Blurry Textures...Blurry on Two Different Sims

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I completed the installation and am now on the BOM viewer.  However, it is still turning the alpha part of my top (the lace part on the bottom) to off upon teleport or changing the pants to a skirt.  Where or how the texture for the lace on the bottom is being generated into a white part makes no sense because it's a real alpha there.  There are no white parts there on the texture as those have been alpha-ed out.   

I am not sure what to do.  Am I supposed to file a JIRA?  I've tried every work-around I could think of.  Nothing is working to keep the real alpha part (the lace at the bottom) on alpha blending...it keeps turning to off by itself. 

I took me a while to figure out what you meant by the pictures since I assumed the first pic was before and the second after tp. Once I realised it was the other way round, I got it. ;)

Yes, this is definitely something you should file a bug report about. But if you use a third party viewer, don't send it to LL, send it to whoever maintains the viewer you use. (I remember one content creator meeting back when Nyx Linden was in charge of them. Somebody asked why LL didn't accept JIRAs about Firestorm issues and Nyx' dry reply was: "Don't you think it's better to send bug reports to the people who can actually do something about them?" :P)

11 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I took me a while to figure out what you meant by the pictures since I assumed the first pic was before and the second after tp. Once I realised it was the other way round, I got it. ;)

Yes, this is definitely something you should file a bug report about. But if you use a third party viewer, don't send it to LL, send it to whoever maintains the viewer you use. (I remember one content creator meeting back when Nyx Linden was in charge of them. Somebody asked why LL didn't accept JIRAs about Firestorm issues and Nyx' dry reply was: "Don't you think it's better to send bug reports to the people who can actually do something about them?" :P)

Thanks ChinRey for all your help.  Sorry about the mix up in the photos...I was just exhausted from this.

Yes, I was wondering about this being the Firestorm viewer too so I checked ALLOW MULTIPLE VIEWERS in my Firestorm and then downloaded Second Life viewer last night.  However, it was taking a long to open and I needed to log off and go to sleep.

I am going to try to open the Second Life viewer now so I can see if the bug is there as well. 

************************************************************************************************* 

EDITTED FOR UPDATES:   Okay, I took the Firestorm viewer out, did a disc cleanup, cleaned out some other things from my computer, rebooted my system and ran Second Life with the SECOND LIFE VIEWER ONLY installed, and the "bug" is there in the SL viewer.

I tried another alpha texture on the lower hem and it also changes to off alpha blending upon teleport or change of clothes.

This is what I mean about this feature being horrendous.  I cannot work this way with this feature.  My building will cease at this time because of this and the fact that I cannot work this way with this feature.  

I will file this JIRA thing but with whom and where it is that I file?

p.s. This top is not textures I want...I am just wearing different textures for a test and it's still switching to OFF alpha blending by itself.   (The white strip you see across the belly is part of my avatar's white Albino Cat belly - not part of the alpha missing.)  But, I quit.

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (41).png

Edited by FairreLilette

On 12/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, FairreLilette said:

If you look at the photos again though Penny, those signs and the shadows...those could all be alpha things though...this alpha blending feature has been nothing but a nightmare since it was introduced.  If there is a bug, it's there...in that alpha blending thing. 

It's good to reduce the number of those as much as possible. As ChinRey pointed out, Blended alpha was originally the only alpha mode, and any texture you uploaded that had an alpha channel in the file would automatically be displayed in blended mode. (Which, as you can imagine, caused a lot of problems.)

A few blended textures here and there shouldn't be a problem. Just use them sparingly.

On 12/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, FairreLilette said:

Plus, if you read my OP...I said I use 512 textures.  There was nothing over-whelming my computer.  My textures ARE 512 x 512. I edited that in from the beginning of my OP.  

I took this to mean your sweaters. What about the store itself? Do you have any neighbors?  The content you make does not exist in a vacuum. If your sweaters only use a single 512x512 texture, that's great, but it's not just the size of the textures, but the cumulative amount of memory SL allocates to the textures displayed on screen. And, unfortunately, unless you made everything in the entire sim by yourself and you know you're using good game design habits in your content creation, SL does not provide you the tools to manage this important resource. Firestorm has added some features, though, allowing you to inspect objects to see how much memory they use. That's a start.

10 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

It's good to reduce the number of those as much as possible. As ChinRey pointed out, Blended alpha was originally the only alpha mode, and any texture you uploaded that had an alpha channel in the file would automatically be displayed in blended mode. (Which, as you can imagine, caused a lot of problems.)

A few blended textures here and there shouldn't be a problem. Just use them sparingly.

I took this to mean your sweaters. What about the store itself? Do you have any neighbors?  The content you make does not exist in a vacuum. If your sweaters only use a single 512x512 texture, that's great, but it's not just the size of the textures, but the cumulative amount of memory SL allocates to the textures displayed on screen. And, unfortunately, unless you made everything in the entire sim by yourself and you know you're using good game design habits in your content creation, SL does not provide you the tools to manage this important resource. Firestorm has added some features, though, allowing you to inspect objects to see how much memory they use. That's a start.

I don't know what to say.

I spoke with Firestorm Group and I was told regarding the alpha blending and it's problem "it's a known issue that cannot be fixed" by one person.  However, another person was trying to help.  We got the tops (the bottom lace part that is an alpha) to stay on alpha blending by attaching/detaching/attaching and then teleport and the alpha blending stayed on and I had my lace edge and it did not turn off using the attach/reattach upon teleport like is has been.  However, when I change, it turns itself to OFF alpha blending again and I have no alpha-ed lace edge as shown in photos in this thread.  

I don't know what to do either.  I have tried everything on my end and am exhausted right now after days of different tests.  I may go premimum one month to talk to a live person about this issue.    

Update:  It's fixed.  I fixed it myself by using the feature called EMISSIVE MASKING and then setting a value in emissive masking.  I believe the alpha blending was confused because the texture I was using for my top on the bottom lace edge part is half texture half alpha; a hybrid.  It is not a bug as far as I know.   As far as items turning on to alpha blending...that may be a bug.  I'm not sure yet.  I have not submitted a JIRA nor talked to LL about items turning on to alpha blending yet.   As far as items turning on alpha blending when they are not a transparent object may have to do with another feature I have not found yet to stabilize it or it is a bug.   As far as anyone using an alpha which is shutting off alpha blending, you may need to use emissive masking and then set a value there.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.