Chatlog sharing

wargon1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

The reporting process is pretty self-explanatory.

When you are logged in world, go to Help/Report Abuse.  Use the Chooser to enter the name of the person you are reporting.

When you fill out the description of the abuse, you may want to include excerpts of chat or IM logs to prove your point.  DO NOT EDIT them.  LL will only use them for their time stamps.  Then they will go and look up what was said in their official logs (Yes, LL logs chat and IMs.)

Sharing chat or IM logs without permission is a violation of the Terms of Service.  However, don't expect LL to ban the person you are accusing.  You have some pretty effective tools to deal with things like this...like dropping this person from your Friends list and Blocking them from further communications with you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wargon1 said:

how do you report someone for sharing chatlogs 

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Residents'_privacy_rights

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

"Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

Emphasis added.

So, you see it depends on where they are sharing the chat logs.  If they are sharing inworld, file an Abuse Report (AR). 

If they are pasting it outside SL, read carefully the green text above and at the first-link provided.

Edited by Erwin Solo
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

If they are pasting it outside SL...

Exactly.

Also, if they are sharing chat logs in-world or elsewhere on Linden-controlled media, an AR will most likely result in a warning or a temporary suspension -- which has the effect of training them to instead post all their chat logs in public on the internet.

So if that's the desired outcome, go for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Also, if they are sharing chat logs in-world or elsewhere on Linden-controlled media, an AR will most likely result in a warning or a temporary suspension -- which has the effect of training them to instead post all their chat logs in public on the internet.

So if that's the desired outcome, go for it.

It's not much they can do about it though. LL doesn't have any legal rights to interfere with what people post on Facebook or Twitter or anywhere else outside the services they provide themselves.

Besides, how are they going to be sure who did it? They can if somebody posts a chat log  on a Facebook account they have linked to their SL account of course but how many people are that stupid?

(Edit: Please don't answer that last question. I prefer to think of homo sapiens as an intelligent species so I don't want to know.)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It's not much they can do about it though.

Oh indeed. I was simply trying to discourage anybody from filing an AR with predictably unintended consequences.

Incidentally, that's not quite the same as saying the policy shouldn't even exist for Linden-managed media. In these forums for example, the locally enforced prohibitions on naming-and-shaming and chat log posting does help keep the place comparatively civil with only modest moderator intervention. Maybe the same applies to in-world communications, I don't really know one way or another about that. But if folks are filing ARs about chat logs, they really should be aware that the benefit is to discourse, not to individual privacy (and certainly not effective retribution for a perceived offense).

Not true, Sandi.  LL does tell us that we shouldn't include chat or IM logs in our reports, but this is only because they don't USE those as evidence.  They know how easy it would be to doctor a chat log excerpt to make the person reported look worse, so they only use their own official logs.

I suppose that it is possible that, if someone DID doctor up a log to make the reported person look bad, and LL caught them at it, THEY might receive a penalty.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

Someone once told me they filed an AR and included parts of IMs... and were then banned by LL for six months for "posting" the IMs in the abuse report.  Any idea if this is likely true, or just something silly I heard?  

I just thought I'd help clarify: TOS states you cannot share IM or chat logs with others or repeat them verbatim (by copy/paste) - except in the case of communicating with Linden lab directly. So it IS allowed to copy chat logs to Linden Lab. Is it useful to do so? Not always. Perhaps one or two lines for date/time reference, but nothing more.

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

[...] to doctor a chat log excerpt to make the person reported look worse, so they only use their own official logs. I suppose that it is possible that, if someone DID doctor up a log to make the reported person look bad, and LL caught them at it, THEY might receive a penalty.

THIS is likely the case that would be the cause if the hearsay you, @sandi Mexicola, have described.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.