What’s The Story Behind Your Avatar Name?

Saravendi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Waaay back in the day when I joined SL we had to pick our surnames from a list. You know the story. Anyway I had heard about a steampunk sim in SL that was new and I thought that it might be interesting to give this Second Life thing a look. Scrolling through the surname options nothing resonated until I got to Pearse. Then I remembered Sean Connery's character in the movie The Great Train Robbery was called Edward Pierce. And thus I found my name.

• Like 2

When I signed up for SL, I was under the impression it was a pre-build open world, where you could be anything. Had read something on a forum or whatever from a guy who was a mobster on SL. Sounded cool, as I loved playing mafia and mobster games. So I went with a name that sounded fit to that theme. Lomba was one of the names on the list provided, and Frank kinda felt right with it.

Quite the surprise when I logged in SL and it was nothing at all as I expected.

• Like 1

It was my alt account for non human avatars only, i created it in 2015 and after few years rebuild in a main human avatar. 

BerryRoll, i just wanted something funny and cute, it was first what came in my head.

Later her style and color pallete followed this juicy berry theme, what i cant tell about human, who is wearing only white colour. Only name now reminds me of vibrant colors)

IDQfJCPXqgQ.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly, there is NO story behind my avatar name. I was clueless when I joined SL. The interesting thing is, it is a german name and most english speaker had problems with it. It resulted into that I got called GLUE, but GLUE and a glow worm are quite different. I felt always dirty when they called me GLUE and that as a girl....not really funny, but nobody cared. I'm looking forward if we can change our names and hopefully LL will announce soon when it will be possible.

Edited by Gluehwuermchen Tornado
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Gluehwuermchen Tornado said:

Honestly, there is NO story behind my avatar name. I was clueless when I joined SL. The interesting thing is, it is a german name and most english speaker had problems with it. It resulted into that I got called GLUE, but GLUE and a glow worm are quite different. I felt always dirty when they called me GLUE and that as a girl....not really funny, but nobody cared. I'm looking forward if we can change our names and hopefully LL will announce soon when it will be possible.

As a Dutch person, I would know that your name translates to "little glow worm", so I would probably have called you Glow, or Glowy. 
...Or perhaps I would have called you Glühweinchen :D:D:D 
Image result for Glühwein"

• Like 1

No story. I didn't give it much thought at all. Saw the list of surnames and picked Vandkye cos it was the first one I could think of a good "purple" (my favourite colour) name to go with.  Probably took about 2 minutes.  I just wanted to sign up.  Didn't realise I'd still be using it 13 years later. If I had, I might have picked something else!  (I like Violet but I don't like Vandyke.) 

• Like 1

I am half Cherokee and in 1st life have been known as Cougar since the tender age of seven.  The name given to me by mother, who is Cherokee, involves a encounter with a wild cougar.  While I have other spirit animals that are just as meaningful, cougar has been most prominent throughout my life.  When choosing my last name Sangria was on the list and I have a long, deep appreciation for wine :)  

Edited by Cougar Sangria
spelling
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 11:53 AM, Gluehwuermchen Tornado said:

Just curiosity: When you joined SL, weren't you aware that it was international and therefore most people wouldn't be able to pronounce your name?

When I joined SL oh, so many years ago, I was watching a Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers movie, and I like the spice ginger, so that was the first name sorted. I went through the then-available last names, and Shostakovich jumped out at me because Dmitri Shostakovich is one of my favourite composers. And there I was, a newly-rezzed Ginger Shostakovich, flying for the first time and crashing into the buildings on Orientation Island. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'Simo' is just short for a name I used on other platforms, which was 'Simomatic' and Vodopan I just picked just because it sounded cool I guess. Though, apparently according to some Czech people Vodopan translates to Master Water.

So once fully translated it says: 'Simon Master Water' with Simo being Finnish for Simon ofcourse. Alot of people think I named myself after Simo Hayah (and while I do respect the figure alot) that's not the reason hah...

• Like 1

For my latest Alt, I wanted an English upper class resonance. My shortlist of first names was Cordelia, or Claudia.  I've worked in RL with girls with both names and they are such striking names.

For the surname/last name, I searched aristocratic English family names, and DeVere...de Vere.....Devere just fitted so well. I believe it is a Norman name. Ever since 1066, the upper classes in England have had Norman/French surnames for obvious reasons, even though time and marriage dilutes the effect.

So Cordelia De Vere was created.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 2

The story about my name is that I have been virtual before and  I felt myself then a stranger in a strange world. The Linden Lab suggested me Hoxley as a surname. I thought it was an appropriate name cause it sounds gentle like. Now people call me Stranger or Hoxley, My friends call me Hox. And people who listen good to their mother dont talk to me at all 😁.

Oh and I had some inspiration here:

Edited by Stranger Hoxley
  • Like 2

The story behind my avatar name is a bit odd? I used it for a biology paper when I was in school, we were told to write a fiction based on what we had learned, and one of my character's names was Lokiande. I thought it was a neat name, so I used to again when I made my SL account. Folks tend to call me Loki for short.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was at my high school friends house hanging out when she recommended I give SecondLife a try to make friends. We had been out of high school for almost a year and were both struggling to find folks in our age group who actually wanted to hangout.  She was explaining to me once I changed my legacy name that I could never change it again and I told her I understood. 

My favorite color is Red and at the time I was a really angry young adult. So naturally my first thought was 'Seeing red and being so angry that it manifests into Wrath'.  I looked at her and said "RedWrath" and she goes "Ha! Thats the dumbest name I've ever heard, don't come crying to me when you can't change it"   I have never changed my name since joining in 2012, thats exactly what I wanted to be named then, and exactly what I want to be named now. 🤣

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.