What’s The Story Behind Your Avatar Name?

Saravendi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The name Huor is from the Silmarillion. A human male, he was the father of Tuor, who was the father of Earendil, who was the father of Elrond and Elros. I actually came across that name due to an Elf-name generator at least a decade back and have used it as an ingame name ever since, but have since gained a deeper understanding of the name and character after reading the Silmarillion. 

As for Spinks, it was just a random surname that I thought sounded cute.

• Like 2

Jet Dallas was not "born" as Jet Dallas he first wandered around with some words mangled together to form a "first name" and of course the obligatory Resident last name.

As soon as the "new" names were available I jumped at the chance and wanted something which was more natural but also with a bit of an edge to it. I'm loving the name, so much more than had I assigned it via display name even.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The inspiration behind my name, well, let's see.

I'm an alt of another forum user (relevent to this which is why I said it).

Way back when I was created, I needed an alt to use for testing stuff on, but I was lacking creative inspiration for a name.

Well, one night I got home from the pub, rather inebriated (as you do), and I fell over the bin staggering into my kitchen.  So I was sat against the wall, my head ringing, and I had the dustbin lid on me.

Ergo:

Ding

ding

ding

I've

got

a

dustbin

lid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dingdingdingivegotadustbinlid Vonderheide said:

Well, one night I got home from the pub, rather inebriated (as you do), and I fell over the bin staggering into my kitchen.  So I was sat against the wall, my head ringing, and I had the dustbin lid on me.

Spotted another Brit.

• Like 2

Since I have four alts, I'm basically just gonna go down the list of why I picked the usernames that I did LOL

xRheax resident: This ones pretty simple, I wanted her username to be Rhea, but it was already taken, so I just put X's in the front and back of her name so I could still use it lol Story wise Its short for Rhiannyn and now she goes by Rhia with an I lol

ivylarae resident: Pretty much the same story, I wanted the name IvyRae, but that was already taken, so I just put La in the middle, and BAM Ivylarae!

Selenebolin resident: This one was created entirely for a roleplay character I seen in my head, whose name was Selene Bolin, which I later changed to Selina Bolin, this avi has long since become the avi I get on when I am in a cute, more girly mood, I don't even go by Selina on her anymore lol, I go by Amori

Serseii resident: I bet you're starting to see a pattern here. Cersei Lannister was probably my favorite bad guy in Game of Thrones and at the time I wanted to create a Snow Fairie named Cersei, obviously the name was taken so I changed the spelling. Ironically she's not even a Snow Fairie anymore lol She's a B*stard born Fairie Warrior and Healer, whose mother is from the Summer court and her father is from the Autumn Court, oh and her name is Da'ae

Pictures!:

Rhia:

104382322_TheRubysEye.thumb.jpg.e5d2f7d19291a18122ae2cf804ff6931.jpg

Ivy:

Snapshot_027.thumb.jpg.bc23def6e8f247beaf12c73ec02611db.jpg

Amori:

Snapshot_045.thumb.jpg.66defbe959b81a922fd73f1a51e67d4b.jpg

Da'ae:

Snapshot_120.thumb.jpg.8590e4e525352204469abbb45bc92c33.jpg

• Like 3

my avatar name's story is short, is my name+slwife last name, but when i meet her she was on a rp sim where the DeMoray were a hitmen family who silence the oppositors from the goverment, i was learning to rp there so i was just the secretary

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's no secret that I'm Matti's new alt, and my name is connected to his. We're both named after the character of Maedhros from Tolkien's Silmarillion, whose full name in Quenya is Nelyafinwë Maitimo. The tradition amongst Noldor elves in Tolkien's legendarium was for elves to have two names; the first (Nelyafinwë in this case) given at or soon after birth by the father, and the second name (Maitimo) given to the growing child by the mother. The father-name is formal and the mother-name is informal, used mostly by friends and family. 

Nelyafinwe Resident was already taken so I shortened it to Nelyafin. But you can call me Nelya, or just Nel.

• Like 1

Tess Falworth: She is a character I created, originally a hybrid vampire/human who became a Hunter...she would go after naughty vampires (as well as weres, etc) and brought them back to stand trial for their crimes. Tess is a short, sweet and easy to remember name, and also easy to type. Falworth was suggested, amongst others, when I first joined SL. I wanted something that sounded a bit on the British side, so Tess Falworth was it :)

• Like 1

Aternia Afterthought was my original name (before recent name changes).

Aternia is my own unique version of Eternal. Eternally an afterthought, basically.

Kassie Nova is what I changed my name to. Obviously a play on words for Casanova. I'm Italian, so I did the thing. I wanted a fresh start/change without making an alt. I was sick of people calling me Aternia (I've gone by Nia for like 8 years now) or worse, calling me Atemia because they misread Aternia. So! Kassie Nova was born.

Nova: This has actually been my sl brother's last name for years, so it fit.

Kassie: Short for Kassandra from Greek Mythology. A prophetess that was cursed to have her words never be believed.  Her name means: shining upon man, she who fills men with love, and entangler of men. Also suitable for the Casanova tribute, plus it fits me better than you'd realize.

It was a hard change at first because I'm almost... 11 years old in SL, I think, but Kassie fits me really well now and I'm quite fond of it ^_^

• Like 3

I have stated that I'm Greg's alt in my first post. I started life as lolzlulz Resident and was originally created as a model for the low cost wardrobe challenge elsewhere on the forums.  I somehow I gained sentience along the way and knew I needed a proper name if I were to stick around long enough to become a full-fledged sibling to Greg and eventual homeowner.

The plan was to adopt a punny name around a musical theme to make a vague connection to Gregorian Chant.  I was almost renamed Haunted Heartsong or Unsung Heartsong, but neither of those grabbed me. Freddie Mercury was a cool guy, but that name is not for me.

As I was looking though the new batch of names, Steve Gibbons Band happened to come up on YouTube's recommendations, and Eddy Vortex immediately came to mind.

Hey, it works.

• Like 3

I was my RL name here in SL for a number of years as I did "work" things - ok it had the Resident bit tacked on to the end but that's why we got display names.

I changed it to Jon Nova, which is very similar to my RL name but I didn't really get on with it so I changed it again - yep fool and money easily parted.

I went for an alliterate name on purpose as it sounds better and the name itself will (hopefully) fit in well to some medieval fantasy RP.

• Like 1

Lysana has been a constant name for me online since BBS days. It's a respelling of Lisanna. I thought it was pretty to merge Lisa and Anna and found out much later that, inevitably, I'd been beaten to that punch a long time ago. I got here and wanted a last name of something resembling Irish origins. I had to laugh when I found out it was in the DB because of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Tricia McMillan, AKA Trillian).

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Pombokom said:

Pombokom is a Nisenan word for the moon. The Nisenan are the First Peoples whose home was the land I live on before Euro-Americans moved in.

"First Peoples" can refer to a wide variety of people on different continents and countries. It would be nice if you were more specific.

My story is a bit ridiculous : when I signed in I had no idea my login information would be my avi's name. 🤭 I thought that I'd choose that one later... So I didn't really think about it too much. I just knew I didn't want to link my regular online username to SL but I didn't have the slightest idea of how to call myself.

Lolita from Nabokov is one of my favorite books. A friend was reading it at the time and she was asking me TONS of stuff while doing so but I couldn't remember every single detail of the book (yes that detail is crucial to the story lol). When I decided to sign in, that book was actually very close to me, because I needed to answer a text about it. I was searching for a name, saw the book, thought "meh that will do", tried to type it in a million different (taken) ways until I ended up with this ... username

As soon as I understood I'll be stuck with it, I've googled the issue and discovered the marvellous world of display names. 🤩 So she goes by the name of Lola, and I will probably never upgrade to Premium + pay fees in order to change her actual name. 😂

Edited by lauleetah

• 3 weeks later...

Cinos is a really old thing I came up with. I like ice and snow, and the finnish word for "drift" (as in snow drift) is Kinos... But I wanted it to sound more English, and English has a lot of Cs, right? :P

I wasn't terribly good at English back then. Now I have an MA in it, but kept the name as a kind of relic.

As for the last name, Field, my choices when signing up were all terrible. So I picked the best of a poor lot, as boring as it is.

• Like 1

Ganked from my own profile inworld:

Well, back in the early to mid 1990s, like many other mis-spent youth of that era, I was - and still am! - an enthusiast of heavy metal music. The "slammed" part is a reference to moshing/slam dancing that was popular around that time.Also around that time, I dabbled in the writing and drawing of cartoons and comics called "Slammed Sam", whose protagonist was some teenage kid that had many adventures in all manner of wacky situations! The character in question eventually became what you see right here.

Ever since then, I have tweaked and re-invented Sam to some degree. One day, I might even actually finish the novel she's supposed to be a part of.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.