Garnet Psaltery

Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!

29 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Uff... I dislike prices like that $39.99. That kind of price is just a means to try to convince our brain that it is nowhere near $40.00 ūü§™

I think we all have learned that 39.99 actually means closer to $43 after tax

46 minutes ago, Lvddawter said:

I think we all have learned that 39.99 actually means closer to $43 after tax

Hmm.. one other way to misguide consumers.
Luckily where I live, all the prices shown to consumers must have the tax included. Showing prices without tax is not allowed.
So where ever you go shopping here there is no need to think "how much I will actually pay with tax".

But I understand that in USA showing prices without tax is the only "good" way because tax varies from state to state.

That's actually ILLEGAL here for most products (gas and cigarettes being excluded from this). The thinking is that the consumer has no way to know how much of what is being paid is for the product and how much is tax.

2 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

Under these circumstances, if you did not want one of these last names, you had to abort the sign-up process and try again another day (week, month, or however the names were changed). 

Those in the know would use SL Namewatch if they wanted a specific last name to find a third party registration portal that would give them the name they wanted. From LL quite a list was available some last names were retired after short time like mine, some were active for years. If you didn't like the list refresh the page and a new list of names would come up

3 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

I have talked to those who joined back in the days when last names were part of the process of creating an account. I am told that only a very limited number of names were available at any one time, and over time these names were changed. For example, one week may offer only Smith, Doe, Brown, Green, and White. The next week might offer only Purple, Orange, Molasses, Lamp, and Cheese.

Under these circumstances, if you did not want one of these last names, you had to abort the sign-up process and try again another day (week, month, or however the names were changed). 

There were a bunch of third party sites with different lists as well.

4 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

I have talked to those who joined back in the days when last names were part of the process of creating an account. I am told that only a very limited number of names were available at any one time, and over time these names were changed. For example, one week may offer only Smith, Doe, Brown, Green, and White. The next week might offer only Purple, Orange, Molasses, Lamp, and Cheese.

Under the new method, you just go ahead and sign up and then when the batch of last names changes, pay your money for a name change at that time.

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Under the new method, you just go ahead and sign up and then when the batch of last names changes, pay your money for a name change at that time.

Sign up and not pay at that time? I may be strange.... but I'd rather pay first, knowing that all I have to do is wait for a last name I like and then pick it.