Sign in to follow this  
arabellajones

Scripting for railways in SL

It looks as though the Virtual Railway Consortium group in Second Life is dormant, and the VRC scripts for rail vehicles are pretty old. They work, but there have been so many changes to LSL since they were written in October 2010.

Are there any available scripts more recent than that? Either similarly open source or on the marketplace. One possibility would be putting the vehicle characteristics in a notecard, rather than needing to edit the script, but is that worth doing? You can still get the VRC packages at places in-world such as Tuliptree, but that, and "Hobo" trains using a similarly old script, seems to be all there is. Which makes me a little nervous.

3 hours ago, arabellajones said:

Which makes me a little nervous.

SLRR is alive and well. If you expect free you're going to get what you pay for. You could always make an actual investment.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Bibians-Creativity-Train-Script-Accessory-Package-Steam/6738809

This is for a steamer, there is a diesel version also.

You're welcome.

• Like 1

I am not sure how old that advert is, but since it still points at the SL Wiki pages of the SLRR system, I have my doubts. One review, dated November 2015.

As for your "If you expect free you're going to get what you pay for," you're talking to somebody who uses Linux. It's a lot better maintained than most things. It's partly a question of reputation.

4 hours ago, arabellajones said:

I am not sure how old that advert is, but since it still points at the SL Wiki pages of the SLRR system, I have my doubts. One review, dated November 2015.

As for your "If you expect free you're going to get what you pay for," you're talking to somebody who uses Linux. It's a lot better maintained than most things. It's partly a question of reputation.

Perhaps. Though Bibian is still in-world everyday and provides excellent customer support. Go ahead and contact her with your question, I'm certain will will be impressed with her positive and timely response.

• Like 1