Selling RL objects in SL

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, animats said:

Someone must have tried this. I'm surprised that there's not something like an IKEA store in SL, where you can see the RL items and order them. Maybe lay out your living room in a sandbox before ordering.

This was an idea that was much mooted ca. 2008 or so, when SL was going to be the "3D Web," and a number of corporations had sims and stores in-world. I don't know if any of them ever went so far as to actually create prim models of their goods, but it was certainly talked about.

The problem, it seems to me, is the same as it was then: the learning curve to function even minimally in-world is far too steep for someone who just wants to check out how a piece of furniture might look. And the existing resident base of SL is far too small to make it worthwhile just catering to us.

What is needed for what you describe is, I think, a really simple web-based tool, rather than an entire (and very complicated) virtual world.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, animats said:

Someone must have tried this. I'm surprised that there's not something like an IKEA store in SL, where you can see the RL items and order them. Maybe lay out your living room in a sandbox before ordering.

There were quite  a few companies here a decade or so ago. Nike and a popular car company (Maybe Toyata but not sure). Both gave away virtual products which was fun. But didn't pan out well. That was the same era that there was a CSI crime scene sim and such (or at least they have blurred together for me). 

So far as Sansar goes, ther do a lot of partnerships with brands, but the functionality isn't there for this type of thing. 

• Like 1

EGM just put out an article on SL that mentioned this concept, but I don't think it ever came to fruition.  The article is pretty long, if you don't have time to read the whole thing just Ctrl-F "bespoke" and the relevant paragraph will appear.  Depending on your OS, of course.  It's a pretty respectful article too, as far as articles about SL go.

https://egmnow.com/the-second-life-that-wasnt/

• Like 1

The one I remember most was the Adidas shoe sim with this incredibly high prim shoe. I found a link about it. https://www.campaignlive.com/article/adidas-targets-avatars-shop-second-life/592537

All of the corporate styled sims really didn't seem to fit with what SL actually was and they died out. I think Sansar was designed to fulfill that role where you have a professionally created location and people simply visit the place. 

What I've been slowly working on is creating something in SL, exporting it and then using a 3D-printer to create it in RL. I'm not doing it with the intention of selling, just as part of my modelling activity.

It's unrealistic to export an entire build and expect it to be 3D-printed unless it's a statue or inanimate item, things like a railway carriage or truck is exported as a set of pieces that are printed individually and then put together.

And no, I'm not doing full-size things, I'm scaling down appropriately. The simplest program I've found so far for this is the Amibilis 3DCrafter which does an excellent resizing. This is necessary because SL only works to the centimetre and I need things dimensions to fractions of a millimetre.

I haven't so far considered this as leading up to making actual sales, but I suppose it's a possibility, although given the plethora of free things to grab on places like Thingiverse and the general ethos that whatever is put on the web is there for grabs makes me thing that only giant organisations with the resources to field a legal team to watch for pirating are going to be able to actually use SL for marketing in this manner.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

10 hours ago, animats said:

It was already attempted back in 2006-7. American Apparel and many others were here in SL. They had their catalogs in-world and, if I remember correctly, there were a couple of merchants where you could actually place and order through their in-world vendor and the product would be shipped to you.

This was back in the gold-rush days of SL. It also was a time when Linden Lab was 100% Hands-off; anything and everything goes (except for TOS-breakage stuff) and a lot of those merchants became more and more wary of the sex-side of SL with no clear borders or areas to segregate. So there would have been more, and many that were here left because of that, and the others found it unprofitable to do.

11 hours ago, animats said:

That's interesting...I've never thought of that for real companies.

Although I thought SL could be an interesting platform for interior designers to make a layout, photograph and show to clients in regards to furniture style, color scheme, fabrics, etc... using 3D models and then sending the photographs in an email to their clients. 

Oh, and I also thought of kind the reverse...using a platform like SL to create your designs and then sell the design to real companies who would replicate it.   

Edited by FairreLilette

3 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Some of the apparel in my inventory, I would buy if I could find it in RL.  But even if there were an RL clothing and shoe range available in SL, it's a limited market I guess.

As far as a lot of the sexy clothes and shoes in SL they are similar to Frederick's of Hollywood.

Doesn't this dress below look like a SL dress?  Frederick's of Hollywood has a lot of the same things.   Also, part of my business on Ebay was selling vintage clothing although not all of it.  Send me a few photos of what you are looking for, I may know some leads for you.  

Frederick's of Hollywood Website:  (To find clothing - click on Fall Collection.  They sell a lot of lingerie but they also sell clothing too.)  You may be able to request catalogs also.  

https://www.fredericks.com/fall-lingerie-collection?offset=0&limit=36  

fredericks.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh, and I also thought of kind the reverse...using a platform like SL to create your designs and then sell the design to real companies who would replicate it. 

This also has actually happened, also back in 2006. I remember news stories about clothing creators *back then it was all system laters, so basically: image editing) who were hired on with RL clothing companies. Those were the amazing days of SL. I wish we could have them back, but without the amazing lag, glitches, and weekly grid shutdown. LOL

44 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Doesn't this dress below look like a SL dress?

You have a great point! I may me incorrect, but I believe that is lingerie. Frederick's is well-known as an intimate apparel company to my recollection. Usually on the super-upscale type stuff that one would not normally wear in general public, but rather to high-dollar events and hanging with the elite crowd. Think "millionaire cliques". 

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

As far as a lot of the sexy clothes and shoes in SL they are similar to Frederick's of Hollywood.

Doesn't this dress below look like a SL dress?  Frederick's of Hollywood has a lot of the same things.   Also, part of my business on Ebay was selling vintage clothing although not all of it.  Send me a few photos of what you are looking for, I may know some leads for you.  

Well......at the very tip of my iceberg are the Blueberry Tali pants.  Basically tight narrow legged leather Jeans. In order of preference, pink, orange, white............

Yes I'm eccentric :)

13 hours ago, animats said:

Wasn't there a US pizza chain (might have been Pizza Hut but can't say for certain) which had a SL sim, where you could order RL food?

ie - You could click on a vendor with 5 lines of floaty script and it linked you to the chain's website 😩

Somebody I knew once had the highly illegal idea of building a SL 'record shop' where you could click on covers in the rack, pay them and get a link to the files of said album. Thankfully for him and the RIAA, he was far too lazy and erratic to go ahead with it 😊

13 hours ago, animats said:

It has been done before. There used to be several real world companies doing business in Second Life. Dell once sold computers on the grid. This was back before the unfortunate loss of the dreams everyone had for the grid. It was supposed to become a game changer for doing business before it turned into just another "game". Oh well. The potential is there still. Maybe one day!

Edited by Adam Spark

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Well......at the very tip of my iceberg are the Blueberry Tali pants.  Basically tight narrow legged leather Jeans. In order of preference, pink, orange, white............

Yes I'm eccentric :)

Oh you'd love shopping in L.A. or Hollywood...they have tons of those.

Vegan or real leather though?  Or either?  

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

You have a great point! I may me incorrect, but I believe that is lingerie. Frederick's is well-known as an intimate apparel company to my recollection. Usually on the super-upscale type stuff that one would not normally wear in general public, but rather to high-dollar events and hanging with the elite crowd. Think "millionaire cliques". 

Frederick's of Hollywood is really sexy items.  They have some clothing available right now (like the dresses I will put below) but there actual store in Hollywood used to have more clothing...have not been there in a while though.  Victoria's Secret used to have clothing too...but all I'm coming up with On Victoria's Secret online is lingerie or accessories and beauty.   Frederick's of Hollywood has super sexy dresses like the ones on MP but doesn't seem to have as much as they used too.   I think the 2nd dress looks like a dress on SL.  Though it's always been a fad in Hollywood to use parts of lingerie as real clothing.  

These dresses and other sexy ones are available now at Frederick's of Hollywood and not a lot of money either >

dress.jpg

dress2.jpg

dress3.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette

44 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

/me swoons.......

Yeah, I know...you should see some of the shoes out here...each pair is a work of art.  

Belinda...I kinda thought there is sort of a shift happening in fashion right now as it's kind of going towards the bell bottom or flare leg again.  

A clothing store with the absolutely cutest clothes I've ever seen is FREE PEOPLE.

I'll provide the link for FREE PEOPLE below but the pants are mostly "different" or bell bottom flare style now due to this change in pant styles.  I prefer straight leg myself.  

I did see two pair of pink leather vegan Free People pants (straight leg) on Ebay that is adorable (pic below).  I'll have to keep searching as a lot are going towards flares.  One company that still has straight leg faux leather and is one of the most comfortable is SPANX but she seems to have limited colors but they are a good fit and not some crazy fit made for a 4ft 9in Asian girl child.  Unfortunately, shopping online can be difficult.  So I am giving you more realistic American companies wherein it won't be sized more or less for small Asian people.  I think you said you were tall.  Spanx may fit the bill as it's partly stretchy and therefore if purchasing online stretches to fit your contours.   A lot of the Asian sellers on Ebay have great prices but their sizing is difficult.  

Free People Pink Leather Leggings (there are two pair on Ebay right now - and gorgeous - photo below.)

Link to FREE PEOPLE

https://www.freepeople.com/?mrkgcl=720&mrkgadid=1954629580&utm_content=-Top+Traffic+Exact&adpos=1t1&creative=359700039966&device=c&matchtype=e&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg4T49aKL5gIVUtbACh3fAglHEAAYASAAEgJ5iPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

freepeople.jpg

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.