Missing Person

EchoRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, 

This question may have been asked a thousand times before so please forgive the repeat. If a friend goes missing and you suspect illness or worse, will LL do anything to help you contact this person? Yes, it was a good friend and yes, we kept our RLs private so I don't have personal info I can use to locate him or find out if he's ill or something like that. This is NOT a person who would ever ghost me or just drop out of SL and not say a word. I've considered both of those possibilities but that is just not him so I'm ruling that out for now.

Are there any options other than just waiting and hoping he'll turn up again? He's been gone for over a month (which is completely uncharacteristic of him).

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

2 minutes ago, EchoRose said:

Hi all, 

This question may have been asked a thousand times before so please forgive the repeat. If a friend goes missing and you suspect illness or worse, will LL do anything to help you contact this person? Yes, it was a good friend and yes, we kept our RLs private so I don't have personal info I can use to locate him or find out if he's ill or something like that. This is NOT a person who would ever ghost me or just drop out of SL and not say a word. I've considered both of those possibilities but that is just not him so I'm ruling that out for now.

Are there any options other than just waiting and hoping he'll turn up again? He's been gone for over a month (which is completely uncharacteristic of him).

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Yes it's been asked many times and no LL will not help you contact the person.  I hope its something simple and you are back in touch with them soon.

I haven't been around that long, but my list of friends who just vanish is quite long. The first guy I ever hung out with here, and who shared my early stresses vanished after a few months and has been gone over a year. It seems to just be how it is. 

• Thanks 1

@EchoRose, this is one of the tragedies of Second Life.  People dear to us vanish, and we never know what happened to them.  Trying to find out is as useless as trying to find out what happens to our loved ones after death in RL.

Perhaps it's best to treat these losses the same way we treat loss in RL...try to think of your friend as being in a better place, and happy, and hope that you'll meet again someday.

In SL, that sometimes actually happens!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Don't private messages go to email? Or is that when they reach a limit. I don't know much about it as I don't get lots of messages. Maybe that's the only option. 

Only if they have enabled it manually, otherwise it won't go to their e-mail.

TLDR: Many of the current generation RP'ers nowadays don't project their selves onto their RP avatars.  If they disappear, it doesn't mean they are dead.  They sometimes pop up again in two to four years.

In Role Play (RP) communities, there are getting to be fewer and fewer people who maintain an avatar that you can get to know.  Most RP'er run a half dozen or more alts.  The typical pattern is to dust off an RP avatar that hasn't roleplayed in a while.  They choose an avatar that used to play on a SIM that's long-since closed when they start playing in any particular RP SIM.   

They continue to use that avatar for just one RP SIM.  They log on with a different avatar to be human on earth--to go out dancing or clubbing, for example.  They maintain still other avatars distinctly for each RP SIM in which they participate.  If they get tired of the RP on that SIM, they simply never log that avatar in again (other than momentarily to transfer L$ stipend or place inventory).

It's not that uncommon for someone to IM me and say, 'hey, I'm XYZ you knew from PDQ, which they then confirm by sending an IM from XYZ saying the same thing.  

I remember RP'ing with someone who told me, 'I've got plenty of friends on my non-RP avatar, but you can't have friends in RP.'  

I have about 1500 avatars on my friends-list, with about 10% of that logged in at any time.  About 15% of those 1500, I know well enough to consider them to be "real people."  The rest seem to be just RP alts used in the way described above.  

I've got a newish group with about 750 avatars in it, and most have logged in at least once in the past few months.  I'm a moderator on a couple of groups with couple-of-thousand avatars, and about a third have not logged in within the last year.   Some haven't logged in for years (like 3-to-5 years).  

Point being: Many of the current generation RP'ers nowadays don't project their selves onto their RP avatars.  If they disappear, it doesn't mean they are dead.  They sometimes pop up again in 2 to four years on a new SIM in a new role.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.