You hear a knock at your door.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You open it to find a man and woman in simple blue uniforms, smiling in an odd way at you. You ask what they need. They say, "We have been observing you. We would like you to join us." They offer you a mysterious video disc, and then they say, "Please watch the video. You will not regret it. Tomorrow we will come back and find out if you wish to join us or not."

What do you do?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

You open it to find a man and woman in simple blue uniforms, smiling in an odd way at you. You ask what they need. They say, "We have been observing you. We would like you to join us." They offer you a mysterious video disc, and then they say, "Please watch the video. You will not regret it. Tomorrow we will come back and find out if you wish to join us or not."

What do you do?

It sounds like a religious thing or even more so like a "cult" rather than a religious thing.  I would not take the video.

We have a lot of "cults" and oddities in the Los Angeles area.   

And, especially if you ask this on a Saturday and tomorrow is Sunday...I'm going to assume it's a religion of some sort.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds like a cult.  All the way.   Besides I don't even open the door for my neighbor's much less weirdos in twinsy suits.  Seriously the lady across the street that I pay my rent to instead of directly to my landlord got all up in my business today over something I'd already talked to my landlord about she just apparently wanted to be involved as well.  Did the whole thing went like she's the popo banging on my door to the point that my dogs all spazzed out.  I'm actually going to be putting a sign up on my door to not knock and not ring the doorbell.  So either leave a note or text me on my phone.  & I don't answer my text, either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What do you do?

Hmm, depends on whether it was before or after receiving one of those spam emails I keep getting about someone recording me via my webcam (which I don't own) and want to ransom bitcoin from me for the recording.

Edited by Drayke Newall

26 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

Tell them their black levels were almost crushed, the chroma was off and the "chicky-boom" style music died in the 70's.

Lose the old VHS cam and get an HD one, with better direction and lighting.

I detect an experienced video editor!

• Thanks 1

I would first add the disc to my mountain of AOL discs to be crushed and/or strung up for garden decor purposes. Since it's on the top, I'll probably get around to using it that day. It's not very likely I'd ever watch the disc.  I only watch strange discs I trust, or at least ones that come with promises of intrigue, mystery, suspense and comedic gold...sci-fi works too. I trust few people that knock on doors in suits, and trust even fewer that wear blue ones with cult like grins while brandishing shiny things. Save that for the second date, please. 

When they come back the next day, I would hand them a piece of paper with my required salary, it will be a ridiculous amount, probably in the billions. I'd tell them I'm open to negotiations too, but that I play hardball....at which point I'd show them my hardball uniform (yes, it's a sport). I may or may not answer the door butt nekkid, though. I also may or may not show them whatever creation I've come up with for the lovely disc....I do so love arts and crafts, but strangers are judgy, I'll play that one by ear. 

• Haha 1

That disc is not going anywhere near my computer, or my TV. Who knows what viruses it contains? If I had more than a day, I'd have time to set up one of the old desktops we have in the spare room but they've all had parts cannibalised from them so that wouldn't be an easy task. And I am not THAT curious about it.

Like others have said, I'd assume it was either cyber-criminals looking for suckers, or it's a religious cult of some kind (we have a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses around here). One thing's for sure, they are not going to be recruiting for an exciting super-secret special-ops thing. Not a disabled bloke pushing fifty. That only happens in fiction.

I most likely wouldn't of heard them knock since I'm deaf. If I had, I wouldn't even open the door for people I don't know, especially ones like these. If I was out of my mind that day and opened the door, the fact they had been observing me would of made my skin crawl. I wouldn't accept the disc and would make sure all my doors/windows were locked after I closed the door in their face.

Edited by LyricalBookworm
  • Like 1

This implies I would ever answer my door for anyone other than the Pizza Hut guy, who knocks in a special way.

And if I for some reason did and some people stood there and said they had been watching me they would immediately be shot.

🍕🇺🇸🍕🇺🇸🍕🇺🇸🍕🇺🇸🍕🇺🇸🍕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might assume also if it's not some religion or cult...it's a sales scheme.  They want you to join and be involved in selling their product.  And, like my Mom used to say "give them an inch...they take a mile".  If you are a kind-hearted person or naive, they don't go away easily.  You have to be abrupt.  Cut it short immediately.  I am not interested in their tape.  I am usually not a cold person but sometimes you have to be.  

As far as the "watching me" part sounds like they'd use it as some kind of sales pitch for me to sell their product...how I might just be perfect at it for example.  

And, they don't just give you the product for free to sell...you have to buy it and then go out and sell it yourself.  Some have levels like Tier 1, Tier 2, Deluxe all of which involve a price...such as Tier 1 is $395, Tier 2 $595 for double amount of product, Deluxe $750 for tripple amount of product.    

Edited by FairreLilette

There is zero context to the OP's question.

So I say YES!!! NAO!!! Because the video guarantees me posh living at no charge and having anything and everything I can dream of for the rest of my life and the rest of the lives of my children, grand children, great grand children and so on into perpetuity.

Edit to add: OMG!!! I read back through the thread and except for one (that is neutral) every other comment is a negative and mine is the one and only (as of this writing) POSITIVE LOL

All you people have issues Bahahaha! [Edit again to add]: (Except @Beth Macbain below me (Yay for positive thinking!)) Hahaha!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Of course I would take the disc and watch it, otherwise I'd be questioning it the rest of my life. turns out the odd looking couple are aliens and the disc is a travel brochure from their planet. I've won an all expenses paid vacation with first class accommodations aboard their spaceship. It's a long trip so the plush suite is nice to have. 

The planet is gorgeous and I have so much fun that sit through the alien resort's entire presentation and buy an alien time-share and decide to go back every year.

The ***** probes are kinda weird, but not at all unpleasant...

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What do you do?

I slam the door close with a curse. If they don't come forward but try to make me guess .... that's what happens.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.