Looking for good 1LI mesh grass

Fritigern Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been looking high and low, but there is so much mesh grass out there that I am going nuts just trying to find a good patch.

So what am I looking for?

• Dense grass
  • Medium to dark green
  • Square patches
  • Non-ridiculous bounding box (I have tested some grass which, when rezzed, could be found way up in the air)
  • 1-3 LI per patch

I am okay with some wildflowers in the grass, or if round patches are included alongside square patches, but I intend to use the grass in a way that it would get the focus a lot, hence my requirement of it being a dense kind of grass.

So.... would anybody be able to help me find this?

13 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I have been looking high and low, but there is so much mesh grass out there that I am going nuts just trying to find a good patch.

• Dense grass
  • Medium to dark green
  • Square patches
  • Non-ridiculous bounding box (I have tested some grass which, when rezzed, could be found way up in the air)
  • 1-3 LI per patch

I am okay with some wildflowers in the grass, or if round patches are included alongside square patches, but I intend to use the grass in a way that it would get the focus a lot, hence my requirement of it being a dense kind of grass.

LI is going to depend on what size you want. Also most grass I see mesh wise still uses the old fashioned sculpt manner to generate including using alpha blending.

• Like 1

T-Spot mesh - did you visit there?  I use their grass but I don't like dense too much except for flower beds.  

Lunaria stuff by Larinda Ravenheart maybe has something you could try.   Lunaria is inworld also.  Anc and Half Deer have some cool flower things too.   But, sorry, I don't know about where exactly is dense.   But, yeah, it's pretty much what Drayke said as far as what I've found.  It's sounds like you are looking for sod grass maybe like what is available in rl. 

Here is Lunaria link anyhow.  Very affordable, cool stuff.   Lunaria has round.  Moonlit grass is round, I think...as may be others.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/121409

Okay...more info...I typed in sod grass and it gave me flat grass.  I didn't have time to check much of it..here is the link:

Oh forget IT...just looked at the prim count on the flat grass...it's way high!  Lunaria and T-spot have the 1 LI range.  

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=sod+grass

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

T-Spot mesh - did you visit there?  I use their grass but I don't like dense too much except for flower beds.  

Lunaria stuff by Larinda Ravenheart maybe has something you could try.   Lunaria is inworld also.  Anc and Half Deer have some cool flower things too.   But, sorry, I don't know about where exactly is dense.   But, yeah, it's pretty much what Drayke said as far as what I've found.  It's sounds like you are looking for sod grass maybe like what is available in rl. 

Here is Lunaria link anyhow.  Very affordable, cool stuff.   Lunaria has round.  Moonlit grass is round, I think...as may be others.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/121409

Okay...more info...I typed in sod grass and it gave me flat grass.  I didn't have time to check much of it..here is the link:

Oh forget IT...just looked at the prim count on the flat grass...it's way high!  Lunaria and T-spot have the 1 LI range.  

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=sod+grass

Yeah, that's the issue with a lot of the grass thats mesh. The denser you go the more LI it is and also usually requires multiple mesh grass sections combined to make it look better.

I should really get around to putting the grass a friend and I made for our sim years ago up for sale. Just never thought that people would want it as we thought it was pretty basic, bad texturing and to flat looking.

Looks like the below image and has a LI of 1@5-10m, 3@20m and 11@40m. Would need to tweak the texture repeats at the higher levels though. Pic shown is 20x20m @3LI (2.7LI to be exact). Height is 1m and we just used to drag it into the ground so that you got some variation in height every now and then.

Grass_sml_001.thumb.png.48675916bfb2623e16cd7c18dc1040fe.pngGrass_sml_002.thumb.png.b16563c06646ca715e53014eef989f1f.png

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Not sure if this'll be any good it's 1 Li L$10 mesh https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Anna-Erotica-Meadow-Grass-1-Prim/8008408

grass03.jpg?1446820191

Oh yeah, she has good stuff...I've used her 1 Prim Pine Tress and 1 prim Tulip beds.   Never saw that before...but I've liked all the stuff I've bought from Anna Erotica.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

I should really get around to putting the grass a friend and I made for our sim years ago up for sale. Just never thought that people would want it as we thought it was pretty basic, bad texturing and to flat looking.

Looks like the below image and has a LI of 1@5-10m, 3@20m and 11@40m. Would need to tweak the texture repeats at the higher levels though. Pic shown is 20x20m @3LI (2.7LI to be exact). Height is 1m and we just used to drag it into the ground so that you got some variation in height every now and then.

Grass_sml_001.thumb.png.48675916bfb2623e16cd7c18dc1040fe.pngGrass_sml_002.thumb.png.b16563c06646ca715e53014eef989f1f.png

I love the density of that grass!!! Would you be willing to share that grass with me, or sell it to me, whichever you prefer? 

@Claireschen Hesten : I've picked up the 3 types of grass at Anna Erotica, but I'm afraid that none of them has the density that I am looking for. I could overlap a bunch of them but that would become quite costly in terms of LI. :)

@FairreLilette : Thank you for your links, I have no yet checked them out, but will do so ASAP. I did not ignore your post :D

@momomoonusagi : I will check out your suggestion, although in the pic the grass looks rather open. Maybe it looks better to me in-world.

Okay checked words like TURF...but I think turf is for golf courses and I don't see any on MP.  The only other term I could think of was "heavy grass" but "heavy grass" came up with nothing either.  We use the term "heavy grass" where I am from as well as "sod grass".   

Good luck and hope you share the photos too...cause it sounds so different.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I love the density of that grass!!! Would you be willing to share that grass with me, or sell it to me, whichever you prefer? 

Sent to you inworld via IM (hopefully was you haha). As to Chic Aeon's post about triangle count details etc. Details for the grass in the pic is below:

Faces: 2
Vertices: 1,656
Triangles: 828
Complex.: 673

Textures: 1
TMem: 2,048 KB
VRAM: 2,048 KB

Edited by Drayke Newall

8 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

• Dense grass
  • Medium to dark green
  • Square patches
  • 1-3 LI per patch

I have never found a grass in SL I am happy with, but some I'm less unhappy than others. An issue is whether you can afford to have the grass look good AND have a high land impact count.

I think these merchants have pretty good grass:

Simply Shelby

KIDD

alir flow/allirium

Hayabusa

But I find myself mixing and matching and using different ones for different things, for example Fourth Wall has the coloured grasses. Dysfunctionality (DDD) has grass with wildflowers.

A lot of grass looks like a circle or has gaps in it requiring you to mix and match them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

• Dense grass
  • Medium to dark green
  • Square patches
  • 1-3 LI per patch

Funny you should ask. I'm launching a series of grass fields today, including some variants that are much denser than any I've ever seen in SL.

They are sculpts, not mesh. They have to be. With density as high as they are the land impact as mesh would be sky high even if you totally butcher the LoD models.

They are also 2 LI by default because they to use alpha masking to avoid alpha blending and grass lag. The script lets you switch to alpha blenging. That'll reduce the LI to 1 and also give a smoother look but it's usually not recommended.

Oh yes, the script. Resizer, texture changer, a (slightly dodgy) grow function, plant density adjustment, optional insect particles... it's got it.

Here's one of the variants:

663003950_OPQGrassField04Square_003.jpg.f82b7e49d696fae0187081fccd515337.jpg109886985_OPQGrassField04Square_002.jpg.13519f18c0df8ca56a3aeb4fb7655d10.jpg999651692_OPQGrassField04Square_001.jpg.34b75bbdc6b5da1a88d9560a85c49c03.jpg1489382550_OPQGrassField04Square_004.jpg.ff52c088862ba195eaf7e31be857f290.jpg514560898_OPQGrassField04Square_007.jpg.a2eeaae129b392035e586cc46584d8fc.jpg1512346601_OPQGrassField04Square_006.jpg.29a2e2cca9077b1418513159f6788e64.jpg

OPQ Grass Field 04 Square_005.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Funny you should ask. I'm launching a series of grass fields today, including some variants that are much denser than any I've ever seen in SL.

They are sculpts, not mesh. They have to be. With density as high as they are the land impact as mesh would be sky high even if you totally butcher the LoD models.

They are also 2 LI by default because they to use alpha masking to avoid alpha blending and grass lag. The script lets you switch to alpha blenging. That'll reduce the LI to 1 and also give a smoother look but it's usually not recommended.

Oh yes, the script. Resizer, texture changer, a (slightly dodgy) grow function, plant density adjustment, optional insect particles... it's got it.

Are some of the grass white as in frostcovered grass?

grass-851956_1280.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm looking forward to seeing that grass in person. It sounds like something I could definitely use for my current project 🙂
Please message me with a MP link or SLURL, or let me know about it here :)

EDIT: @ChinRey : Did you overlook this post?

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
Confused

2 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Are some of the grass white as in frostcovered grass?

Awww, that's a great idea!

But... but... my plant field series already includes more than a hundred different shapes and several hudnred different textures, grass, ferns, flowers, kelp, heather, wheat, oats, shrubs, bamboo, even trees.

Just taking pictures of everythng is a HUGE job and how am I going to present it in a way that makes it easy for people to find what they're looking for???

I'm not sure if I'm up to adding even more texture options right now. But we'll see...

11 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Yeah, that's the issue with a lot of the grass thats mesh. The denser you go the more LI it is and also usually requires multiple mesh grass sections combined to make it look better.

Grass_sml_001.thumb.png.48675916bfb2623e16cd7c18dc1040fe.png

You should sell it. And since I suggested frosty grass... maybe you could sell a white grass/tintable grass?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Just that the Bellisseria covenant does not allow solid snow, but frosty grass will be fine. ;) Since dusty snow is allowed.

Interesting. I'll make it so it looks green at a distance and whiter up close then. Easy enough to do.

There is one thing people need to be aware of then it comes to plant fields though: the ground texture will always show through. No matter how dense you make it, there is no way to completely cover the underlying surface from all possible view angles.

This can actually be a good thing. A well balanced combination of ground and grass texture can add a lot of volume, life and realism. But with too much contrast between the two, you are likely to get a less than ideal result. To make things even more complicated, widnlight and the various graphics settings affect the ground in a different way and far more than rezzed objects like plant fields. Something that looks great with one graphics setting may be absolutely horrendous with another. I'm including as much shading  options as I can with my grass fields but there are limits to what is possible in SL.

6 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Interesting. I'll make it so it looks green at a distance and whiter up close then. Easy enough to do.

There is one thing people need to be aware of then it comes to plant fields though: the ground texture will always show through. No matter how dense you make it, there is no way to completely cover the underlying surface from all possible view angles.

This can actually be a good thing. A well balanced combination of ground and grass texture can add a lot of volume, life and realism. But with too much contrast between the two, you are likely to get a less than ideal result. To make things even more complicated, widnlight and the various graphics settings affect the ground in a different way and far more than rezzed objects like plant fields. Something that looks great with one graphics setting may be absolutely horrendous with another. I'm including as much shading  options as I can with my grass fields but there are limits to what is possible in SL.

Green/white grass will look better on green ground (as most Belli house parcels are) than solid white grass. 😃

17 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You should sell it. And since I suggested frosty grass... maybe you could sell a white grass/tintable grass?

Thanks, certainly will look into selling it and take the suggestions into account. At the moment trying to make it a little better and less LI if we can. Will still probably look flat on top as to get clumps added in at various heights in adds to the triangle count and therefore the LI which is probably why a lot of mesh grass is sparse.

As to frost covered, could be done with texturing but we are looking at adding an additional 2 texture faces to the grass making it 4. This should get the result like the pic below (the below example has the green grass as an alpha blend with the white as alpha mask). Not sure if its what your looking at though for frost covered (think the white could have a little hint of green in it) and the image below is the 2 texture face mesh with a duplicate over the top so 5 LI all together (when linked) for 20x20m.

Grass_testfrost.thumb.png.2b1fc881c0ae83b5f136d2cb4d14549c.png

15 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It is possible though I agree looks better with some ground texture here and there. The grass that I and my friend made was more for a base grass field whereby we added clumps of higher grass here and there to get the desired effect as we couldn't change the ground texture below so used this mesh base grass as a mask. This is also why the texture we use is more spikey (right is more fluffy texture). Pic below has a white prim below it and is barely noticeable and only visible at a direct top view. It is the same as the snow one above at 5LI with the yellow grass alpha blended and green masked. 

Grass_test2.thumb.png.6c2694c33fb1ec041dd88abaf8b2f40b.pngGrass_testfluffy.thumb.png.31604719d6ffa7987fd3fc2c10dd7071.png

Edited by Drayke Newall

On 11/26/2019 at 11:42 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

EDIT: @ChinRey : Did you overlook this post?

No I didn't but the work got a bit delayed. It's all Marianne's fault! She had to mention frosty and snowy grass so of course I had to update the texture set and script to include those options! ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.