BelindaN

What I learned about SL this week.

I looked at the earlier post, and rather than restart it, have set off another :)

Anyone who has been here a while knows the challenges of starting out, and getting the basics to work. Including understanding MP, and AOs, and shapes/skins. Then the challenges of mesh and appliers. I now have a working knowledge of all this, which is necessary to function day to day. The next locked door for me is BOM, and for now, I won't be looking.

Most days in SL I have a lightbulb moment. Most recently was furnishing my house for the first time, when I really had to come to grips with prims and for the very first time, shopped in MP with regard prim count. There's much I still don't know, such as scripts and why some clothing allows deletion, but I just get on with it and don't worry too much about stuff like that until it hits me in the face.

My greatest continuing weakness is impulse buying clothes which either look rubbish or clip where they shouldn't. I'm not good at demoing clothes, and should know better by now.

So, this week I learned how much I don't know about BDSM......*grins* I had a brush with this early on, and minor experiences since. But this time it was different. I went to a club with a recent girl friend. It turned out to be focused on BDSM. Now I'm just curious, but she was way more than that. It wasn't long before she returned and the next day she was collared and owned, and happy to be so.

As a casual observer, I found this whole thing very enlightening, as it shone a light into an SL world which I know little about. She has two Mistresses, and a Domme, and there are other girls in the group, some of which are slaves. The one obvious  benefit she has from this, is that her Mistresses have upgraded how she looks, and she now is transformed from how she was when I first met her. But the thing which struck me most about this was the intense formal structure to the Roleplay. It's not for me though, I'm just too rebellious.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

It's not for me though, I'm just too rebellious.

The right dominant can fix that. ~snorts~

The wonderful thing about Second Life is how we are able to experiment with just about anything and everything. I never used drugs, but I remember when "magic mushrooms" were a big thing in SL. I was amazed at what they did back then and I had to ask "Is this what it feels like?" LOL I did the D/s thing, and studied it, talked to some RL D/s types (in RL, so I know who and what they really are) and so on. I discovered that 95% of the D/s crowd in SL are just experimenting like the rest of us (for example: BDSM does not always involve sex) and that D/s is still 75% "vanilla" (everyday living like the rest of the world).

Now, head over to Temple of the Collar, put on your trollopiest outfit, and go kneel on the ground like a good little sah-lut and beg for a collar. You know what they say: You don't know what you're missing, so try it, you may like it. LOL

If not, go grab a demo locomotive and try out the SLRR. That's a lot of fun, too. And boating, and - OH, You have to visit the countless amusement parks. There are even a couple amazing recreations of Disney Land. The point being: keep at it. The amazement never stops unless you allow it to.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

It wasn't long before she returned and the next day she was collared and owned, and happy to be so.

Those that collar someone or allow themselves to be collared within a day also demonstrate how much they don't know about BDSM. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

The right dominant can fix that. ~snorts~

You sound like a lot of fun @Alyona Su, especially the snort.

Also... great thread @BelindaN

For me I have learned how to operate the LumiPro system better this week. In real life I am a boudoir/fitness/pin-up photographer and controlling lights is second nature now after 15 years or so, but there are different things that complicate things on Second Life. I am having a lot of fun taking pictures but like anything it requires me to dig in deeper and deeper. The devil is in the details.

I am researching and buying up flattering poses. I am also researching beautiful sims to use as the backdrop, and eventually I will need a volunteer or two to go out shooting with me sometimes.

I want to do some self portraits but I don't know enough to make sure my avatar looks his best. He looks great, but I find the head hasn't blended perfectly with his body. There is slight discolouration around the neck. I also find the ears for some reason don't exactly match either. It's not noticeable, but it is when you do a headshot. I would love to find someone who could walk me through in detail how to make Charlie look his best and in turn I would reward them with a light spanking or a photo shoot, or both.

5 minutes ago, Marut72 said:

For me I have learned how to operate the LumiPro system better this week. In real life I am a boudoir/fitness/pin-up photographer and controlling lights is second nature now after 15 years or so, but there are different things that complicate things on Second Life. I am having a lot of fun taking pictures but like anything it requires me to dig in deeper and deeper. The devil is in the details.

I am researching and buying up flattering poses. I am also researching beautiful sims to use as the backdrop, and eventually I will need a volunteer or two to go out shooting with me sometimes.

I want to do some self portraits but I don't know enough to make sure my avatar looks his best. He looks great, but I find the head hasn't blended perfectly with his body. There is slight discolouration around the neck. I also find the ears for some reason don't exactly match either. It's not noticeable, but it is when you do a headshot. I would love to find someone who could walk me through in detail how to make Charlie look his best and in turn I would reward them with a light spanking or a photo shoot, or both.

/me points to her butt: I have model release for this right here already to go.

I love to do Snapshotting also. A lot. But I always forget to do it! I miss so many fantastic opportunities to take a snapshot and I kind of facepalm when I realize it just didn't;t occur to me. As when I get an idea, it's usually some kind of selfie. Mostly because my in-world time schedule is usually when the grid is at its leanest in popularity, so it's difficult to plan a photo-session-expedition.

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Now, head over to Temple of the Collar, put on your trollopiest outfit, and go kneel on the ground like a good little sah-lut and beg for a collar. You know what they say: You don't know what you're missing, so try it, you may like it. LOL

That's the ticket. It really cuts down on the drama-potential when they ask for it. That, and the fact that the women have the men so outnumbered. It is just impossible to keep up with demand.

Edited by Erwin Solo
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, CaraTriple said:

Those that collar someone or allow themselves to be collared within a day also demonstrate how much they don't know about BDSM. 

Well, yeah - I have to agree - even though I know nothing about BDSM, the speed of her adoption shocked me. The Domme/Sub relationship is alluring, but not on those terms and not when it overwhelms everything else, which for her it has.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marut72 said:

I'm happy to volunteer for a photoshoot, but the best source on here for info about neck seams is Skell and Orwar, who know more than me to the power of ten.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Well, yeah - I have to agree - even though I know nothing about BDSM, the speed of her adoption shocked me. The Domme/Sub relationship is alluring, but not on those terms and not when it overwhelms everything else, which for her it has.

Don't worry! Too many know nothing about BDSM and are just their kinky vanilla self.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I'm happy to volunteer for a photoshoot, but the best source on here for info about neck seams is Skell and Orwar, who know more than me to the power of ten.

Thanks. I'll have to contact Skell and Orwar. Sounds like a second life comedy duo :)

And you pick out 5-7 outfits and we'll get rolling... some scenic spots would be nice too.

@Alyona Su can come and bring a paddle!

40 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Neck seams are fairly straightforward, in so far as: they're there. All 3D mesh objects have seams due to the UV maps being 2-dimensional; bodies themselves have them, as well (usually along the inside of the arms and legs, along the waist, by the wrists and ankles, and over the shoulders). The reason the neck seem in particular tends to be problematic is because the head and body are two separate entities, that are separately lit within Second Life - furthermore there can be differences in the magnitudes of the specular and normal maps, furthering the blatancy of the border of the two meshes.

If you T-pose your avatar, and put on a studio WL to over-light the scene, and match the two entities to perfection - well, the moment you change the lighting setup for your scene or move your avatar, you'll have another lighting to work with, and the seam will be back (this is also one reason that, particularly men in Second Life, may find other body parts difficult to match in colour).

Neck sheathes may improve that one hard line across the throat, but, it suffers from the same issue of being a separate entity, and whilst it tends to go out in a gradient towards both sides, this gradient is rarely perfect, especially if your head moves so that it cuts into your hair instead, or just leave a beam of skin poking out of your neck and seemingly smelts into the empty space around it. If I had to hide the seam, an accessory such as a choker avoids such issues.

But it's also one of the easiest things to fix in editing, as far as SL photography is concerned. In GIMP (and probably more or less the same in PS):

• Select the Heal tool.
  • Select a brush with a relatively smooth gradient.
  • Set the spacing to 0.
  • Set the brush opacity to between 80-90%.
  • Take a sample of the skin near where you wish to edit it.
  • Make short, overlapping strokes across the grain of the seam.

Seam.thumb.png.0464fcbfbafac5fb08ef22a139dec757.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marut72 said:

I have learned how to operate the LumiPro system better this week.

... And uh, I offer a free, better (0 scripts!) version of a wearable lighting system on my MP. As well as a camera positioning HUD. 🤔

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:
15 minutes ago, Marut72 said:
1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

Thanks. I'll have to contact Skell and Orwar. Sounds like a second life comedy duo :)

And you pick out 5-7 outfits and we'll get rolling... some scenic spots would be nice too.

@Alyona Su can come and bring a paddle!

Neck seams are fairly straightforward,

OR... you could just wear a *COLLAR*. Just saying. Hahahaha!

Oh, and hey..,. paddle, too?

Okay, sorry. I just could NOT resist. But you know me by now. Muahahaha!

~Blows sincere kisses to all three of you~

(Which reminds, me - I still need to send that money to Orwar for my specialize, exclusive, super-insult.)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Orwar said:

... And uh, I offer a free, better (0 scripts!) version of a wearable lighting system on my MP. As well as a camera positioning HUD. 🤔

I swear by his lighting system.  I can't be bothered to learn anything complicated and I use this thing in probably 98% of my pics.  It's especially great when I'm on a sim I don't have rez rights, but need lighting. 

11 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

tenor.gif.bcbdecc5e976ae5c1b9cf64cf8f4931e.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Catrie said:
20 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I swear by his lighting system.  I can't be bothered to learn anything complicated and I use this thing in probably 98% of my pics.  It's especially great when I'm on a sim I don't have rez rights, but need lighting. 

I just wanted to say that I only use dis for my photos when I'm not just using the windlights provided by Firestorm. U: it really is simple, flexible, and just as effective.

• Like 1

Hi.

I understand that a great many women enjoy playing out rape fantasies, RPing "s****", identify as submissive, belong to the BDSM community, etc. That's a woman's choice, and I entirely respect her right to make it.

But can we please stop using demeaning and sexist language here?

This is a public forum, it is not an RP site, your bedroom or dungeon, or sex sim. It is not appropriate to refer to women as "s*****" here, nor to reference women "begging for it," or characterizing females in SL like they were shiny and cheap goods on a shelf at your local grocery. You want to do this in private conversations where consent is possible, or at appropriate venues, then fine: go for it. But not here, where, intentionally or not, it is referencing all women.

It should be possible to talk about all of these things -- collaring, BDSM, or sex in general -- without using language that smears and degrades all women.

Please keep it in RP, people, or somewhere where it belongs.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hi.

I understand that a great many women enjoy playing out rape fantasies, RPing "s****", identify as submissive, belong to the BDSM community, etc. That's a woman's choice, and I entirely respect her right to make it.

But can we please stop using demeaning and sexist language here?

This is a public forum, it is not an RP site, your bedroom or dungeon, or sex sim. It is not appropriate to refer to women as "s*****" here, nor to reference women "begging for it," or characterizing females in SL like they were shiny and cheap goods on a shelf at your local grocery. You want to do this in private conversations where consent is possible, or at appropriate venues, then fine: go for it. But not here, where, intentionally or not, it is referencing all women.

It should be possible to talk about all of these things -- collaring, BDSM, or sex in general -- without using language that smears and degrades all women.

Please keep it in RP, people, or somewhere where it belongs.

So this might just be my brain still in post-work cruise control mode... but what?

I can't see anything wrong with this thread. No demeaning language, nor anything else you're referencing here. In other posts, sure; but not this one.

Unless I'm missing something?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Marut72 said:

Scenic spots are no problem, they abound as beaches, wilderness, and urban. Some are extra ordinary. 

Outfits are more problematic. In the greater SL world I don't have many, around 160 saved, which is low-end compared to the Queens of fashion here. Of course, each of my alts has mid 40's, so between us we have an outfit for any occasion or backdrop. So selecting the right ones is tied in with the locations. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

That's the ticket. It really cuts down on the drama-potential when they ask for it. That, and the fact that the women have the men so outnumbered. It is just impossible to keep up with demand.

Hang on a minute, Mr Lover Lover. The other day you were telling us which search terms you use when you're Googling wtf to do when you meet women, because everyone knows they are an alien species that need to be studied and analysed, and they're not just people. But apparently they're all throwing their skirts over their heads and falling over at the mere sight of your pulsing testosterone?

Which is it? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AyelaNewLife said:

So this might just be my brain still in post-work cruise control mode... but what?

I can't see anything wrong with this thread. No demeaning language, nor anything else you're referencing here. In other posts, sure; but not this one.

Unless I'm missing something?

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

To which the reply (which, while it does not use "s***" is actually more objectionable:

3 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

I'm tired of women being commodified through language. Using these characterizations is just. So. Unnecessary.

It should be possible for men and women to express their sexual selves in all of the diverse ways, including submission and rape fantasy, that they can without this kind of public and reductive characterization of the gender.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

To which the reply (which, while it does not use "s***" is actually more objectionable:

I would have hoped the context of my entire comment would have given the impression that the line you quoted was in jest as an attempt at humor. Those who have seen my posts over the months and years have pretty much gotten a bead on my antics and I will be first so admit that at times my attempts are epic failures.

Therefore, I'll not proffer a politically-correct spin on an apology, though instead,  a genuine one: I will not say I am sorry that you've taken offense at that line, but rather I will say I am sorry that I offended you.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I would have hoped the context of my entire comment would have given the impression that the line you quoted was in jest as an attempt at humor. Those who have seen my posts over the months and years have pretty much gotten a bead on my antics and I will be first so admit that at times my attempts are epic failures.

Therefore, a non-politically-correct spin on an apologize, but a genuine one: I will not say I am sorry that you've taken offense at that line, but rather I will say I am sorry that I offended you.

We just gotta work on your mic drops

1B8CAC80-7719-43B1-92FB-3380B401AADF.gif