What’s The Story Behind Your Avatar Name?

Saravendi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’ve often wondered what the story or inspiration was behind your Avatar names... ??? 
So... ??? 

I’ll go first 😬

Saravendi is a manufactured, made-up word (no surprise there). Years ago, my interior design group was designing a Spa retreat and pitched the client the name Saravendi Spa. It was to be a traditional Spa with Yoga, a retail store etc. They went with another option, but I always loved the name and Sara was alway my favorite name, so when I got the chance to name myself when enrolling for SL (just Sara was obviously taken) Saravendi became it!!  I often wonder if ppl think I’m Indian in rl because of the Sanskrit ending “vendi”... nope, just a California girl who loves Yoga 🧘‍♀️ (does that count?)

Namaste ;)

~ Sara

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 16

My name's pretty much made up from things that I love and that also kinda made sense in my head at the time when I was making up the name. =p It's got some Japanese flavor to it because it's my favorite culture, but I only really know a few words and probably structured my name all wrong in regards to how the Japanese normally describe things. n.n;

But, 'Momo' means 'peach' in Japanese and it's my favorite fruit and one of my personal favorite colors. However, I originally chose the name because it's the closest word that I know of that the Japanese have in regards to the word/saying 'peachy'--as in 'to be peachy' or 'to be good or happy', which is one of my personal favorite sayings. (I don't think they actually have a word or saying that translates, literally, to 'peachy' and actually do only have the word for 'peach' to describe the fruit or color=p )

The word also plays on my usual gamer-handle I use for other things, which is most often a variation of 'Peachy'.

'Moon Usagi' was meant to be 'Moon Rabbit', which 'Moon' isn't translated to Japanese because 'Tsuki' I felt was a little too long to use. And I just prefer saying 'usagi' over 'rabbit' because I think the word sounds cuter--but combined, they were meant to bring to mind the 'moon rabbits' from Asian folklore.

So, sticking all of it together, after knowing that, it's original intention was suppose to be: Peachy Moon Rabbit

• Like 10

I've used the name Ayela in a few other things... and I got baited by the login page. Not only did I not expect your login username to be visible to the world (Account Security 101), but I trusted the whole "you can change the name that everyone sees later!" message.

Turns out Linden Lab is both bad at basic security, and outright lies on the signup page. When I put it like that, I'm surprised I stuck around...

Oh, and this was the first variation on Ayela that I could find that was free.

• Like 9

Elora - from the movie Willow (the baby Elora Danan). I had just watched it yet again when I discovered SL.  Plus, it's also a variation of sorts of my real name.

I picked the last name from SL's list of available names at that time because I liked alliteration and the image it conjured up of the moon over the ocean. I did not, even notice it was also a misspelling of "lunacy" which was much later pointed out to me by more than several people 😋

• Like 11

I used to enjoy watching History channel, until they stopped airing shows about history.

During one show, they paid attention to the Thervingian Gothic ruler Fritigern. I liked the name and it stuck with me. 

When I created my account here, one of the last names that I could choose from was Gothly, so the choice to name myself Fritigern was quickly made, and counted on the fact that the name is not very well known outside of a circle of history buffs 🙂
I was also very much into Gothic (subculture and music) at the time, so there was that.
So far, nobody yet has said "but hey, isn't Fritigern a MALE name?" :D :D :D 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, momomoonusagi said:

'Moon Usagi' was meant to be 'Moon Rabbit', which 'Moon' isn't translated to Japanese because 'Tsuki' I felt was a little too long to use.

And that has nothing to do with Usagi Tsukino? :D :D:D 
tAHtL9k.gif

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

And that has nothing to do with Usagi Tsukino? :D :D:D 
tAHtL9k.gif

I am a very, very huge fan of Sailor Moon tooooo. so, maaaybe a wittle? x3 Way back in the day, *cough* Sailor Moon was the thing that sparked my curiosity to find out what the word 'usagi' meant, tho. x3

Edited by momomoonusagi
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My avatar name is pretty basic and non-imaginative really. Rae and Lee are variations of my RL first and middle names, and H the first initial of my RL surname. Back then I thought it was me enough that I could relate but also not-me enough so as to enjoy some level of internet anonymity. Not very imaginative in hindsight. Not sure what I would have named myself had I chance for a do-over, and with the prospect of surnames to purchase in the not-too-distant future I'm still unsure as to where I'll end up but I can't imagine ever being anything other than Rae (something or other) now.

• Like 9

Matty is not short for Matthew. It's actually short for Maitimo, who is a Noldor Elf from Tolkien's Silmarillion, more commonly known as Maedhros. He was known for being tall, red-haired, gorgeous and having one hand.  I chose Luminos in reference to the Silmarils themselves; crystals of light.

• Like 12

Catrie is short for "Catriona" which was the name of my main character in Vanilla WoW.  I shortened it to Catri or Catrie, since Catriona was usually taken if I went to use it in another game.  Athena comes from the Greek Goddess Athena.  I've always loved Greek Mythology and Athena in general.  She's also where I get my love of owls (well, her and the clockwork one in the original Clash of the Titans. 😛)

• Like 10

I've mentioned this before in various similar threads. My name is a mash up i originally wanted to use my first name but every last name i tried wouldn't allow me to have it i toyed with a few other names that sprung to mind but couldn't have any last names i liked then i decided i'd use the name of the next female singer to come on the radio but i couldn't commit to the name so i had the bright idea of mashing it up with my name and it worked it's not really a great name though i quite like the uniqueness. The last name i picked out one that was easier to remember and spell there were a couple of other similar last names on the list the spelling i went for rolled off the tongue better

• Like 8

To you guys who are repeating your stories, thanks, I find it fascinating learning some additional background on many of you whom I follow and admire! And, Belinda, not boring! 🧘‍♀️

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

To you guys who are repeating your stories, thanks, I find it fascinating learning some additional background on many of you whom I follow and admire! And, Belinda, not boring! 🧘‍♀️

I should have also added, my first alt was simply BelindaSalt, who was to become Salty Newell. The next one was just Ellie Newell, because I know a cute kid called Ellie. Finally, Daisy Johnnson aka Skye, was a nod to Agents of Shield. The name Johnson was taken so I went for two nns.  :)

• Like 7

Su is among the rarest of Chinese surnames (I was surprised to find it). My BFF in school was named Alyona, which is a Russian name... I admit I hadn't thought of the funny mix-up that makes, but hey, China and Russia are close enough to each other that it's plausible so :P

• Like 10

The path to my current name is a little complicated. When I first joined, I knew almost nothing about SL, but was thinking I wanted to be sorta faerie-ish. I saw the name Llewellyn, which seemed fae to me, and modified my RL first name (Carol) to Caerolle to go along with that. While I did have faerie stuff, and dressed as one at clubs sometimes, I never really fit into that role. Also, I had a lot of people asking me if I was Welsh. Uh, no, USian mutt, lol. I had no idea that Llewellyn was strongly Welsh. So, I always felt bad about being so ignorant and trivializing another culture, so I wanted to change.

I identify a lot with the artist Camille Claudel, so I took her last name in my display name, but then through something else complicated I would up with a hyphenated last name (a lot of people thought I got partnered, nope). For quite a while I have wanted to move to an account that was strictly Caerolle Claudel, so this weekend I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and moved to a new account, CaerolleClaudel. I re-bought the stuff that worked best for me in my old account, and here I am. :)

• Like 9

Marut is a an Angel in Islamic texts. He has a brother named Harut and together they were sent to earth to tempt people. They were seduced by a beautiful woman and in lust killed her husband. They were punished by living on earth until the end of time tempting humans to do naughty things. (He is also a minor character 

Charlie Utter is my favourite character from the HBO show Deadwood, which I rewatch on a regular basis and develop a potty mouth. 

• Like 10

I just went with my real name, so I'll just share that story instead.

My parents were for some reason certain that I should be a girl, so they were somewhat unprepared in naming me and just went with a name that, at the time, was quite fashionable. So fashionable, that in high school, there were four of us with the same name in my class alone. At that point I felt that I had gotten quite detached from it, as everyone just referred to me by my surname instead.

Meanwhile, my grandfather had been in open rebellion throughout my life. My grandmother had to physically hold him down when I was baptised, as he plotted to interrupt the ceremony and declare that 'This child shall be known as Orwar!'. Even when that never happened, he never called my by any other name. So, when I came of age, I formally had my name changed, and also correcting my parent's failure to honour our naming traditions, putting my name length to <my grandfather's name> <my spoken name (Orwar)> <the name my parents gave me as a middle name> <surname>.

• Like 17

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.