Weights not being imported/exported correctly?

Fanta UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I made a dress that I would like to sell and it seems like the weight is good and I transferred weights from the body to the dress and all and it moves fine...

But why when I import it to SL, the upload viewer weights look like this?

https://gyazo.com/a65e3dd1cb04829db96aa14735e9234e

I don't really understand it, as I've looked through everything and can't seem to find the cause. The weights are at the right spot...

Supposed to look like this:

https://gyazo.com/8f6e2af5cd00f4663eb757c6d4f3c0db

It's fitted for just Belleza Freya right now and can switch to T-pose if needed (I've changed the arms as necessary and all) but the difference between poses doesn't seem to matter when it comes to uploading it. Both poses have the same deformity in the upload viewer.

My Blender is 2.8, no avastar, a little bit of subtracting weightpainting with the sleeves so they aren't attached to the hips and legs as they did with automatic weights and transferring weights... I tried using it with 2.79 and that didn't work.

I also tried transferring weights from a dress/different body that actually worked but even that did not work or the weights didn't transfer!

Edited by Muiregwen

16 hours ago, Muiregwen said:

Supposed to look like this

I can see that the avatar orientation is wrong for SL. Yor model faces the Y axis direction (can't tell whether positive or negative Y, I'm assuming the default negative) and so the uploader shows squashing due to rotations of thos joints, especially the collision volume bones. To try and fix this, your avatar should face positive X axis, then you should apply rotations to both mesh and skeleton. After these two steps, you can export. 

Edit: i forgot to mention that you should bring the skeleton back to Tpose before applying rotations. Also, as a safety measure, apply pose to rest pose

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

Well, fixing the rotation of the axis, and the t-pose (which I apply to rest pose in an easier way thanks to handy dandy plugins) did help some as the sleeves are correct now. Oh, and the rotations and scale. But it still appears to be 'squashed' at the belly, pecs, and butt and/or pelvis bones. 

https://gyazo.com/7599b4486472a3fbe6952f66e9b7b693

I know there is no backface/inside to it especially with this dress needing it particularly at the legs, I figured I'd try to fix this before duplicating, flipping normals, then joining.

Edited by Muiregwen

Those are issues with collision volume bones. If you got your skeleton from the machinimatrix website, the avatar workbench, then it should have some extra data attached to the collision volume bones defining a custom scale. In the collada exporter, you should see if there's any check box to include custom data to override the defaults (in this case, the scale) and also something related to bindpose. I think, but I'm not sure, that a correct export from blender should have bindpose disabled. 

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

Welp. I didn't use the avatar workbench but when I did transfer it on over, that was actually what made it work! Not bento (not like I plan on making gloves however!), but I should use that for all my clothing I plan on selling! So that was apparently the problem. The darn skeleton!

There was no check box to include the custom data but there is one for bind pose however

Aaah. I think I see the problem. The fitmesh bones are what is making it squash. The avatar workbench bones work, but not the fitmesh one I got from Machinimatric. Which... the fitmesh is kinda what I need for the Belleza or any sort of clothes I would plan on making

Are there ways to solve the fitmesh bones doing this sort of thing?

2 hours ago, Muiregwen said:

Are there ways to solve the fitmesh bones doing this sort of thing?

The collision volume bones should have a set of scale values as their extra attributes, and those scale values should match those they got in SL. Blender doesn't support bindposes, so you can't directly set those scale values on the cvb and then bind a mesh to the skeleton, the collada exporter needs those scale attributes for correctly writing the file adding them as extra attributes to circumvent this limitation. In any SL viewer there is a file called avatar lad.xml that contains the skeleton definition of each single joint in the skeleton, including the collision volume bones. You can retrieve that list and the relative scales from there, but I don't know the syntax that blender wants those to be written as extra properties. I would think something like scale.x=scale value, but you can double check that from the avatar workbench

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

Alright, so. I went back to Blender 2.79 with the avastar I have and lo and behold, the dress works! Well. A different dress using the Slink Hourglass body. Fits perfectly too! 

I think shape keys are what helped as I noticed using the avastar attach to bones thing, it added shape keys ad then transferring weights from the body (which went smoothly). 

So I'ma try again with that dress onto the belleza body using avastar.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.