can look at the number on the chip, that'll tell you exactly what it is. What happens is the people making the fake cards take an older card and flash the model of a newer card onto it. The fake card probably has less video memory, so when your computer tries to use more, boom goes the dynamite. If it's a fake you might be able to get it to run by lowering the value for the texture cache in graphics preferences, but there's really no point in that, just get your money back and get a genuine GTX.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon

OK, if you can do everything else with the card, start with running GPU-Z or similar programs and check the stats on both cards.

Are you using one at a time or are you trying to get a craptastic SLI setup going with those midrange outdated pieces? Why did you pick such junk in the first place? 

Also, post the info from the viewer's HELP->About... section. That will tells us about drivers and hardware.

You can search for 'how to id fake video card'.