Road trip

Kitteh Whiskers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

There is the game GTFO (F=freight) that involves driving, flying, and sailing. They do caravans. It may not be exactly what you want. But, they are people into the driving experience and they are likely to know of related groups.

thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I started doing this thing but I never got to finish it... http://deanhaystackroadtrip.blogspot.com/
I've been busy D;

There are no shortage of vehicles in SL but beware:
You will find a lot of security orbs and ban lines around, you cannot hit these or you'll either break your vehicle or just get ejected home.
Keep your minimap open, right click and Show > Property Lines, not available in all viewers.
The property lines will be invaluable and you can always trust them to stay away from private parcels and stick to protected land.

Do not use planes. Ever.
If your goal is to explore the mainland places are the worse vehicle you can pick. You can only stop mid air if you cheat, and odds are depending on your machine and connection you will travel faster than the world can render, so you won't see anything.

Helicopters, meh.
You can certainly do a lot of hovering around but you will feel tempted to go over parcels and you risk hitting a banline or an orb.

Cars or motorcycles.
You should know that not all are created equal, your driving experience will vary a lot depending on how the vehicle was built and scripted. For example I have a 4x4 that was actually designed to simulate hill climbing, I can even put the break on and leave it on an incline, most vehicles will just go crazy on such angles and slide down.
If you are sticking to the roads, most will work fine.

Another thing to remember, the more crossings you do, the more crazy SL gets, you will start getting your attachments detached pretty quick for example. Normally you can just re-attach them. When it gets too bad you might have to relog, and on very rare occasions your scripted objects (such as your head) might actually break. In these cases you might need to get a redeliver and set it up again.
Don't let that stop you, this happens very rarely but keep that in mind, a good strategy is to make a copy (not a link) of everything you wanna wear, head, body and so on, wear those copies on the trip, if they break they were just throw away copies anyway.

• Like 2

I go road tripping by my own when the time allows. I just have to have a final destination, enough to keep me motivated. Then I just go with the flow with several checkpoints I make on the way. I take some photographs of the landscape along way. Yea, that's the kind of road trip I'm doing and I'm loving it. I'd recommend doing that if you really wanna see around you, enjoying then with less lag.

• Like 1

@Katt Dragoone - I know this is a necro'd thread from your perspective, but what the heck, may as well reply to the original post:

Pick the rez zone of a continent (Bellisseria is especially fun for this). Open the world map and click a point at the opposite side of the continent. Then close the map, leave the beacon there.

Now, without ever opening the world map and only the minimap as your guide: Find you way to that beacon. It's not really a "road trip" as described with overnight stays, etc., but it's the next best thing and can be loads of fun.

The next best thing to this is as @animats described: Drivers of SL - you don't have to join the group, but you should landmark their HQ location where you can grab the HUD every week. The Grid Drive is a waypoint-based exploration drive, sometimes it is theme-based with a story to it and it's definitely better and more fun that GTFO. GTFO is great last resort when you're desperate to dissuade boredom.

As for my GTFO comment: the problem with GTFO is there is no risk, you cannot lose, even if you try to. You'd have to be hell-bent on losing if that's what you want to do. Basically all it is is a "Point A to Point B" hud and otherwise entirely pointless (they've been talking about a leaderboard for years: still nothing that I've seen, but I gave up looking some time ago.) You don't even have to reach the destination location, just enter the region and you're done there. So if you want to give that a go: grab the free version, then decide if it's worth L$600 to level-up beyond the limits of the free version.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 6:58 AM, Alyona Su said:

@Katt Dragoone - I know this is a necro'd thread from your perspective, but what the heck, may as well reply to the original post:

Pick the rez zone of a continent (Bellisseria is especially fun for this). Open the world map and click a point at the opposite side of the continent. Then close the map, leave the beacon there.

Now, without ever opening the world map and only the minimap as your guide: Find you way to that beacon. It's not really a "road trip" as described with overnight stays, etc., but it's the next best thing and can be loads of fun.

The next best thing to this is as @animats described: Drivers of SL - you don't have to join the group, but you should landmark their HQ location where you can grab the HUD every week. The Grid Drive is a waypoint-based exploration drive, sometimes it is theme-based with a story to it and it's definitely better and more fun that GTFO. GTFO is great last resort when you're desperate to dissuade boredom.

As for my GTFO comment: the problem with GTFO is there is no risk, you cannot lose, even if you try to. You'd have to be hell-bent on losing if that's what you want to do. Basically all it is is a "Point A to Point B" hud and otherwise entirely pointless (they've been talking about a leaderboard for years: still nothing that I've seen, but I gave up looking some time ago.) You don't even have to reach the destination location, just enter the region and you're done there. So if you want to give that a go: grab the free version, then decide if it's worth L$600 to level-up beyond the limits of the free version.

Late reply but thank you very much. I will definetly check all that out ❤️

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, Katt Dragoone said:

Are there such things as road trips in SL? Where you can get a car or camper, drive, stop at rest stop, hotels etc

Hi Katt check out Unity Passengers which is a group of air travelers in SL flying in a variety of airplanes, by bus, and by boat.  Once you sign up for the group they will send you trip announcements which you can participate in within 10 to 15 minutes of the announcement.  They fly all over SL into some beautiful sim locations and you can chat with fellow passengers along the way:D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jace2112 said:

Hi Katt check out Unity Passengers which is a group of air travelers in SL flying in a variety of airplanes, by bus, and by boat.  Once you sign up for the group they will send you trip announcements which you can participate in within 10 to 15 minutes of the announcement.  They fly all over SL into some beautiful sim locations and you can chat with fellow passengers along the way:D

Thank you that sounds fun!

I often see people on road trips driving around the Moth Continent (Heterocera). Sometimes alone, sometimes in packs. There aren't that many of them; there are a million more of those unpiloted pods cluttering up the roads. But there are some, and sometimes they stop and talk to me. Some of them are tenants in my camps. I think there is actually a fair-sized population of people in SL who do road trips, either solo and sporadically or more organized in groups. 

I think if you just set out on the highway, you will find them!

• Like 2

I'm seeing more people on the roads. By the way, on mainland, please drive on the right. I had a head-on collision with a heavy truck which was on the wrong side of the road.

(There are drive on the left sims, such as Mopire, which is 3 sims of a Tokyo-like tangle of elevated freeways, rail lines, and ground-level streets, with Japanese road markings and signage.)

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.