brie90212

how did u hear about SL?

The very first time I heard about Second Life was around 2008 from a Livejournal friend, she used to post a lot of pictures of what they looked like raves or huge parties, but didn't catch my attention. Many years later, after being on IMVU (and hear about SL there too, but not very positive comments), during a class a teacher mentioned that article about Anshe Chung and explained the basics of Second Life, days later I registered and here I am. 

Edited by Pauck

My son said Mom can you install second life on the computer. I said what the hell is second life? He explained it to me and I said lets see. I made an account and I thought it was stupid and told him no. 06 I think, cant remember...  Few years went by and I was bored by AOL so... here I am.  12 years later. A new account not the old one cause I cant even remember what it was..

Edited by Tarina Sewell
duh

I was looking for a SIMS like VR to explore. I’d seen 3D 360 immersive games and liked the idea of a sims worldwide community environment. That was in 2015... however, the tech was hard for  me to pick up and I really didn’t understand how to do anything! Buy clothes and throw objects to the ground, sandboxes, unpacking.., all of it was confusing. I left for a year, then came back in Oct 2017... started watching YouTube how-tos and I started to get better. Once I bought my mesh body... it was all over! I was hooked. Discovering the forum (especially “how does your avatar look today “) thread gave me a community to connect with and make friends, and the rest is history!

• Like 1

Word of mouth 2009. A friend told me you could make clothes, which I made a few of for Bethesda ES games. At the time I lived in a very remote area  and only had dial-up internet. So I used to hover over oceans just to be able to chat with others. ☺️
I had only been a member of one online forum prior to this and my eldest sister used to tell me stories of text only forums where you could be a werewolf, ghost, witch etc, (text RP) and here it was, except with full 3d characters!

Edited by Maryanne Solo

Been too long to remember exact details but I think I was searching for keywords like build or create 3D online or virtual world and SL showed up in search results. It was around 2005 at the time. I also did try There.com virtual world but not sure if that was before or a little after starting SL.

A little over 13 years ago I read an article about Second Life in our local newspaper and it sounded interesting so I went home, created an avatar and logged on.  I ended up on Orientation Island at first and then I ended up being teleported to Korea9 when I clicked on a billboard.  I stayed there for an entire week because I didn't know how to use my map or search or teleport anywhere else.  I met a dragon (some really young kid in RL) who taught me how to teleport and then a whole new set of options opened up for me.  It was a good thing he did because I was just about ready to leave Second Life for good since I couldn't understand the point if I never did anything or went anywhere.  Anyway, I never did thank the dragon, though, because once I left Korea9 I never went back.

2 hours ago, Linda Reddevil said:

...I stayed there for an entire week because I didn't know how to use my map or search or teleport anywhere else.

When I was in the Mentor program, I met one person on Orientation Island who was over a year old.  I think he was Chinese.  I had a hard time convincing him that there was more to Second Life than Orientation Island.  I finally got my point across, and he teleported out of there.  I hope he's still in SL somewhere.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

I believe I first heard about Second Life in 2007 on a forum related to The Sims. I was a big fan of The Sims and it was not rare to see pictures of SL avatars on some The Sims forums. I must say that at that time Second Life didn't catch my attention. But, in 2013, when the third generation of The Sims came to an end, I finally decided to try Second Life and I've been here ever since.

Edited by DemeraraGirl

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

When I was in the Mentor program...

I remember the Mentors and actually I applied to be one several years later.  I figured I would pay it forward considering the dragon helped me.  I never heard from LL so instead I became a SL model.  Do they still have the Mentor program?

10 minutes ago, Linda Reddevil said:

Do they still have the Mentor program?

Not for many years now.  Someone else will remember the exact date, but I recall it disappearing about 2010.

22 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Not for many years now.  Someone else will remember the exact date, but I recall it disappearing about 2010.

That would explain why I never heard from them. :)

2 minutes ago, Linda Reddevil said:
22 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That would explain why I never heard from them. :)

As a follow-up, a note on the Mentors web site indicates that it was last modified on 8 December 2008, at 17:35. So, even farther back than I recalled.  The site is now marked as 

c52cdc26aece794066e9379edda27a9f.png

I found out about it from a TV show called Gossip Girl. They used to run commercials for SL on the show. They had a couple of SL references in the show too and a Gossip girl sim.

I did think it was a lot like The Sims at first. I lost interest in the Gossip girl sim pretty fast, but I’ve been here ever since.

Its funny how, 2009-2010 smartphones were a thing, but not to the extent they are now. Back then, you’d imagine SL like the beginnings of something like The Matrix. You’d plug in and be this avatar. Very Gibsonian.....

Now, it’s starting to feel...I don’t know. Not Gibsonian.....

I came for a technical conference not long after the beta period. The idea was teleconferencing I on a grand scale. SL ended up becoming a playground, but once it had promise to be something much much more. 

During a dinner break at work, I drove to a local fast food place to grab something to eat. On the news/talk station I was listening to, they mentioned Second Life and how one could be so p*ss poor in RL but have a fortune in L$ online. The hosts were laughing and whooping it up over this concept.

I was intrigued enough to check it out when I got home for the evening. It took about six months of on/off/on in sporadic fashion to finally grasp the idea of what was happening (learning curve can be difficult). Eventually, I located a region I liked (HOME!) and the people were nice and more or less as experienced as me. We traded ideas on how to do stuff and kept a great relationship going for years.

Not in-world as much as I used to be, but drop in a few times a month.

Sometimes I view this forum a region on it's own. There be some strange characters here. Not to name or shame or to name and fame, they know who they are. 🕵️‍♂️

45 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

Sometimes I view this forum a region on it's own.

So... who is the one still putting up the forum-equivalent of full bright objects? 😁

• Like 1

I'm not sure exactly... but maybe.

First thing I recall was a book about it that I saw at the Tower Records that used to be on Market Street in San Francisco...

But I also recall not being surprised at the book. I more or less dismissed it as mildly interesting but not amazing because I already knew about MMOs...

Next event for SL was some time later when Poser 7 or 6 came out... they announced some bonus items if you logged into SL so I did.

Didn't stick around due to things not rezzing right. Thought it was my computer but after coming back in 09 I learned that the day I had come to SL in 06 there was a massive bug that caused all textures to fail to rez.

A news anchor did a wee piece (Jon Snow, Channel 4 in the UK) about this new thing that was taking off, where you could wander around replicas of London and make things, or buy them from people who were good at making them if you wanted. His curiousity and wonder appealed to me, but my wee dying laptop wasn't up to it. When it was finally replaced with an up to date desktop, one of the first things I did was make an account. It wasn't a great experience, taking such a long time to get my avatar sorted, then wandering around empty place after empty place and not understanding that the L$10 things set out here and there were fractions of a pence. Finally gave up to go to bed in a less than stellar mood and forgot about it.

A while later my best friend got caught up in it and I followed him in. It went much better this time, because he was introduced to it by a friend who showed him the basics and he did the same for me. So I can say, based on my personal experience and without reservation, that there is a hell of a lot to be said for word of mouth being the primary means of introducing new people to SL.

The ads I've seen were sidebars on casual browser games years ago when I was bed bound. They really didn't give much of a feel for what SL was about, just hinted at romance, fashion model beauty or something even more vague (not a euphemism for sex, I genuinely don't know what they thought they were suggesting). There were probably youtube cookies from SL building tutorials in my browser, so maybe the ad server picked up on that or something. Anyway, even if they had intrigued me enough to start I wouldn't have known what to do. Much better I think to have a friend who can point you to things you'll be interested in, show you the basics and just share the excitement and curiousity with.

That said, I've never been able to get a friend into it myself. It's such a tricky thing to describe.

Actually, my therapist is the one who suggested Second Life to me almost eleven years ago because she thought it would be therapeutic. I had recently went from teaching university classes full time to being home bound. She thought it would be a useful social outlet and she was very right. I pretty much loved it from the moment I created my first account.

back in december 2007 I was off work ill, and daytime TV sucked just as bad back then as it does today, and as I'd previously tried it early on, I decided to try it again.

Now 12 years this year.