What’s The Story Behind Your Avatar Name?

Saravendi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Dementia Obviate said:

When I first started SL, it was kind of spur of the moment. An online friend told me one night that this might be something I'd like and was ready to take me in right then. So i just picked kind of quickly using a name that I only used once before for a cartoony character that I created using an app. If I'd had more time to think about it, I probably would have chosen something else, but it's grown on me now. My last name was one of the SL generated ones that I disliked the least.

Personally, I love the way Obviate works with your first name, the combo is awesome IMO. :)

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, VanillaHoneyCake said:

So, if you're confused about what to call me, Honey will do.

Hm.. How about 'Miss Cake'? I may be a little traumatized by growing up in Sweden ...

• Haha 5

this is my first and oldest account.

Fauve from a trashy romance novel heroine (and because yes, art)

Aeon because it was the first surname name I didn’t dislike. Can you tell I’m a little lacking in the patience department?

I didn’t think anything of it...first of all I never dreamed I’d stay so long and second, both are 1 syllable, short, sweet and easy to pronounce, right? Right! So wrong on both counts.
But since I list pronunciation first out in my profile that tells me something about who reads. 
Foo, that’s right, Foo Avon. At your service. 🦋

• Like 3

I love kitties and being born a woman in real life, consider myself a feline; a little wild. I like the cute version of "Kitteh" for Kitten/ Kitty. That spelling was taken. I googled other ways to spell it and found that the "y" can also be pronounced as a soft "i". For the generator last name, I love witches. When I saw Wytchwood, I grabbed it because its spelling was similar with my first name that has a y in it,  and also having that same soft "i" sound.

• Like 2

Ariel: My mum wanted to call me Ariel, after the spirit from The Tempest. My dad vetoed. She died a few years back, so it's in homage to her. It's also pleasingly gender fluid.

Scheele: A vague reference to Scheele's Green, a popular colour for wallpaper and paints and wotnot during the 19th century... which unfortunately was made with arsenic and thus had a tendancy to slowly kill people. I'm kind of a history nerd. Apparently a morbid one.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ArielScheele said:

Ariel: My mum wanted to call me Ariel, after the spirit from The Tempest. My dad vetoed. She died a few years back, so it's in homage to her. It's also pleasingly gender fluid.

Scheele: A vague reference to Scheele's Green, a popular colour for wallpaper and paints and wotnot during the 19th century... which unfortunately was made with arsenic and thus had a tendancy to slowly kill people. I'm kind of a history nerd. Apparently a morbid one.

Scheele is also pre-WW2 spelling of the Dutch word "schele", meaning "the cross-eyed one".

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I must have the most boring story in SL. I just chose my name and picked up the last name by mistake, I didn't really know what I was doing when I joined SL. I tried to convince myself Core sounded like Greek and went with my RL name, but it didn't work out.. 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

I must have the most boring story in SL. I just chose my name and picked up the last name by mistake, I didn't really know what I was doing when I joined SL. I tried to convince myself Core sounded like Greek and went with the name, but it didn't work out.. 

If it helps, you can call yourself a core member. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought I answered this a while back but there's either another thread somewhere or I'm senile (or both).

I've been giggling and nodding my head reading about other people who made noob mistakes and didn't realize things couldn't change or whatever. Also, I never thought a pronunciation guide would be necessary since we all just typed, right? sigh

I was very interested in the ways SL could be used to explore parts of ourselves that we can't in real life (and I'm not talking about sex, although that can be a part of it). Oh my, the hifalutin ideas I had! I thought SL was going to be a great big psychological and spiritual romp. I thought Seeker was a good name for the prospect but "seeker" was just too New Age icky. So I changed the spelling to Seicher, but it should have been Siecher but I can't spell and forgot about i before e. Rae was a legacy name that I thought went well with Seeker, as in a ray of light. A seeker ray. sigh. Yeah, I overthink things (and still mess them up).

Seicher means cuttlefish in French (didn't know that). It is also a nasty slang word used by the people living on the Swiss side of some Alp. Most people think it is pronounced S-eye-ker and German. Weirdly a lot of people just call me Rae (which kind of bugs me). Thank goodness for display names, so I can run around doing nothing psychological or spiritual with "Seeker" over my head. And no, I will not change it. I'm the only one in SL and it is just part of who I am now and it would be weird to be some other name.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 5

It was a Friday afternoon, 10 November 2006 and I was creating this account. I scanned the names and stopped at "Racer." At that very moment a GEICO commercial was playing on TV:

I was like, "Sure, why not?" , and GoSpeed Racer was born!

I worried that my name would cause me to be laughed at, until I spotted a lot of names sillier than mine! Only recently I've changed my display name to GoSpeed Rasere as I use that name for a character in my self published novels.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

At the time I created my account, I had already been dabbling about with the Russian language for some time, teaching myself through various means. I saw this last name and liked it immediately. I chose the first name to go with it after some thought. I wanted something somewhat culturally similar and something that, to me, had a bold, strong feeling.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2019 at 7:06 PM, Seicher Rae said:

I thought I answered this a while back but there's either another thread somewhere or I'm senile (or both).

I've been giggling and nodding my head reading about other people who made noob mistakes and didn't realize things couldn't change or whatever. Also, I never thought a pronunciation guide would be necessary since we all just typed, right? sigh

I was very interested in the ways SL could be used to explore parts of ourselves that we can't in real life (and I'm not talking about sex, although that can be a part of it). Oh my, the hifalutin ideas I had! I thought SL was going to be a great big psychological and spiritual romp. I thought Seeker was a good name for the prospect but "seeker" was just too New Age icky. So I changed the spelling to Seicher, but it should have been Siecher but I can't spell and forgot about i before e. Rae was a legacy name that I thought went well with Seeker, as in a ray of light. A seeker ray. sigh. Yeah, I overthink things (and still mess them up).

Seicher means cuttlefish in French (didn't know that). It is also a nasty slang word used by the people living on the Swiss side of some Alp. Most people think it is pronounced S-eye-ker and German. Weirdly a lot of people just call me Rae (which kind of bugs me). Thank goodness for display names, so I can run around doing nothing psychological or spiritual with "Seeker" over my head. And no, I will not change it. I'm the only one in SL and it is just part of who I am now and it would be weird to be some other name.

I totally had a similar feeling regarding the possibilities of SL. It’s also interesting that when one creates their account they/you have no real idea if SL will be but a blip in your life experiences. Like meeting someone who becomes a lifelong friend... it’s usually years later that you feel the significance. I certainly didn’t have a clue or faintest idea that years later I’d be still posting and involved in SL daily and that Saravendi would be used so much. And Yes, display names help a lot! I had Sara with a little o above the “a” in Sara... I just thought it added flair to my display name, until a friend told me that in Swedish it changed the meaning to something weird, so I removed It. Because SL is international we kinda have to be aware of issues like that.... OMG 😱

Anyway, really interesting story! Thanks for sharing!! 

• Like 3

On 12/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, Jordan Whitt said:

It just sounded posh.

On 12/26/2019 at 2:30 PM, Jaylah Sass said:

Nothing deep or cool here. 'Jaylah' was a name I really liked when I was like, 14. I started on the teen grid and later moved into the adult grid. I'd totally change it if I could because now I'm not really fond of the name lol. But hey, we have display names for that!

I love both Jordan and Jaylah... very cool names. IMHO 

Happy New Decade 2020’s! 🎆

Edited by Saravendi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.