Zero complexity outfit now 1000?

LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a saved outfit, created a few years back that consists of the basic 4 items and a full body alpha.  It has always put me at a complexity value of zero. Yesterday when I put it on, my complexity showed as 1000.  I didn't have time to investigate then and there's always the reason of "odd SL fluke, relog will fix it". 

Well today that zero complexity outfit is still showing as 1000.  I see other invisible people in stores showing a complexity of zero, so it isn't like all full alphas idea suddenly changed to a higher complexity.  Very likely I clicked who knows what that caused this change, but I'll be darned if anything comes to mind.  Any ideas what is going on?

Here is the entire "Current Outfit" that hasn't been changed in forever, but it does show that I'm not wearing anything unexpected.   

image.png.285a7d7d667650f193cf2dbbffa688c2.png

Here is invisible me showing a complexity of 1000 instead of zero:

image.png.2d33be324c91722310080b67a388e55a.png

I think 1000 is the minimum complexity. I have created new avatars from scratch (new shape, new skin, new hair, new eyes) and those always start out at 1000.

At least for the viewers I can now use: Firestorm, Singularity, Cool VL Viewer, and Kokua (linux user here so there is no more SL viewer).

Edited by DilliDallagio
Added viewer info.

Maybe you're just a complex person?

:)

But... I notice something akin to this.

If you have stuff on then remove down, complexity always stops somewhere. If you log out and then back in, you can get the lower value. Some of your complexity 'caches'... the other people show the '0' because you didn't see them in a more complex outfit first.

But for me last time I looked at this was a few years ago and having nothing gave me 300, while having stuff then removing it all left me at 3000.

17 minutes ago, DilliDallagio said:

I think 1000 is the minimum complexity. I have created new avatars from scratch (new shape, new skin, new hair, new eyes) and those always start out at 1000.

At least for the viewers I can now use: Firestorm, Singularity, Cool VL Viewer, and Kokua (linux user here so there is no more SL viewer).

It hasn't been but a few weeks, maybe a a month or so, since it really did put me at a complexity of zero.  Complexity zero does still exist:

image.png.363065bb8342da24e92e62961c1c1c9c.png

18 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

But... I notice something akin to this.

If you have stuff on then remove down, complexity always stops somewhere. If you log out and then back in, you can get the lower value. Some of your complexity 'caches'... the other people show the '0' because you didn't see them in a more complex outfit first.

I've never encountered that before, but I did go ahead and leave the full alpha outfit on and log out. Logged back in with Firestorm and complexity is still 1000.  Logged out and back in with SL Viewer.  That one I can' find a way to always display complexity but it does notify of complexity changes, so I put on another outfit and then back to the full alpha and it notified me that my complexity changed to 1000.

1,000 is the minimum, that's the complexity of your system skin texture.

Zero only appears when an avatar hasn't rezzed its four base system parts yet (shape, system skin, system eyes, system hair). I always see it when I TP into a new place, or when someone TPs in to where I am, it lasts a few seconds and then rises in stages as their various bodyparts rez one by one.

I forget when they changed ARC calculations. Five years ago? The event is marked by the introduction of the ACI numbers and the popups. Later JellyDolls were introduced.

Expect the numbers to change again in 2020 when the ARCTan project completes.

As hardware and the Internet change the algorithm figuring render cost changes too. ACI/ARC is intended to reflect the effort your computer exerts to render the avatar. You can see the change in advertising for graphics cards. They used to hype polygons rendered per second. Now that measure is passe. Our current ACI/ARC is not as helpful as it might be.

I read @Vir Linden giving an explanation about this behavior, but I can't find the thread atm, so I'm going to summarize it, maybe he can correct me if he chimes in.

Basically, this happens because of BoM, each channel has a 200 score complexity, but that doesn't include 5 of those new channels BoM introduced, resulting in the incorrect reading of 1000 base complexity whereas before it was 0.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

I read @Vir Linden giving an explanation about this behavior, but I can't find the thread atm, so I'm going to summarize it, maybe he can correct me if he chimes in.

Basically, this happens because of BoM, each channel has a 200 score complexity, but that doesn't include 5 of those new channels BoM introduced, resulting in the incorrect reading of 1000 base complexity whereas before it was 0.

That explains why I was pretty sure it was zero not long ago.

I found the post you were referring to:

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.