Unable to upload rigged mesh

SERAFICHESKIY

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to rig a basic shirt mesh to a dummy rig for a specific mesh body. The body is fitted mesh/bento, I am NOT using Avatar.

I followed the simple tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz8f3VlVbNc

It's not the body I am trying to rig to, and it's a little outdated since it shows an old version of Blender in the video (I'm using 2.8) but all of the functions are basically the same. I managed to follow it and got the mesh to appear to be rigged (ie: the mesh moved when I moved the bones in Blender.) But when I tried to upload it to test, the "Include skin weights" box is un-selectable.

I have not been able to find any other tutorials for Blender 2.8 or fitmesh/bento rigging tutorials that don't use Avastar, so, I really don't know what's gone wrong.

Can someone tell me what I might be missing, or links to more updated tutorials for rigging? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

One possible reason for this to happen is that your mesh has a total amount of influencing bones (vertex groups) exceeding the limit of 110. Ever since bento was released, the total bones in the skeleton that you can rig to has become 150-ish. What you should do is a clean up by removing unused influences. I don't know how this is done in blender, maybe someone more into it can come in and fill this gap

You did something that won't make a difference at the current stage of your project, as the vertex groups for those deleted bones are still in place within the mesh data. If you read my post again, you'll notice that I'm referring to the influences of such bones, aka vertex groups. They're found in the mesh data panel and it's a list with the bone names. Deleting the actual bones from the skeleton doesn't affect their presence in that list if you do it after weighting has taken place. Conversely, even if the bones are still in the skeleton but you remove their influence (vertex group) from the mentioned list, those bones will not have an influence on the mesh deformation even if animated. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.