Land Prices Tanking?

Razzy Riggles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

2. Old 'might as well be abandoned' stuff. Plots that have things rezzed in mid-air that have been there since 1973... or so it feels... Owned by people with 'lifetime' accounts, who the lab doesn't even know if they're actually even still alive...

You mean things like this? :P

image.thumb.png.7c2b95f4356fa8fad094378f3c62aabd.png

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Mainland is like all those coffee-shop philosophers of the 1800s...

It's what's technically known as a "Free Market".

Edited by ChinRey

I would never ever pay anymore than L$1/sqm for mainland and only if that mainland was mostly abandoned. I see tons of mainland being offered at absolutely ridiculous prices and wonder how or why these mainland resellers would want to hold and pay tier on land that just doesn't sell.  There are so many downsides as mentioned to mainland as well I cant see why any responsible person would buy it. If you have a quality and responsive private estate landlord who can resolve issues quickly mainland just doesn't make sense to me. Unless of course you want to build something totally ridiculous that you know your neighbors would instantly complain about. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

I would never ever pay anymore than L$1/sqm for mainland and only if that mainland was mostly abandoned. I see tons of mainland being offered at absolutely ridiculous prices and wonder how or why these mainland resellers would want to hold and pay tier on land that just doesn't sell.  There are so many downsides as mentioned to mainland as well I cant see why any responsible person would buy it. If you have a quality and responsive private estate landlord who can resolve issues quickly mainland just doesn't make sense to me. Unless of course you want to build something totally ridiculous that you know your neighbors would instantly complain about. Just my 2 cents.

Even if that mainland adjoins a popular feature? I've got a 1024 roadside parcel up now for L$2:1 LI and I'll never go less than that. Tier is not an issue because the land is owned by my group. I simply removed all tier contribution to the group and set the land for sale = zero costs to me at all - I still can throw my free 1024 toward an LL home. So zero tier costs and the group continue to own the land for a month or two before it is auto-abandoned. Either way, it's no skin off my nose and your loss (obviously: depending on what you're looking for.)

It's a buyer's market, not a seller's market. 

Those of you trying to sell might think that the prices going down is terrible. I personally think it's wonderful and about damn time. I would encourage anyone who has ever thought about owning their own land to do it now, and to spend a few hours looking for a perfect abandoned spot, and snatch it up for next to nothing directly from LL. 

More people on the mainland is good for the mainland. Lower prices enables more people to buy. 

If I were the GTFO folks, I'd be using that network to advertise that mainland is easily available right now to anyone with a premium account - and that premium accounts are discounted right now. More people, more GTFO hubs. Pssst... @Vega Firelyte...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Those of you trying to sell might think that the prices going down is terrible. I personally think it's wonderful and about damn time. I would encourage anyone who has ever thought about owning their own land to do it now, and to spend a few hours looking for a perfect abandoned spot, and snatch it up for next to nothing directly from LL.

Yes, that makes sense. But don't forget you only pay the purchase price once, the tier over and over again.

16 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, that makes sense. But don't forget you only pay the purchase price once, the tier over and over again.

Unless you don't have a Linden Home and only buy a 1024 plot. 

I'm finding it addicting, though, and keep adding little bits (or big bits) of abandoned land to mine. What I'm paying to LL is going up every month, but now I'm not paying a landlord so I'm pretty much breaking even. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It's a buyer's market, not a seller's market. 

More people on the mainland is good for the mainland. Lower prices enables more people to buy. 

If I were the GTFO folks, I'd be using that network to advertise that mainland is easily available right now to anyone with a premium account - and that premium accounts are discounted right now. More people, more GTFO hubs. Pssst... @Vega Firelyte...

Actually, we do help people with finding and buying land, if they are interested.  Yes, land sale prices are going down and if you know the ins and outs of how to get a good deal, there are deals to be found on the mainland.  We have been opening more and more hubs in the last few weeks, more than ever before because the cost of the land is more in line with people's budgets.  In fact, I just helped do a setup on 2 really nice parcels, one in Jeogeot and another in Satori, which turned out really beautifully.  (Thank you Nomad for the sale AND the amazing work on your creations!)  Bird song Brewery and Emile's Exotic Car Repair, both GTFO hubs.  

Bird Song Brewery.jpg

Emile's Exotic Car Repair - GTFO.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Wishing it so doesn't make it so...

Actually, I have noted more appreciation and actually more traffic on the mainland.  People are moving in near me, that are actually having a care about what they put up and mine is not the only area that I have seen that in.  The land prices appear to be fluctuating a little more than they did in the past, as well.  You have more of a wider range of prices being asked, so there is more options available to the buyers.  I have actually talked to some of the real estate buyers out there, who are willing to listen to reasonable offers for land they have to sell.  People have wised up about the prices and if it is too high, there is always somewhere else or someone else, who is willing to negotiate now.  I want to think that we are seeing a more educated consumer, one that does their research before they buy land and that is affecting the prices also.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 2:00 AM, ChinRey said:

You mean things like this? :P

image.thumb.png.7c2b95f4356fa8fad094378f3c62aabd.png

It's what's technically known as a "Free Market".

Did you look above for a skybox?

I'd really like to see Walled Parcel and Skybox Non-Continent, sims for people who want isolation. Move their skyboxes and walled builds to isolated sims dedicated for that, and free up mainland for ground-level development. There are landlords offering such parcels, but it would help if LL offered a land swap deal to clean out mainland messes like the above.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, animats said:

Did you look above for a skybox?

Oh, you didn't notice the bit of the SLURL I didn't cover?

Linden Village is the area between Waterhead and my own beloved Greater Coniston and apart from a few public facilities (with some amazing early prim builds mainly by by Eric and Michael Linden) it's all reserved for the private SL homes of Linden employees. The Lindens lost interest long ago so most of the parcels have been empty for years and many of the builds there suffer from lack of maintenance. And then there are a few train wrecks like this. These are prims with a vintage though, I think some of them are early tests of brand new concepts like full bright, shininess and flexis.

I'm not going to name the owner of this particular parcel since he still works for LL but one of the other train wreck parcels is owned by an ex-Linden-turned-SL-blogger with a Shakespearian name....

11 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not going to name the owner of this particular parcel since he still works for LL but one of the other train wreck parcels is owned by an ex-Linden-turned-SL-blogger with a Shakespearian name....

Have you considered contacting the current LL employee with a request to remove them?

As for Hamlet, I don't know if he even logs into SL anymore. He should have been banned for his atrocious blogging, anyway. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Have you considered contacting the current LL employee with a request to remove them?

Not formally but it isn't the first time I've made fun of it here and last time anotehr Linden who happens to have a beautiful build herself on the neighbour plot simply joined in the laughter. ;)

18 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

As for Hamlet, I don't know if he even logs into SL anymore.

I didn't mention any names! But since you did, Hamlet actually once posted a long post in his blog complaining about how his parcel had been ruined (blaming some terraforming he claimed LL had done elsewhere in the same sim). That's how I noticed he's the owner. So far he hasn't bothered to clean up though.

Edited by ChinRey

17 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Not formally but it isn't the first time I've made fun of it here and last time anotehr Linden who happens to have a beautiful buid ehrself on the neighbour plot simply joined in the laughter. ;)

I think that it's entirely possible that the Lindens who own that land have simply forgotten about it, or have moved on from LL and no longer have access to it. I wonder what the LDPW might have to say on the matter... @Patch Linden, what, if anything, should be done about these Linden Villages, especially in the case of former Lindens, or builds like this that haven't been touched for years? Is it worth filing a ticket to have the areas cleared? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.