What is second life?..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

ME the marketplace  is the worst place to shop anyway... you have to sift through pages and pages of poorly made and outdated crap to find the gems. In-world shopping is a much better bet.

I'm not sure you're using MP correctly. I set my display to 96 items per page and sorted by newest items first. I use the AND, OR, and NOT operators to fine-tune my search terms and then I turn on the COPY checkbox and set minimum price to L$10. I instantly see a loot (intentional word) of "gems" rolling in as the top hits. Compared to teleport, rez, enter shop, rez, alt-cam, wait for vendor textures to ... go ahead, you can guess... REZ. Then rinse and repeat. :)

I'm not saying shopping in-world is a bad thing, only the MP is a lot more efficient.

Edited by Alyona Su

6 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm not sure you're using MP correctly. I set my display to 96 items per page and sorted by newest items first. I use the AND, OR, and NOT operators to fine-tune my search terms and then I turn on the COPY checkbox and set minimum price to L$10. I instantly see a loot (intentional word) of "gems" rolling in as the top hits. Compared to teleport, rez, enter shop, rez, alt-cam, wait for vendor textures to ... go ahead, you can guess... REZ. Then rinse and repeat. :)

I'm not saying shopping in-world is a bad thing, only the MP is a lot more efficient.

I’ll take cam shopping over marketplace shopping every time. I am even struggling to fill my wishlist for the secret Santa because every time I see something great in-world I want to add, lo and behold it’s not available on marketplace. So me and the marketplace are in a fight right now. 😃

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I’ll take cam shopping over marketplace shopping every time. I am even struggling to fill my wishlist for the secret Santa because every time I see something great in-world I want to add, lo and behold it’s not available on marketplace. So me and the marketplace are in a fight right now. 😃

I get it, I really do! And more power to you. There also are things on MP that cannot be found in world. So I suppose that means we are each damned if we do and damned if we don't Hahaha!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I get it, I really do! And more power to you. There also are things on MP that cannot be found in world. So I suppose that means we are each damned if we do and damned if we don't Hahaha!

Very true! I do use it to buy gacha items, so I guess we’ll have to make up eventually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clone00345 said:

I wouldn't say there are a ton of non sexual clothes for women on MP, I ended up buying a long sleeve applier for upper body just so I can have more clothes to wear.

I have plenty of long-sleeved clothing appliers that are designed for the bondage/sex scenarios. Long, mid, short, or no sleeves is not an indicator of anything. I have used those "sex suits" (which is what the description of them on the Marketplace indicated they were created for) as the basic underlayment for layering other types of clothing above them, wearing them all as an outfit for non-sexual events.

It is not the clothing that determines whether someone uses them in sexual or non-sexual places, it is the person wearing the clothing that decides it.

• Like 1

Before we leave the subject of the amount of Adult Land on the grid...is anyone else having problems accessing https://www.gridsurvey.com ?  I haven't been able to get to the site for more than 24 hours.  (EDIT:  It seems to be a security issue.  Firefox is telling me, "An error occurred during a connection to www.gridsurvey.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR  The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.  Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.")

Can somebody drop a line to Tyche Shepherd and ask them to look into that?

Clothing:  Yes, a huge amount of clothing in SL would be considered "*****wear" in RL.  Part of that is most likely because yes, a lot of people in SL are interested in virtual sex.  But also, I think that a part of it is simply that we can wear this stuff in SL and actually look good in it.  Very few of us can say that of our RL selves.  If everyone in RL looked like the fit, trim, early-20's movie stars that they looked like in SL, then I bet there would be a lot more *****wear sold in RL too.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Before we leave the subject of the amount of Adult Land on the grid...is anyone else having problems accessing https://www.gridsurvey.com ?  I haven't been able to get to the site for more than 24 hours.  (EDIT:  It seems to be a security issue.  Firefox is telling me, "An error occurred during a connection to www.gridsurvey.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR  The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.  Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.")

Can somebody drop a line to Tyche Shepherd and ask them to look into that?

It's been like that ever since she made an announcement on the old SLU. I don't remember what the announcement was (it was well over a year ago) but it had something to do with updating the site... I think. She does post updates on VVO though.

https://www.virtualverse.one/forums/threads/new-sl-regions-in-the-past-week.189/

Some days the site will eventually load, other days it takes so long I finally give up, so I've started peeking at the link above instead.

ETA: Here's her most recent post: https://www.virtualverse.one/forums/threads/new-sl-regions-in-the-past-week.189/page-4#post-72027

Edited by Selene Gregoire

15 hours ago, DilliDallagio said:

It is not the clothing that determines whether someone uses them in sexual or non-sexual places, it is the person wearing the clothing that decides it.

That's what you think, but I had a different experience. If people wouldn't jump to conclusions when they see your outfit I wouldn't have the need to cover up my avatar. 

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, clone00345 said:

That's what you think, but I had a different experience. If people wouldn't jump to conclusions when they see your outfit I wouldn't have the need to cover up my avatar. 

Then why are you propagating the myth that that any particular piece of clothing is sexual? 

And in any case, it's just skin - or in your case fur, I suppose. And for all of us, when it comes to SL, it's just pixels. What makes one bit of skin more sexual than another? Why isn't the skin between my middle finger and index finger as sexually charged as my boobs? Boobs are for feeding children. Who cares if they're hanging out or not? 

Something is only sexual if you make it sexual, especially an inanimate object. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Why isn't the skin between my middle finger and index finger as sexually charged as my boobs?

Depends on what you do with it. A common myth is that to cannibals, it's the tastiest bit to be found in the human anatomy. Perhaps to a cannibal, showing off that bit is like food p*rn?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Depends on what you do with it. A common myth is that to cannibals, it's the tastiest bit to be found in the human anatomy. Perhaps to a cannibal, showing off that bit is like food p*rn?

I’m a little disturbed you know cannibal trivia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Is human meat red or white? Asking for a wine choice, I mean friend.

Red, generally speaking. But the thing is, human beings can have very varied diets from one another, being that we are omnivores, and also vastly different in how physically active we are, and what age and gender we are. Whilst this is true for cattle and game as well, there's no other mammal with such a diverse diet and environment.

It also depends a lot on which part you're looking at.

... Maybe I should open a culinary school or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

What makes one bit of skin more sexual than another? Why isn't the skin between my middle finger and index finger as sexually charged as my boobs?

Well, at one time,  the merest glimpse of an ankle made a woman seem "fast" and was considered highly erotic.  So,  it's entirely possible that at some point in history, this bit of skin was more sexualized than other parts.  Sexualization of a body part is based on what society thinks.  If society deems a body part "sexy" then it is. If they don't, it isn't. There may come a day when breasts aren't deemed in a sexual context, but in a more ho-hum manner. 

32 minutes ago, Catrie said:

Well, at one time,  the merest glimpse of an ankle made a woman seem "fast" and was considered highly erotic.  So,  it's entirely possible that at some point in history, this bit of skin was more sexualized than other parts.  Sexualization of a body part is based on what society thinks.  If society deems a body part "sexy" then it is. If they don't, it isn't. There may come a day when breasts aren't deemed in a sexual context, but in a more ho-hum manner. 

18369d445db5167e4df10594ab27f6d8.jpg.7d1a2cc5e6ed828e18655fa9a2269ad6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, clone00345 said:

You sound just like those who blame rape victims for the rape happening. 

"Look what she was wearing/drinking/doing. She was clearly asking for it."

"She went back to his place after flirting with him at a party, what did she expect?"

LL has provided us with tools to deal with people like that. Mute, block/eject, ban. Use them and move on with your SL. Those kind of people aren't worth associating with.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:
5 hours ago, clone00345 said:

You sound just like those who blame rape victims for the rape happening. 

How one dresses or presents themselves in public does INDEED affect how others will evaluate them. This does not mean someone who is aware of this (as clone is), and has experienced the dynamic in public or SL, either supports or has the viewpoint of a rapist!!

Second life, like first life, is exactly what you decide to make of it.  If you want it to be about sex, then that's what it is.  If you want it to be about creating, then that's what it is.  If you want it to be about the search for true love, then that's what it is.

For me, it's a home away from home where I can hang out with my fiance, whom I met in SL, and a few close friends, usually playing Hand and Foot, but occasionally it's about venturing out into public and confirming that I my misanthropy is well founded.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.