Sign in to follow this  
summernightsdream

I saw Philip Rosedale tonight in SL - is he real?

Hi everyone ... i would like to verify if an avatar named Philip Rosedale (about 6years+ old) is the real Philip Rosedale - his profile said he is the founder of High Fidelity (which would be true if its him). Can anyone give me a hint if he's just a fake avatar or if it could be true? I imed him but he did not answer.

Thanks in advance for responses :)

• Like 1

if the First Name + Last Name was Philip Rosedale then yes it was him.  When he left Linden his SL account name was changed from Philip Linden to Philip Rosedale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also note that it is important it was his REAL name and not his USER NAME.    I have seen plenty of people over the years pretending to be Lindens and the like. If I remember that is against the TOS (not really of a giant concern for me so didn't pay much attention)  but still it happens often. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

if the First Name + Last Name was Philip Rosedale then yes it was him.  When he left Linden his SL account name was changed from Philip Linden to Philip Rosedale

1 hour ago, summernightsdream said:

Philip Rosedale (about 6years+ old)

Except the Philip Linden account would be much older than 6 years so unless they gave him a new account that was not him. Philip's rez day would have been March 14, 2002.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Philip_Linden

Philip left SL in 2010.

Since leaving Second Life in 2010, Rosedale has worked on several experiments in distributed work and computing, including Coffee & Power and Worklist.net. In 2013, he co-founded High Fidelity Inc.

https://www.cnbc.com/philip-rosedale/

It was his second life name, not his display name .. and he was also member of a group a Linden founded ... forgot the name of the group. So probably was really Philip Rosedale. Saw him at Smokestack Lightning, a blue club. His profile said also he is founder of High Fidelity grid.

I just wondering why this account was so young .. not even 7 years old. Hmmm..

• Like 1

Ok, looked at his profile again .. this is one of the two groups which are showing in his profile

Ivory Tower of Prims is the land group for The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives (ITLP), Building Tutorials & Sandbox
• Contact Avi Arrow regarding the Ivory Tower or this group
• For Support & Discussion use group Ivory Tower Library

The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives was created by Ryan Linden

It says also in "about" he is working on High Fidelity (and not the founder).

Calling it a night now - thanks for your answers :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, summernightsdream said:

It was his second life name, not his display name .. and he was also member of a group a Linden founded ... forgot the name of the group. So probably was really Philip Rosedale. Saw him at Smokestack Lightning, a blue club. His profile said also he is founder of High Fidelity grid.

I just wondering why this account was so young .. not even 7 years old. Hmmm..

I checked his inworld profile.  6 years and 7 months is about right.  Is about when he stepped away from Linden completely. He first stepped down as CEO and remained as chairman and still kept his Linden named account

when M Linden resigned as CEO then Philip Rosedale stepped back in  as CEO temporarily. When Rodvik Linden came as CEO then Philip Rosedale did continue as chairman.  At some time later (about 6-7 years ago) he stepped down from the Linden board. At which time he gave up his Linden Last Name

i thought they just changed his last name.  Seems not.  Looks like they had to create a whole new non-Linden account and probably moved his inventory and stuff over to the new  account

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

I checked his inworld profile.  6 years and 7 months is about right.  Is about when he stepped away from Linden completely. He first stepped down as CEO and remained as chairman and still kept his Linden named account

when M Linden resigned as CEO then Philip Rosedale stepped back in  as CEO temporarily. When Rodvik Linden came as CEO then Philip Rosedale did continue as chairman.  At some time later (about 6-7 years ago) he stepped down from the Linden board. At which time he gave up his Linden Last Name

i thought they just changed his last name.  Seems not.  Looks like they had to create a whole new non-Linden account and probably moved his inventory and stuff over to the new  account

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember he was given a new account about 6 years ago and his inventory was moved to the new account. I don't remember now if I saw it mentioned on SLU or somewhere else. At the time it wasn't something important to me so I don't remember it very well. 

When/if you (general you) do run across him inworld, don't expect him to answer because he is still a "celebrity" in SL and likely has dozens of people trying to talk to him all at once. If he isn't busy he will answer though. He has been known to try to talk to everyone he hears from. He has answered offlines I've left him days and even weeks later when he was still a Linden. But if he doesn't get back to you, (general you) try not to be disappointed. Even after all this time he still gets slammed with IMs. I doubt he is just ignoring you.

• Like 4

I've seen him in-world, in London City. I think he misses SL, which has actual users.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On November 21, 2019 at 10:19 PM, Mollymews said:

thought they just changed his last name.  Seems not.  Looks like they had to create a whole new non-Linden account and probably moved his inventory and stuff over to the new  account

If they changed his name, they would get everyone else saying, "why can't you change my name too"

• Like 2

This ties in nicely with Scylla's generations thread. If I saw a guy called Philip Rosedale in world, I wouldn't have a clue who he was.........ancient history for me. 

• Like 1

Pretty cool to come across Philip Rosedale.  A great mind and inventor.  We owe it all to his vision. I can imaging he'd want to step in from time to time and see how his baby is doing. ❤️

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 8:34 PM, Mollymews said:

On 11/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, Mollymews said:

I agree completely.  I went to a talk given in-world (on another account) by the new Philip-account some years ago.  Here's the video.  There is about 5 minutes of dead air at the beginning, and then an avatar begins introducing Philip at about 05:30 by showing the (then-blank) profile of the new Philip-account, shortly after which Philip begins speaking at about 07:30.  He's a very interesting speaker, and several of his talks are on YouTube as real-life recordings.  Compare the voices if you wish.  Its definitely him, imho. 

Edited by Erwin Solo
video link didn't work the first time. Updated
  • Like 2