Catgirl (Neko) Bento Overrides?

Kira Zobel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all!

I'm noticing a severe lack of good character AOs.  (I already own most of Oracul.)

I want to put the idea out there of a good catgirl AO that isn't over the top, but does contain more feline-style features like a "paw lick" and a cat-like crouch.  I've found some others, but they're not bento.  I wish I had mocap software, I'd make them myself, but in the meantime, if anybody knows of something that fits the bill, please let me know!

• Like 1

I hear you when you say that there is a lack of good character AO, but the way the general mainstream production goes in SL makes it troublesome. Everybody expects everything to work in a mix and match fashion, but the introduction of Bento made it way more difficult to achieve seamlessly. Taking your example of a cat paw-lick animation, there are two factors to be taken into account:

1) the head joints positions aren't standardized except for the default avatar, but that doesn't respond to face joints. Every mesh head brand has its own set up and those positions are absolute, meaning the head shape would be destroyed if the animation wasn't made on the same skeleton setup. That's why every head brand has their own animations and there are those stating to be compatible with this or that brand.

2) hands. Again, another variable in which not only the joints positions play a role like in point 1, but there is also the chance that a so specific avatar with paws doesn't use all of them, resulting in a final motion that won't look as intended (5 fingers with 3 joints each that animate and bend to resemble a paw movement, when the actual paw may have fewer joints: will it look correct? A matter of luck if it does, really)

Now combine these two factors together and add on top the shape sliders that will change arms/legs lengths: every avatar will never show the same offsets from the head when performing that paw-lick animation. And this is why AO makers refrain from producing such animations, it's really more about dealing with complaints because "anim doesn't look right" for a plethora of different reasons, depending on the "Lego blocks custom avatar" every individual has put together taking body parts from different brands. 

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

Sort of...

I have had good luck constructing this with the items at 'Body Language'.

They had a couple neko AOs right BEFORE bento... so be careful...

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bon Voyage/128/93/1254

- If instead you spend about 10 hours on all of their newer Bento AO demos and buy the right animations, you can get a very neko like effect.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Sort of...

I have had good luck constructing this with the items at 'Body Language'.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

matter of luck if it does, really

On 11/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

If instead you spend about 10 hours on all of their newer Bento AO demos and buy the right animations

On 11/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

the way the general mainstream production goes in SL makes it troublesome.

@OptimoMaximo Yeah... basically...

Neko was THE FAD in 2009 in SL.

Everyone was a Neko...

Except they all looked more like dogs or horses with those fluffy tails... but...

It seemed like everyone thought they were neko-for-life and had all kinds of attitudes about that meant.

Right now... that crowd seems to be headed towards mermaids... or maybe that's just in the Bellisseria / Linden Home sphere of things... where people have started adopting a new set of 'mer-pronouns' and other things to 'note how they are really a mer trapped in a human body'...
- fads cycle around like this.

Neko is out.

So...

There's not going to be much available that directly says "neko" on the package. You have to put it together...

If you're a Neko right now (/waves at the camera)... you're a Disco Queen and it's 1989 and it has NOT yet had a comeback... so you're super UNcool...

Part of it is breaking down the "character" you want to create and thinking about other contexts in which that characters actions might fit. Take my own situation for example (warning: backstory incoming)

I joined SL as part of the "unofficial" promotion of virtual world presence by IBM to its employees. I was one of those employees and chose to make a little snark at my bosses by choosing to be a borg in a business suit. I looked for "robot" animations and applied them to a human avatar to find the ones that managed to give that "cybernetic vibe" while not looking "too mechanical for a human body" I'll admit right here that it was, at times, frustrating as hell. I must have demo-d thirty or forty animations for each one I found that hit that sweet spot. I have a couple of dozen old complete AOs in my inventory that I've never worn, they were all bought because they were the only way to get my hands on that one animation I had to have....

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.