I saw Philip Rosedale tonight in SL - is he real?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone ... i would like to verify if an avatar named Philip Rosedale (about 6years+ old) is the real Philip Rosedale - his profile said he is the founder of High Fidelity (which would be true if its him). Can anyone give me a hint if he's just a fake avatar or if it could be true? I imed him but he did not answer.

Thanks in advance for responses :)

• Like 1

Also note that it is important it was his REAL name and not his USER NAME.    I have seen plenty of people over the years pretending to be Lindens and the like. If I remember that is against the TOS (not really of a giant concern for me so didn't pay much attention)  but still it happens often. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

if the First Name + Last Name was Philip Rosedale then yes it was him.  When he left Linden his SL account name was changed from Philip Linden to Philip Rosedale

1 hour ago, summernightsdream said:

Philip Rosedale (about 6years+ old)

Except the Philip Linden account would be much older than 6 years so unless they gave him a new account that was not him. Philip's rez day would have been March 14, 2002.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Philip_Linden

Philip left SL in 2010.

Since leaving Second Life in 2010, Rosedale has worked on several experiments in distributed work and computing, including Coffee & Power and Worklist.net. In 2013, he co-founded High Fidelity Inc.

https://www.cnbc.com/philip-rosedale/

It was his second life name, not his display name .. and he was also member of a group a Linden founded ... forgot the name of the group. So probably was really Philip Rosedale. Saw him at Smokestack Lightning, a blue club. His profile said also he is founder of High Fidelity grid.

I just wondering why this account was so young .. not even 7 years old. Hmmm..

• Like 1

Ok, looked at his profile again .. this is one of the two groups which are showing in his profile

Ivory Tower of Prims is the land group for The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives (ITLP), Building Tutorials & Sandbox
• Contact Avi Arrow regarding the Ivory Tower or this group
• For Support & Discussion use group Ivory Tower Library

The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives was created by Ryan Linden

It says also in "about" he is working on High Fidelity (and not the founder).

Calling it a night now - thanks for your answers :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, summernightsdream said:

It was his second life name, not his display name .. and he was also member of a group a Linden founded ... forgot the name of the group. So probably was really Philip Rosedale. Saw him at Smokestack Lightning, a blue club. His profile said also he is founder of High Fidelity grid.

I just wondering why this account was so young .. not even 7 years old. Hmmm..

I checked his inworld profile.  6 years and 7 months is about right.  Is about when he stepped away from Linden completely. He first stepped down as CEO and remained as chairman and still kept his Linden named account

when M Linden resigned as CEO then Philip Rosedale stepped back in  as CEO temporarily. When Rodvik Linden came as CEO then Philip Rosedale did continue as chairman.  At some time later (about 6-7 years ago) he stepped down from the Linden board. At which time he gave up his Linden Last Name

i thought they just changed his last name.  Seems not.  Looks like they had to create a whole new non-Linden account and probably moved his inventory and stuff over to the new  account

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

I checked his inworld profile.  6 years and 7 months is about right.  Is about when he stepped away from Linden completely. He first stepped down as CEO and remained as chairman and still kept his Linden named account

when M Linden resigned as CEO then Philip Rosedale stepped back in  as CEO temporarily. When Rodvik Linden came as CEO then Philip Rosedale did continue as chairman.  At some time later (about 6-7 years ago) he stepped down from the Linden board. At which time he gave up his Linden Last Name

i thought they just changed his last name.  Seems not.  Looks like they had to create a whole new non-Linden account and probably moved his inventory and stuff over to the new  account

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember he was given a new account about 6 years ago and his inventory was moved to the new account. I don't remember now if I saw it mentioned on SLU or somewhere else. At the time it wasn't something important to me so I don't remember it very well. 

When/if you (general you) do run across him inworld, don't expect him to answer because he is still a "celebrity" in SL and likely has dozens of people trying to talk to him all at once. If he isn't busy he will answer though. He has been known to try to talk to everyone he hears from. He has answered offlines I've left him days and even weeks later when he was still a Linden. But if he doesn't get back to you, (general you) try not to be disappointed. Even after all this time he still gets slammed with IMs. I doubt he is just ignoring you.

• Like 4

On November 21, 2019 at 10:19 PM, Mollymews said:

thought they just changed his last name.  Seems not.  Looks like they had to create a whole new non-Linden account and probably moved his inventory and stuff over to the new  account

If they changed his name, they would get everyone else saying, "why can't you change my name too"

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 8:34 PM, Mollymews said:

if the First Name + Last Name was Philip Rosedale then yes it was him.  When he left Linden his SL account name was changed from Philip Linden to Philip Rosedale

On 11/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, Mollymews said:

I agree completely.  I went to a talk given in-world (on another account) by the new Philip-account some years ago.  Here's the video.  There is about 5 minutes of dead air at the beginning, and then an avatar begins introducing Philip at about 05:30 by showing the (then-blank) profile of the new Philip-account, shortly after which Philip begins speaking at about 07:30.  He's a very interesting speaker, and several of his talks are on YouTube as real-life recordings.  Compare the voices if you wish.  Its definitely him, imho. 

Edited by Erwin Solo
video link didn't work the first time. Updated
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Philip Rosedale continues to enter SL on a regular basis. He follows the growth of the world and is aware of all the news that are implemented on the platform. In his twitter account, there are several interesting messages that demonstrate this that I say. The first one is a request for help to some user to recreate the same look of the avatar he had before the last remodeling of his mesh avatar, the second message is a congratulation to Ebbe Linden (current CEO) for the number of users Second Life has now.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

This is why you should set your settings to: Display Name (username).

I know most people just roll with just Display Name, but they are setting themselves up for trouble like, it might make your UI look cluttered, but it gives you more security about who are you really talking to.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:28 AM, Chic Aeon said:

(...)I have seen plenty of people over the years pretending to be Lindens and the like. If I remember that is against the TOS (not really of a giant concern for me so didn't pay much attention)  but still it happens often. 

It is against ToS and a bannable offence, NEVER put anything even close to "Linden" in your display name.

37 minutes ago, Dean Haystack said:

This is why you should set your settings to: Display Name (username).

I know most people just roll with just Display Name, but they are setting themselves up for trouble like, it might make your UI look cluttered, but it gives you more security about who are you really talking to.

It is against ToS and a bannable offence, NEVER put anything even close to "Linden" in your display name.

I didn't say it was RIGHT, just that it was OFTEN DONE in the past. And this wasn't a display name -- but before that time.   They were often "bots" and how they got past the name filters I have no idea, but they did. Likely that got fixed long, long ago.  

• 1 month later...

I once met Will Wright, but that was in The Sims Online during the beta test.  VERY ancient history lol  To walk to his location, the pathing made me jump into a pool first.  So suddenly I was standing in front of him in a bathing suit.  I roleplayed that I didn't like being tricked into stripping for him, and ran for the door.  He laughed at that.  And considering how I am in SL now, I'm laughing at my initial aversion to avatar skin.  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was present with around 30+ other people who had come to see Philip Rosedale (ex Governor Linden), who had randomly appeared inworld at Natoma region on 4th February 2020. He was stood near to his famous hill (Philip's Hill) with the original The Man Statue standing on top of it, which felt kind of special. Philip was wearing his original Linden avatar too.  He seemed to love being the focus of attention from the crowd and was happy to answer questions. He mentioned that although he had left LL, he still had an informal advisory role.

I got a feeling that Philip is quite fond of the Natoma region.  He visits it a few times a year, according to its present-day owner. This might be because Natoma was used as the Linden Lab test region during early 2000's in the Beta test period of "Linden World", the precursor of Second Life.

During the Beta test period, there was an experimental test town built in Natoma region, which also contained a statue. After the tests and Beta period were completed in Natoma, everything in the town - except for the statue - was removed. It was decided that the statue should be preserved as a nod to the Beta test period.

When Second Life opened to the wider public, Natoma became one of the original sixteen regions of SL and had been transformed into Second Life's first official residents arrival region, which contained an infamous "noob corral" welcome area and a freebies shop.

Since then, Natoma's role has changed again and it's now home to the famous Ivory Tower Library of Primatives with it's own sandbox area, although it does still contain some important historic relics of its Beta test and welcome area roles, if you know where to look!

The Man Statue has been continuously rezzed in Natoma for every single day of Second Life's existence, it is the original and not a copy. The statue was slightly repositioned from its original test town location to its present Philip's Hill home when Natoma's role changed, a hill which Philip is said to have terraformed himself, hence its name.

West from Natoma and directly neighbouring the south border of the famous Da Boom sim, is another sim called Rosedale, which is named in Philip Rosedale's honour.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.