Tip jar, how to collect?

examining

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I rezzed a common tip jar bought from the market in my house and now I thought to collect the tips, but do not find a way.

In the initial package there was no instructions notecard.

There is only a pay menu both when right-click or left-click it.

Tks for any help

the tips go directly to the account of the person who is listed in the note card/script or who rezzed it. If you have not gotten the money, someone is listed other than you on the note card in the script or the script itself and you've been burned.

Since you have no log in or log out option I can assume it is straight forward.  The amount shown in the "tips jar"  should see in your transaction lists in SL webpage accounting section.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, examining said:

Hello,

I rezzed a common tip jar bought from the market in my house and now I thought to collect the tips, but do not find a way.

Tks for any help

What @Tarina Sewell says. When someone pays the tip jar, you should immediately hear the "cha-thing" sound and money goes into your account (unless it's less than L$25, based on some viewer settings). If "rip-off" seems to be the case, IM me in-world and mention tip jar. I'll pass you a genuine tip jar script that is full permissions that you can put into anything and you'll know it's on the up-and-up and will work the way it's supposed to.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, examining said:

Hello,

Tks for any help

If you own it, you are getting the money. There is no collection process. Your L$ balance should rise with each tip. If not, your jar is not working and you need another.

If somebody else owns it, they are getting it. If you are supposed to get the money from a shared tip jar, check with the owner or get another jar.

Just in case the others' answers have left you confused...

Money in SL isn't like money in the real world.  It has no physical existence, and it cannot be contained "in" anything, in the way that a piggy bank can contain coins.  The only thing that can "contain" money is an avatar's $L balance.  Even if you donate money to a group, the group doesn't get it.  Some avatar, or avatars, that the group has designated, receive the funds.

A tip jar is just a prim with a script (a small program) in it.  When someone "pays" the tip jar, the script pays that money to the person, or persons, designated to receive it.  Some tipjars used by clubs split tips, and send part to the dancer and part to the club owner.  Dancers have to log in to their tip jar to receive their cut of any tips.

NOTE:  if you rez a tip jar, or any other object, and it gives you this notice:

debit2.jpg.e1de570cbf677f57bbdf1e5d5c3ea766.jpg

Unless you are expecting it, DO NOT click "Allow".  If you do, the object can take all your $L.  It will continue to have this ability as long as it is rezzed in world.  Some objects have a legitimate need to access your account, but others use this ability to steal your money.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Just in case the others' answers have left you confused...

Money in SL isn't like money in the real world.  It has no physical existence, and it cannot be contained "in" anything, in the way that a piggy bank can contain coins.  The only thing that can "contain" money is an avatar's $L balance.  Even if you donate money to a group, the group doesn't get it.  Some avatar, or avatars, that the group has designated, receive the funds.

A tip jar is just a prim with a script (a small program) in it.  When someone "pays" the tip jar, the script pays that money to the person, or persons, designated to receive it.  Some tipjars used by clubs split tips, and send part to the dancer and part to the club owner.  Dancers have to log in to their tip jar to receive their cut of any tips.

NOTE:  if you rez a tip jar, or any other object, and it gives you this notice:

debit2.jpg.e1de570cbf677f57bbdf1e5d5c3ea766.jpg

Unless you are expecting it, DO NOT click "Allow".  If you do, the object can take all your $L.  It will continue to have this ability as long as it is rezzed in world.  Some objects have a legitimate need to access your account, but others use this ability to steal your money.

This, but sometimes you need to click ALLOW for things like CONTEST boards as the contest board takes money out of the owner's linden balance at the end of the contest after it tallies up all votes.   

To the OP:  Tip your own tip jar 1 linden.  It won't take any lindens from you but it will send out a message that you paid, such as "examining paid examining's tip jar" or whatever the message may be but when you pay your own tip jar nothing comes out of your lindens as long as it's not an alt.  Or, if you have an alt, have your alt tip 1 linden to see if it's working too.  

Although, addressing the OP again, maybe you did the above and that's why you know your tip jar is not working.  

Actually, back to Lindal, on further reading that message above is legitimate but it's for certain things such as CONTEST BOARDS where money does come out of your linden balance...so what that above is saying is it's not going to warn nor remind you that your winning contestant is about to be paid, for instance, if you are not on the sim.

It really should say something like "there is no warning nor reminder when your contestant is going to be paid".  

Or, are there actually known cases where the script took money for no reason? 

Btw, I think that message is terribly written and a horrible mess...it's by far one of the most confusing things I've ever seen in SL.   And, it really cannot take money from you at any time.  For instance, with a CONTEST board, you have start and end.  No one can log into the CONTEST board except the owner and perhaps manager as you have to put notecards in with the manager's name(s).  So, it would be managers taking money from the people or those they allowed in via notecard but it has to be written by the owner of the object...I don't know if a creator can access an object in another person's name or not that they created.  Is this what you mean by "others can steal your money"? ...the ones on the notecard?  Well, if something ended badly, I'm sure their notecard would have been taken out or their name written out of the script.  As far as I know, only those on the notecard and/or script are allowed access to what belongs to the owner of objects where money can be taken out of your linden balance.  

That message also comes up with Gacha scripts.  Why it's there for gacha and tip jars...I just don't get it.  For Gacha, there could be a split but when it splits, the owner of the actual Gacha machine only gets paid their half and nothing is taken out of your linden balance but you still have to accept ALLOW ACCESS or it does not work.  It could be the same for tip jars with a split...if you don't ALLOW ACCESS, it will not work period.  If you don't want a split, you need to take the split thing out and make sure there are no phony managers on the notecard that you never wrote in but may just come with the product.   

Edited by FairreLilette

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Most likely, no one has tipped you yet.

Rezzing a tip jar in your house and then expecting strangers to come into your house and put money in a jar seems rather uncommon.

ROFL.  

That was my first thought too...but perhaps maybe she wants to do the private dance in my house thing...or it's for a party.

Though I think the problem was probably solved with Alyona's offer of a full perm script - Alyona probably has a script that does not have a split in it.    Single payee script tip jars are very easy to work.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I used to find tip jars everywhere, not only in commercial places, and whenever possible I tried to offer, it feels good.
I'm away from sl for a while, perhaps things changed recently.
It's no big deal, some hundreds lindens, I'll change tip jar and check it first with my money to see if it's working.
I thought it would be easy to collect somehow.

I mean, there are some hundreds lindens in, it's not that it does not show any tip at all.

52 minutes ago, examining said:

I used to find tip jars everywhere, not only in commercial places, and whenever possible I tried to offer, it feels good.
It's no big deal, some hundreds lindens, I'll change tip jar and check it first with my money to see if it's working.

I mean, there are some hundreds lindens in, it's not that it does not show any tip at all.

Are meaning how do you collect the lindens, or how to turn them into RL money?

If you mean lindens, they should already be in your account. The tip jar collects for you.

If you mean turning those lindens into money, you have to go to the website and withdraw your linden balance.

Edited by Adam Spark

4 hours ago, examining said:

...It's no big deal, some hundreds lindens, I'll change tip jar and check it first with my money to see if it's working.

Tip jars will often display hover text that show how much money has been donated to them.  So if you see something like "$L 546 donated" that simply means that is the total amount that people have paid to this tip jar.  It does NOT tell you where that money went.  Remember, money paid to a tip jar does not go "into" the jar.  It is immediately paid to someone's account.  Who that "someone" is depends on the tip jar's settings.  Sometimes the jar will also list who last paid it, and what the amount was.

Right click the tip jar and select Edit.  Then, in the Edit window, click on the Content tab.  You should see a script in the Contents folder of the object.  You might also see one or more notecards.  There might be a notecard with instructions on how to set up and use the tip jar.  There might be a notecard called something like "Settings" that you would use to set various parameters for the jar, like whether it should pay the money it is given to you, to someone else, split the money, etc.  But even if there are no notecards, double click the script and see if you can open it.  If you can, read it.  There may be places where you can change how the tip jar behaves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, examining said:

Okay, so there is a linden amount.  But those lindens go into your account not into the tip jar itself.

Are you asking how to offer certain things so that people will tip?

Or what makes people want to tip, perhaps?

Edited by FairreLilette

On 11/22/2019 at 11:09 AM, examining said:

Hello,

Tks for any help

Are you saying you cannot find a way to collect the lindens out of the tip jar?

Okay, there are no lindens in the tip jar and never were.  You cannot "collect" any lindens out of the tip jar nor any tip jar, nor can anyone who has a tip jar.   The amount is just showing you what you have been tipped via a script but no lindens ever went into it.

You need to check the tip jar with an alt to make sure the money is going into your account first.  Pay a small amount of lindens into your tip jar with your alt.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Mystery solved: apparently the tips went already in my account one by one and I did not notice.  There was the amount of total donations floating over the jar but the money was not in the jar.  I paid some amount of my own and saw that it did not change my account (it was deducted and added immediately afterwards) nevertheless over the jar showed in the total addiction.

Much ado about nothing :)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Sounds like it's exactly like money in the real world to me.

Yes, in a sense.  All money is a fiction, a collective agreement that some sort of counter represents value.  But what I meant was, there is no "cash money" in SL...no physical object like a dollar bill or a gold coin.  It's all bookkeeping.

57 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes, in a sense.  All money is a fiction, a collective agreement that some sort of counter represents value.  But what I meant was, there is no "cash money" in SL...no physical object like a dollar bill or a gold coin.  It's all bookkeeping.

I don't know about other countries but in Norway it's very rare for anybody to use cash for anything at all.

Of course my comment had two other meanings too but we'd rather not take the digression too far . Better to stay on topic. It was collecting tip jars, right?

14 hours ago, examining said:

It's about being popular when simply an idiot.  Everybody can see that :)

May I add myself...bats her eyelashes.   

So, I look in the Destination Guide and decide to go to Snow Queen something or other...looks pretty in the photo...so I land and look around...and then there is a Teagle Horse.  I've not yet seen a Teagle horse.  And, oh yay...I can ride the horse.  So, I sit on the horse and it's not moving.  I'm looking through all the menu options trying to get the horse to move.  The horse is still not moving.  I must be missing something in the menu.  

Then, before I crash...it dawns on me I may need to use the forward key to actually move the horse.   So, I'm heading back now to find out.

SL and how to work all this stuff...it happens to all of us.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.