Good mornfterning :)

Tari Landar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I didn't want to say happy pre-Thanksgiving, because sl is a global network of people, and there are many the world over that do not celebrate this holiday...no reason or judgement necessary

So...instead..good mornfterning to all :) (I'm covering all my bases)

And a message...wouldn't be me without it...

Be good to yourselves, and be good to others. When you can't be good to yourself, please let others be good both to and for you. When you can't be good to others, be good enough to yourself to make a concerted effort to be good enough to others. If you're struggling with the season, for any reason, please reach out to someone, anyone, even if it's a perfect stranger, there is strength in numbers, that's not just a  cliche' saying.  Sometimes, this isn't an easy time of year, it's ok to have struggles, it's ok not to have struggles, and it's also okay not to know what to do about or with those struggles.  Just do your best and know that no matter what, you're good enough, you're wanted, you're liked, you're loved...and most importantly.....you're necessary. 

All of you, without exception.

:D 

• Like 12

Thank you Tari.  For those who are happy and looking forward to warm happy family time, go for it!  Enjoy!  Give Uncle Scrooge a hug for me.  For those like me who will be all alone, tough it out!  Things could be worse.  At least it will be peaceful and quiet and warm here and I get a long weekend. Consider the plight of the turkey.

image.png.4987c6f890c45e8634fd4b9d0e42e02a.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Is Thanksgiving more celebrated than Christmas Day?

Or do you all do the Turkey thing twice?

We do it twice, but are allowed to do ham at Xmas. 

I would say Xmas is a bigger deal, tho.

ETA I only found out that Brits do Xmas turkeys, too, when I was making my SL Holiday dinners. I also discovered Brits must have Brussels Sprouts on the table at Xmas (so my green bean casserole switches to sprouts on touch),

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I don't know if Christmas is more celebrated than Thanksgiving because Hanukkah is very big in the greater Los Angeles area, too.  However, Thanksgiving is for all of us no matter what religion or non religion.  

Thanksgiving is considered "turkey day".  Christmas can vary.  Many people have their family traditional favorites at Christmas.  My family always had food from their ancestor's country as both my parents were 1st generation Americans.  So, we had what could be considered "weird food" to others although once they taste it, they love it!

We have a large Hispanic population here too...so trading some of our food for tamales was something my Mom always did also.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

ETA I only found out that Brits do Xmas turkeys, too, when I was making my SL Holiday dinners. I also discovered Brits must have Brussels Sprouts on the table at Xmas (so my green bean casserole switches to sprouts on touch),

Yep, turkey is big here too, and Brussels  Sprouts are a key part of the Xmas Dinner experience. Just make sure to steam them for no longer than 6 minutes (8 if they arevery large ones). Don't boil them for 25 like my granny did. That's why most people think they don't like them. Soggy sprouts are horrid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Turkey is nice, but ... You haven't properly observed Yule 'till you've had a Swedish julbord.

I just looked up what is included in a Julbord and it makes me wish two things:

1) I lived in Sweden

2) I actually liked meat of any kind (though I would be all over the fish courses, every single one of them).

• Like 1

@kali Wylder advised, "Consider the plight of the turkey."

Consider the plight of the turkeys
Who as soon as they've had some good sex
And laid eggs for the next generation,
Find that someone is wringing their necks.

Give thanks for your Thanksgiving dinner,
Give thanks for the pies large and small
But consider the plight of the turkey
Who, for your repast, gave his all.

©2019 by Lindal Kidd

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I just looked up what is included in a Julbord and it makes me wish two things:

1) I lived in Sweden

2) I actually liked meat of any kind (though I would be all over the fish courses, every single one of them).

The julbord is the epitome of the Swedish tradition of a 'Smörgåsbord', containing all the usual things (i.e. meatballs, pickled herrings, potatoes, smoked and/or graved salmon, etc), and with some Yule-specific items such as ham, Jansson's Frestelse (a potato casserole with anchovies), prinskorv ('prince sausage', a small, slightly soured sausage), beet salad, stewed cabbages (yes, different kinds!), Brussels sprouts, ribs, brawn, rice puddings ... Traditionally, you're supposed to take seven rounds:

1. Pickled herrings (different kinds, at least 3!) and other herring dishes (various dips/sauces, usually)
  2. Salmon round, fish pates, and occasionally other fish dishes (smoked flounder, for example - regional differences!) 
  3. Cold cuts, primarily the ham but often accompanied by smoked reindeer heart, tongue, sausages (cold ones), pig trotters, etc. This is also where you get a big serving of beet salad.
  4. 'the little warm' round: meatballs, the Jansson's, prinskorv, ribs.
  5. Cheeses (one of my favourite rounds!). Again, a minimum of three kinds, but at a fancy julbord you can expect 7-12. Also, crackers and jams.
  6. Dessert. Usually a rice pudding with orange slices or berries.
  7. Candy. Mozartkugeln, knäck (butterscotch candies), polkagris (peppermint flavoured candy sticks/bits), ice chocolate, saffron fudge, gingerbread cookies, etc.

And yes, that's all in one sitting - and don't forget the drinks! Dark beers, julmust (a malt soft drink), mead, mumma (a mixture of blond and dark beer, sweetened and spiced with cardamom), and, of course, schnapps (at least one schnapps for each of the first three rounds).

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

prinskorv

“The date was pretty fun but when we got back to my place I found out he has a prinskorv and that was the end of it.”

Putting this one in my vocabulary.

And Thanksgiving is not for everyone.

Can it be January now? I freaking hate the holidays. 

The poor roadkill turkey just makes it worse.

Yes, I’m grumpy and will be until January.

Happy whatever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

When you can get Turkey at less than a dollar per pound, you can do the turkey thing even more than two times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you! Although I do make a nice meal for Thanksgiving, I absolutely adore Christmas. Well I just love the whole grouping of holidays from Halloween to Christmas. My husband tells me I sparkle this time of year because of how happy I am (no, I'm not a Twilight vampire fortunately). I just love the feeling of magic that comes from the cooler weather, cozy clothes and the beauty I find in the world remembering how fortunate I am.

My neighbors and I usually take turns for Thanksgiving. This year it is my turn to cook so it will be a nice meal with friends, board games and movies.

I wish everyone a wonderful and pleasant day whether they celebrate something or not. 

Blessings and happiness to everyone. 💗

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

The julbord is the epitome of the Swedish tradition of a 'Smörgåsbord', containing all the usual things (i.e. meatballs, pickled herrings, potatoes, smoked and/or graved salmon, etc), and with some Yule-specific items such as ham, Jansson's Frestelse (a potato casserole with anchovies), prinskorv ('prince sausage', a small, slightly soured sausage), beet salad, stewed cabbages (yes, different kinds!), Brussels sprouts, ribs, brawn, rice puddings ...

I spent Christmas and the month of January, 1973 in Uppsala and remember julbord fondly.  It's a fine, warm tradition and a proper way to celebrate the season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I didn't want to say happy pre-Thanksgiving, because sl is a global network of people, and there are many the world over that do not celebrate this holiday...no reason or judgement necessary

So...instead..good mornfterning to all :) (I'm covering all my bases)

And a message...wouldn't be me without it...

Be good to yourselves, and be good to others. When you can't be good to yourself, please let others be good both to and for you. When you can't be good to others, be good enough to yourself to make a concerted effort to be good enough to others. If you're struggling with the season, for any reason, please reach out to someone, anyone, even if it's a perfect stranger, there is strength in numbers, that's not just a  cliche' saying.  Sometimes, this isn't an easy time of year, it's ok to have struggles, it's ok not to have struggles, and it's also okay not to know what to do about or with those struggles.  Just do your best and know that no matter what, you're good enough, you're wanted, you're liked, you're loved...and most importantly.....you're necessary. 

All of you, without exception.

Malcom.gif.e249c947fc7f89409e44574e1d4302e7.gif

TL;DR

Happy It's Hard to Soar with Eagles when You Work with Turkeys Day!

7 hours ago, BelindaN said:

It's the starting line for this..

c44ecb609fcb00b4f5773fa8690da126.jpg

The funny thing is,you can get black Friday deals online, sitting in your PJ's, having a nice cup of tea,in the safety of your own home.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

“The date was pretty fun but when we got back to my place I found out he has a prinskorv and that was the end of it.”

Putting this one in my vocabulary.

And Thanksgiving is not for everyone.

Can it be January now? I freaking hate the holidays. 

The poor roadkill turkey just makes it worse.

Yes, I’m grumpy and will be until January.

Happy whatever.

you and me both.  It's ok to be grumpy, my grumpiness settled in on Tuesday when people at work went overboard being thankful and sending heartfelt emails that drove me right up the wall. Then I alternated between morbidly imagining them all getting food poisoning and looking up dead turkey jokes. I imagine i will vacillate between maudlin sentimentality and imagining my funeral til Boxing Day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's sad when you can't enjoy Christmas, for sure. We have a family member who is just too ill to take part any more, which adds sadness to a winter festival.

We start late, at maybe five o'clock, with champagne, with olives & crisps. The starter is usually smoked salmon & prawns, and white wine. 

Turkey with sprouts, carrots, roast potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, bread sauce, and red wine.

Christmas pudding with custard, and port.

Then sleep it off......zzzzzzzz

• Like 1

I got to be honest, I have only a vague idea what exactly is celebrated on Thanks Giving (Isn't it just a US/Canada holiday?). The only thing I'm looking for is (hopefully) some good Black Friday deals online. Thats the only thing that has caught on here, but only online (which is fine for me. PJs + coffee > getting pushed around in an overheated shopping center).

13 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Growing up our family always did turkey for Thanksgiving and ham on Christmas.  Subsequently the ham shank from Christmas I would be used in Black eyed peas for New year's good luck. 😊

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.