What is second life?..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, anonymousmouse2 said:

Is it time to change the description from "3d virtual world where people can create, connect and chat" to someting like "Adult sexgame"?

It could be that if you actively pursue it as there are sex sims you can go too.

However, I am an asexual in SL...my avatar is a tiny cat with human characteristics.  

Second life is a hobby for some people and for others many other things.  It's a hobby for me first and foremost.

Become a "tiny" and then you can just relax in an alt without worrying about being hit on when you need some space...if that is what's bothering you.  IM me inworld if you are interested in joining the tiny groups.   Tinies are asexual and just have fun.  You can be any avatar you want really.  It's nice for a change of pace to just meet and chat without worrying about what you might feel is a meat market.  People can feel like the club scene is a meat market in real life, too.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

What the lindens want you to think : A social virtual world of infinite possibilities where creators come together to build the perfect utopia, make friends and get rich in the process.

What it’s actually about : A gathering place for socially awkward perverted shut ins to explore their darkest desires, engage in what can only be called “hyper drama” and waste oodles of cash playing gacha machines in the hopes of getting a hat in royal blue.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

What the lindens want you to think : A social virtual world of infinite possibilities where creators come together to build the perfect utopia, make friends and get rich in the process.

What it’s actually about : A gathering place for socially awkward perverted shut ins to explore their darkest desires, engage in what can only be called “hyper drama” and waste oodles of cash playing gacha machines in the hopes of getting a hat in royal blue.

That could also be Facebook or the social media platform of your choice 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The existence of virtual sex within Second Life is quite an achievement. SL has such a huge amount of non-sexual content that it allows people to get into the virtual world with complete plausible deniability. The sexual aspects of SL are also created entirely by residents who are as talented as professional game designers. Linden Lab maintains a completely innocent image as none of the content was created by the company. One could say that sex in SL was immaculately conceived. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Look at how small they made zindra..if it was as big as a lot of people thought,you would think they would have made a mainland around the size of  the other mainlands..But adult content got this really small land way out in the middle of nowhere.

And, it's not all occupied by sex places too..

A lot of it's not even occupied at all... Even owned land. There's a few land barons that bought stuff up just to keep it off market, unrented, empty, and unavailable. People donate them tier so they don't have to pay to do this... they use it to keep the prices of other land high, and just because they think it's cool to mess with us all...

But...

take a second look at Zindra because it doubled in size about 2 years ago when they Added the Horizons double prim sims up north.

Most of which was taken by those land barons

A LOT of A-rated venues are on estate land though - including an extremely large number of XXX places.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

6 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

A lot of it's not even occupied at all... Even owned land. There's a few land barons that bought stuff up just to keep it off market, unrented, empty, and unavailable. People donate them tier so they don't have to pay to do this... they use it to keep the prices of other land high, and just because they think it's cool to mess with us all...

But...

take a second look at Zindra because it doubled in size about 2 years ago when they Added the Horizons double prim sims up north.

Most of which was taken by those land barons

A LOT of A-rated venues are on estate land though - including an extremely large number of XXX places.

Zindra was just an example of back then when a lot thought the sex industry was the 95%.. it was just a thermometer of how big the industry wasn't.

This was with a much larger active population that the grid hasn't seen ever since.

How many of these sex places are actually occupied and active as well? nowhere near the way they used to be..

Those AFK places are just another form of camping with nobody home at the keyboard. The traffic doesn't even come close to what even the dance clubs used to bring in..

From what I've seen just looking around..A lot of those high traffic places are just places for people to drop a connection for their cam or voice services..They seem more like an add place than a sex place..

A lot thought the strip clubs and nude beaches fell under the adult content rating back then as well..But only the ones that catered and advertised to adult activities fell under the rating.

There may be a lot of A rated private sims today,but there was a heck of a lot more back then.

There is nowhere near the amount of sims there used to be..

there was a lot more of everything then..There is a lot less of everything today.. I may have been shooting an old number from the hip and it may be more than 5% today..

But I still don't see sex places being so much so that they have taken over the main part of what second life is..At least from what I see nowadays.

Everyone is going to go down different roads and see something different from each other..It's still a big enough world for that to happen.

If someone would have asked me what i thought the most popular thing in SL is today,I would have said fashion and body mesh ..That's where i spend a lot of my time with people in sims and groups..Not just that,but a lot. So that's the world I see mostly.

Others may spend their time around more sex groups and sim..Some spend it somewhere else and see a whole other world.

I think we get a different perspective from each person..

I just don't think the sex industry is close to the 95% marker at all and again giving the illusion that it is much bigger than it really is..it may be bigger than 5% nowadays..But I'd bet it's not as big as people imagine it is..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Zindra was just an example of back then when a lot thought the sex industry was the 95%.. it was just a thermometer of how big the industry wasn't.

I may be misremembering, but I recall Zindra was created because there was no way at the time to segregate the genre; no way to control it's placement as the G, PG, and Mature (as they were called at the time) regions were, more or less, salt-and-peppered throughout the grid in small chunks of each and the needed to do this in preparation for shutting down the teen grid.

By creating Zindra they were able to block anyone not verified as adult  (I know, I'm laughing, too.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

Technically, Real Life is also an adult sexgame.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29e02d672dea04de9e14

Yes, part of it is.  It's the moon's fault...it has a strange affect on us.  

We are just part of nature and nature just wants to survive with no real thought about us.

The moon affects the tides and the fishes want to spawn...and it affects us too.  There are things happening in our body all the time...but it's finding a fulfillment somehow/someway that's important to us too.  

28 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I may be misremembering, but I recall Zindra was created because there was no way at the time to segregate the genre; no way to control it's placement as the G, PG, and Mature (as they were called at the time) regions were, more or less, salt-and-peppered throughout the grid in small chunks of each and the needed to do this in preparation for shutting down the teen grid.

By creating Zindra they were able to block anyone not verified as adult  (I know, I'm laughing, too.)

You couldn't get them to say that back then..hehehe

As many times as people asked,they wouldn't admit it..

They were more or less saying at the time there wasn't going to be a teen and main grid merger..

That should be in those brown bag meetings they were having before the move. But everyone knew there was going to be a merger..they just wouldn't admit it at the time..

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You couldn't get them to say that back then..hehehe

As many times as people asked,they wouldn't admit it..

They were more or less saying at the time there wasn't going to be a teen and main grid merger..

That should be in those brown bag meetings they were having before the move. But everyone knew there was going to be a merger..they just wouldn't admit it at the time..

Oh I remember vividly, because so many people were so easily placated. I specifically remember one of their comments was "We have no plans to shut-down the Teen grid at this time." - which people though "Whew" And I kept saying: YES they have a plan to merge the grids, that are just saying it won't happen right now. LOL

People are so gullible, it's amazing. My favorite examples: "No one does it better!" (You never say you do it better than anyone else, either) "Hope and Change!" (Uh, which hope and what change? You never say.) and "Make America Great Again!" (You never explain your definition of great or who's version of great). Hahahaha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Oh I remember vividly, because so many people were so easily placated. I specifically remember one of their comments was "We have no plans to shut-down the Teen grid at this time." - which people though "Whew" And I kept saying: YES they have a plan to merge the grids, that are just saying it won't happen right now. LOL

People are so gullible, it's amazing. 

I never knew this.  However, I am a land owner now with land controls for one of my clubs and it has boxes to allow 18+ only as well as to check for allow only those who have payment info on file.  I was wondering what that was for.  Well, it makes it up to each land owner to take responsibility then to allow 18+ or payment info only people. 

You can check each parcel's details on that issue though by going to world > parcel details and look under the access tab yourself.  It will be kind of grayed out but I can see on the sim I am now that 18+ is checked (the sim I am at now is not my land where I have the controls).   You could also see who is allowed where you rent as well.

How do they know who is 18+ or not if it isn't through payment info on file or the Tilia thing?  That's what I've been wondering.

16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

How do they know who is 18+ or not if it isn't through payment info on file or the Tilia thing?  That's what I've been wondering.

All of Zindra is 18+ - when they set-up Zindra (and it was a Cluster-F*k LOL If you owned other mainland you could choose any parcel and move there, then abandon your mainland parcel without tier-increase as long as it was the same size parcel - it was a gold-rush!)

So this 18+ setting did not exist before Zindra. They created all of this (and people *STILL* believe the Teen Grid was not going to be merged with main grid LOL - I saw it right away) - anyway - for a time, they had it so you had to declare yourself an adult by U.S. Standards (at least 18 years of age in RL). The negative hoopla was just as bad as the Tile hoopla and the lack-of-LL-homes hoopla and any other loudmouthed, misinformed, chicken-little commentary was all the rage.

All it was is that you went to your account page, clicked a link to verify, and you were asked a couple questions, done. It was a paper-tiger effort by LL to protect themselves from litigation in case any minors proclaimed "Unsafe for children!!!" (The Child safety on the Internet law that Congress enacted - I forget the actual title).

However: Now that they are not doing that anymore, and there really is no way to declare yourself 18 or older anymore, that setting is left-over cruft that is pointless now. Create a brand new alt today and you are basically 18 or older. So that setting alone will not really block anyone these days. But it remains as part of SL history, which is amazing (the history) - if you're ever really bored, go through Inara Pey's blog or New World Notes and start at the archives from around 2005 or 2006 forward. LOL

EDIT to add: That also is when they changed the region ratings from G, PG, and Mature to G, Mature, and Adult. It confused a helluvalot of people because the old "adult" (Mature) was the new "PG". So lots of seriously XXX-rated stuff suddenly became against TOS LOL. BUT - those who moved to Zindra were okay because that entire continent is Adult.

Edit: I should clarify - that setting *may* still used, but whether you are declared adult or not *could* be when you enter your birthdate in the new account information. I don't know. So, for exercise, let's just say it's not a great idea to actually rely on that setting for any real protection. Many settings in the viewer or parcel details, etc. are a lot more placebo than actually useful.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I may be misremembering, but I recall Zindra was created because there was no way at the time to segregate the genre; no way to control it's placement as the G, PG, and Mature (as they were called at the time) regions were, more or less, salt-and-peppered throughout the grid...

It was also made in the era of M. Linden or thereabouts - when SL was preparing to become a business-to-business conferencing platform and looking at ways to 'clean out the residents'...

Walling off the 'dirty stuff' was a way to make the rest of it more presentable... They were taking a lot of other steps at the time to try an slowly alienate all of us while trying to attract a completely non-existent B2B consumer...

While in hindsight a lot of making Zindra makes sense... I think at the time it was actually just a poorly thought out scheme to cleanup the product...

Oddly enough... these days the best mainland is often found on Zindra... It's residents have more of a passion for wanting their space.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Edit: I should clarify - that setting *may* still used, but whether you are declared adult or not *could* be when you enter your birthdate in the new account information. I don't know. So, for exercise, let's just say it's not a great idea to actually rely on that setting for any real protection. Many settings in the viewer or parcel details, etc. are a lot more placebo than actually useful.

I don't know exactly what I want to comment about in your post.

I just wanted to say that I'm guessing many of those with the land controls use the 'payment info required' thing because when I was newbie I was booted out of a lot clubs with a message 'I was not old enough' more or less.  But sometimes it was a message that my avatar needed to be 30 days old or 45 days old.  It was weird.  I did, however go through the age verification process I think when I set up my payment info on file...it just took a while.   How long to finally be age verified and payment info on file I cannot remember now because when I started SL, I was on a laptop only and studying YouTube 'how to's' mostly in the beginning.  But, I do remember it taking a bit of a while.  I did not mind being at London City though...I actually am one who happened to have a good time there.  

24 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

EDIT to add: That also is when they changed the region ratings from G, PG, and Mature to G, Mature, and Adult. It confused a helluvalot of people because the old "adult" (Mature) was the new "PG". So lots of seriously XXX-rated stuff suddenly became against TOS LOL. BUT - those who moved to Zindra were okay because that entire continent is Adult.

Before they had PG and M. They Added A. There were only 2 ratings before. All the old PG and M sims stayed G and M. PG just got renamed to G. It might not even have been named PG before, might have been 'general'... not sure on that... but no old region had it's rating changed.

What 'M' could do was made more limited - everything put in A-only was removed from M. But many things people think might be A, like public nudity, are actually still M 'in the right context'.

Just now, Pussycat Catnap said:

Before they had PG and M. They Added A. There were only 2 ratings before. All the old PG and M sims stayed G and M. PG just got renamed to G. It might not even have been named PG before, might have been 'general'... not sure on that... but no old region had it's rating changed.

What 'M' could do was made more limited - everything put in A-only was removed from M. But many things people think might be A, like public nudity, are actually still M 'in the right context'.

It used to be G, PG, and M. When A was added PG went away. I always felt that was a mistake. They should have just added A and left the other three in place; G (ages 13 - 15), PG (16 - 17), M (18+) and A (21+). Why the 21+ on Adult? Because some young adults just aren't really ready to handle adult content at 18\19 and it would save LL and the residents a lot of headaches, and it is the legal age to enter bars/clubs for the US.

53 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It used to be G, PG, and M. When A was added PG went away. I always felt that was a mistake. They should have just added A and left the other three in place; G (ages 13 - 15), PG (16 - 17), M (18+) and A (21+). Why the 21+ on Adult? Because some young adults just aren't really ready to handle adult content at 18\19 and it would save LL and the residents a lot of headaches, and it is the legal age to enter bars/clubs for the US.

If I had only a single cookie to give, I would give it to you. This is spot-on of the most high.

Nope.

SL is a virtual platform that we can use in pretty much any way we can imagine ( with some exceptions ). Virtual sex is one activity, but there are other platforms that focus only on that and probably with better graphics. I using it more for virtual shopping, exploring sims, access to community, and virtual environment building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

You are definitely misremembering. :)

Nope.

There were only 2 ratings before. Now there are 3.

I even had BOTH M and General land through the transition and they stayed the same. And teen grid was a few years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

There are three activity-based classifications, called "Ratings", for sims in Second Life:

1. General (formerly "PG"—no extreme violence or nudity)
  2. Moderate (formerly "Mature"—some violence, swearing, adult situations, some nudity)
  3. Adult (may contain overt sexual activity, nudity, and violence)

And:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/History/Adult_content

During 2009, changes to the way adult content is handled in Second Life were made. The main goal of these changes is control over your experience: if you don't want to see adult content, you have that choice. If you do want to see it, provided you're account-verified, you can. The changes include:

1. Creating a new region maturity rating of Parcel lght A.png Adult, in addition to the existing Parcel lght G.png General and Parcel lght M.png Moderate,

Same page:

Region Ratings

Previously there were only two ratings for map regions on the SL Main Grid: PG and Mature, and they were open to anyone to visit. Now there is a new category, Adult, which only "verified" accounts with the right settings activated can visit.

After 15 Sep 2009, publicly promoted Adult Content is supposed to be stored either on Regions on the newly built Zindra mainland "continent" or on private Regions having the Adult Region rating. Estate owners can set their region ratings as they choose, and it is expected they will change or create adult rated regions according to the demand for it.

As of 1 Nov 2009, 1325 private regions were rated Adult, and 348 mainlaind regions (mostly Zindra). Together they represent 5.69% of the 29,409 region total grid area [4]

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

25 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Nope.

There were only 2 ratings before. Now there are 3.

I even had BOTH M and General land through the transition and they stayed the same. And teen grid was a few years later.

• General (formerly "PG"—no extreme violence or nudity)
  • Moderate (formerly "Mature"—some violence, swearing, adult situations, some nudity)
  • Adult (may contain overt sexual activity, nudity, and violence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life#Classification

Teen Grid opened February of 2005, shut down in 2010 and was always rated G. After the teen grid shut down, PG was changed to G and Mature was changed to Moderate. So no, they didn't stay the same.

• Like 1

This is the text I put in my profile under picks what I think about sex:

Haaa! now i got you attention! ;-). I say it it one more time: No i am not looking for sex, it just happens so once in a while! Walking naked does not mean i want sex! (talking about prejudice).
I either dont see anyone as prey and i dont want to be seen as one. I like to flirt, like to talk to women but that does not mean it will end up in a sex position. I got ladyfriends with whom i never had sex with and i love them.
Someone here said to me there are three reasons to have sex:
1. produce, 2. love, respect and romance, 3 lust.
I say there are two more: 4. economic profit and 5. under pressure. Because producing avatars is ridicules number 1 is out. 2. is nice but you need to know eachtother better then. So 3. is the most obvious reason to have sex here. A legitimate one, why not having fun here! But that does not mean it has to be empty. There must be some of number 2 in it. Number 4. i respect, but i dont pay and i dont want to be payed. Reason 5. is horrible: Sex should not be done against someones will

Ho heard at a beach somewhere: SL is like a bad pornmovie. Every plot seems to lead into a bad sex scene at the end......

Selene said:

Alyona said:   If I had only a single cookie to give, I would give it to you. This is spot-on of the most high.

I said:  No, no, no you forgot 40+...the ones who are too jaded like me to give a darn if anyone likes my cat avi or not.  Ha!   Just kidding.  

But, seriously, I feel like I get to re-live a 2nd childhood here.  I'm having a great time just being with friends I can eventually know as people.  
Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.