Give away a rezzed object

Cielo Aulder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is making me crazy and I would like to know if it's possible to do it.
What I wanna do is giving an object that is inside the inventory of the giver object, but I wanna customize it a little bit first, like changing textures or colors based on the 'toucher' input and then send it or attach it to another person.
I don't wanna send it to the 'toucher' but someone else. So first attaching it and then customize it is not an option.
The best for me would be to rez it, customize it and then send it, and this works fine with llAttachToAvatarTemp but I don't want people to lose it when they log off.
Any ideas on how could I sort out this problem?

No, you can't completely transfer ownership of an item while it's rezzed. There's complicated technical reasons for that.

But there might be some workarounds, like having the object "customize itself" the first time it notices that its owner has changed, but obviously this requires that you are able to write the script in a way that can determine all the customizations automatically, which may not be practical or even possible. (Depends what those changes are based on.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Thank you Wulfie Reanimator. Yes, I will have to think on some other way to do it. "Customize itself" is somehow what I intended to do, but thing is I need a way to keep the 'toucher' input information to customize the object. If I send the object first or try to do it on the changed event I believe I will be losing all the information. Anyway, thanks for your answer.

I can think of a few ways to do this, but each is clumsy in its own way.  At the core, each involves rezzing the object, temp attaching it to yourself (the buyer), modifying it with dialog-driven menu options, and then sending all of the information about those options to yourself as a chat message.  You then copy out that information and send it to the intended gift recipient, separate from the object itself.  The gift recipient then feeds your saved configuration information into her own copy to apply the customization.  It's awkward, no matter how you do it, although you could script at least some of it to make the business of saving and reapplying the options less prone to user error.  You could really make it friendlier if you and the recipient had access to an Experience, so you could pass the configuration information in KVP.  All in all, it's a heck of a lot of work.

Thank you for your answer Rolig Loon. What I did for now is just sending a copy of the object without textures and totally invisible, when the person wears it it sends a message to the giver object and then it replies with the information needed to customize the object. It's not what I really wanted to do, i feel it's a bit clumsy as you said and I'm afraid it can get errors on sims with heavy lag but I've been testing it and seems to be working.

Yes, that's pretty much what was in my own mind too. It's awkward no matter which way you do it, and especially if the end user is not on the same region as the server you have created as your rezzer. As I said, it would be somewhat less clumsy if you could pass the customization information through KVP, but that would require using a grid-wide Experience, which is not an option in SL yet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.