I wonder what...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...the linden built mobile app will look/be like. God knows we need one for iOS that is half decent.

But, what do you think. What are your hopes, dreams, fears. One thing I would love to see is the ability to send items to another player. Would be extremely useful for business owners if we need to give something to a customer for some reason and can not access a computer. Region management would be good for land owners and private simlords

LL said that the mobile app will be nothing but a glorified chat client. So I don;t think that there will any kind of inventory management, including sending items from one avie to another.

See also https://modemworld.me/2019/09/12/second-life-mobile-apps-a-belated-update/

Edited by Fritigern Gothly

27 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

LL said that the mobile app will be nothing but a glorified chat client. So I don;t think that there will any kind of inventory management, including sending items from one avie to another.

See also https://modemworld.me/2019/09/12/second-life-mobile-apps-a-belated-update/

Idk, from reading that post it looks like they are at least considering going as far as it being graphical. I really really really want them to eventually have a decent, awesome, mobile app. It is such a long time coming really given that modern smartphones have been around for over  a decade now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Idk, from reading that post it looks like they are at least considering going as far as it being graphical. I really really really want them to eventually have a decent, awesome, mobile app. It is such a long time coming really given that modern smartphones have been around for over  a decade now. 

You still should not get your hopes up too high.  Allow me to direct your attention to this post, dated Oct 23, 2013:
https://modemworld.me/2013/10/23/lab-confirms-sl-mobile-beta-programme/

1 hour ago, Jules Catlyn said:

Given the marketshare of Android vs iOS globally it would make more sense to develop for that first. I do think that Second Life is not suited to be used on any mobile phone. Even a tablet isn't really adequate enough.

I'm not so sure about this. https://www.businessinsider.com/ios-users-spend-more-than-android-users-2015-12

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jules Catlyn said:

Given the marketshare of Android vs iOS globally it would make more sense to develop for that first. I do think that Second Life is not suited to be used on any mobile phone. Even a tablet isn't really adequate enough.

It's not all about market share of the OS. IoS users tend to spend a lot more money. 

6 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

It need not be all that good from a user perspective. LL just needs to do the technical hard stuff like security. Third party viewer teams will take the open source code and add RLV, which LL does not appear to want linked to their corporate image, as well as other bells and whistles. We

3 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

It's not all about market share of the OS. IoS users tend to spend a lot more money. 

That might very well be true, i can't find much data on that so i can't comment. What should be interesting though is a survey to see what the Second Life population uses as a mobile device of choice. I think that is a far more important factor than what they spend in RL. 

I still believe that, outside of a chatclient, mobile devices in general are not suited to use for Second Life. Regardless of what operating system they run.

I do wonder though whether the Android lead is specifically because “YEAH ANDROID!!” as the die hard androiders would have you believe or rather that android phones are more affordable than iPhones so a larger portion of people opt for them. I know quite a few android users in rl who often say “ohh I would love an iPhone but it’s just too expensive”. See for me, I used to be super pro android. But, I was for some reason unlucky with android phones and give it maybe six months they would start developing faults and issues and inside of twelve would die completely. This happened to my Z1, HTC, Xperia Play, Samsung S, Dell Streak. So in the end I relented and bought an iPhone. I won’t lie though after seven years of using iPhones I’m a complete fan girl now 😅

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis

6 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I do wonder though whether the Android lead is specifically because “YEAH ANDROID!!” as the die hard androiders would have you believe or rather that android phones are more affordable than iPhones so a larger portion of people opt for them. I know quite a few android users in rl who often say “ohh I would love an iPhone but it’s just too expensive”. See for me, I used to be super pro android. But, I was for some reason unlucky with android phones and give it maybe six months they would start developing faults and issues and inside of twelve would die completely. This happened to my Z1, HTC, Xperia Play, Samsung S, Dell Streak. So in the end I relented and bought an iPhone. I won’t lie though after seven years of using iPhones I’m a complete fan girl now 😅

I had the complete opposite experience. Nothing bad about the operating system but i found Iphones to be too delicate and they broke easily. For my every day use i would not call either iOS or Android superior to the other. Both have their advantages and drawbacks but the wide range of available mobile phones that run on Android make it much easier for me to find a phone that will survive every day use (abuse).

Many people have different reasons for which smartphone platform they go with, whether it is cost or preferences or anything else. The point about iOS versus Android with regard to which should you develop for first is all about the likelihood you will make sales from it. The statistics have consistently shown that iOS users tend to spend more frequently, and more dollars than Android users.

This is a financial/sales-ability question, not a popularity or market-share question. Were I a smartphone developer, I would go for the iOS platform first. Then concentrate on the Android side second. Then after both of those, I would go for macOS first (most iOS users have macOS) then Windows after that. In terms of actual sales, this is what I read a lot from developers in the news stories about them I see.

Either way, each developer has to make their own decisions about it. Whichever way they go, it will be their own chosen strategy that they feel is most cost efficient and beneficial to them

Here is my example of how I think an SL Mobile client should look. You can open up various menus for interaction with objects, chatting, viewing nearby people, changing clothes, etc. Essentially you can only view avatars on this viewer. 

195863367_SLMobileexample.jpg.9a7de532fe44a04d169e61bc874c881a.jpg

Edited by Bree Giffen

11 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

What funny is when my guy DJs from our RL bar into SL and mentions the virtual world, many pull up there phones looking for the app. He'll then say "this is meant for the normal computers, not the tiny phones." Think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere.

• Like 2

Maybe the push for Project ArcTan is really to make a mobile client more feasible once they first crack down on SL's "runaway infrastructure".

I personally would like to see mobile used as an "excuse" to finally evolve the current animation protocol, scripted camera controls and script library so we can start making in-world games that use Animesh characters and separate the aspect of games involving your own out-of-character and/or high complexity and/or over-scripted/cheat-scripted avatar into gameplay.

I would like some kind of ability for users to "log into" a game without even they or others seeing their avatar, but instead the game character(s).

The users attachments and their scripts would not function either, only scripts used by the game. TPV facets would be overridden as well.

Yes, I'm a dreamer, heh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.