HadassaMcAuley

Remember bloodlines and their biters? I 😂

Bloodlines still exists. I used to be an avid player but as far as I'm concerned, the creators destroyed the fun when they tried to make it super elaborate.

Having Lycans (werewolves) be part of the game is one thing, but then humans were added as a Bloodlines race, various tools were added monitor your minions, feed them remotely, and things became so elaborate that it was no longer the game I used to like. So I lost interest and stopped playing. I made it to the rank of Baroness before I quit.

I've just checked https://slbloodlines.com/ and apparently, in addition to Vampires, Lycans, and Humans they have added Angels and Demons as races, as well as hybrids between these races and I am currently considered to be a Vaewolf.

I seriously liked it better when the game was just about being a vampire and collect blood and souls to rise through the ranks and having a nice clan.

• Like 2

I'm sure people still play.  Vampire RP is popular, but I haven't received any bite requests for along time.  I remember the drama though.  Bloodlines got a bad name because of all the spamming of bite requests at newbies at infohubs, but there was another system.  I can't remember the name of it now, but the vamps didn't have to ask permission.  they just stood a certain distance from you and drained your virtual life away.  Avatar names were in some database somewhere and people freaked out like they lost their real life souls.  It was an entertaining debate for a while.

• Haha 2

It's still a thing, I'm still active in it. Our family is seeing an expansion phase right now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

It's still a thing, I'm still active in it. Our family is seeing an expansion phase right now.

I tried for a bit in my first couple years in SL, but I am extraordinarily bad at RP.  I just can't let go of reality and be someone else.  Must be my lack of imagination.  Logic with a lack of emotion isn't much fun for others, but I can describe the contents of my backpack until you fall asleep.  

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I tried for a bit in my first couple years in SL, but I am extraordinarily bad at RP.  I just can't let go of reality and be someone else.  Must be my lack of imagination.  Logic with a lack of emotion isn't much fun for others, but I can describe the contents of my backpack until you fall asleep.  

We don't really 'RP' it, as the term might suggest. People have their assigned roles, but no one is asked to be anyone but themselves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

We don't really 'RP' it, as the term might suggest. People have their assigned roles, but no one is asked to be anyone but themselves.

I knew a few vampires from before Bloodlines came out.  They had recruited a friend of mine into their clan. They really hated Bloodlines,  saying it destroyed the role play.

I've been curious about it but I don't know where to start. Most of the reactions about it I tend to get from people I know are negative, so I have just kept to other stuff.

That said, I am in a rental on a parcel right next to an active family and have seen a few other areas with people bustling about so. Definitely still around.

I was in the bloodlines and was a vampire.  The clan I was in would always get together for orgies and at first was fun but after awhile I got bored and left.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I'm sure people still play.  Vampire RP is popular, but I haven't received any bite requests for along time.  I remember the drama though.  Bloodlines got a bad name because of all the spamming of bite requests at newbies at infohubs, but there was another system.  I can't remember the name of it now, but the vamps didn't have to ask permission.  they just stood a certain distance from you and drained your virtual life away.  Avatar names were in some database somewhere and people freaked out like they lost their real life souls.  It was an entertaining debate for a while.

Oh gawd, now that you mention this, I recall it. First, when I was a very tender young noob, I got bit and drained several times. Not knowing how SL worked, I was concerned because I didn't know if I'd walk around with stuff over my head all of the time, or if it would deactivate my avatar or what. (We're talking days old.) Luckily I had a friend who had introduced me to SL, and she explained it to me. I do recall some very dramatic and interesting and hilarious old posts in the old forum regarding this though, especially the ones who acted like they had lost their actual souls. :)

• Haha 1

Freebie Galaxy in Ibiza used to be THE  unofficial Bloodlines recruitment hub. You couldn't move 10 steps without a clan rep offering to buy you a HUD and/or begging for a bite 😷  In fact, I think the ratio of vampires to shoppers was 3:1.

12 minutes ago, DonnaDK said:

Freebie Galaxy in Ibiza used to be THE  unofficial Bloodlines recruitment hub.

Really? Hmmm... used to try to recruit people at Freebie Dungeon.
I was never a very successful recruiter though, maybe that's because I was at the wrong freebie place :-))))

14 hours ago, usedcars said:

I was in the bloodlines and was a vampire.  The clan I was in would always get together for orgies and at first was fun but after awhile I got bored and left.  

I love this comment so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

still have my three garlic necklaces  .I was told when  i started in sl that i hhad to wear these at all times ,,,,, 

Not quite. If you wear the necklace (or just attach it to any point of your avatar, or possibly even HUD), and click it once, it will make it so that no Bloodlines player can send you bite requests. Once it has been activated, you can detach and discard it, and never have to worry about it again - unless if you want to deactivate it, in which case you'll have to find another and wear it again.

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Bloodlines is the roleplay equivalent of robocalls.

Just as any other RP, it's what you make of it. RP isn't a requirement for Bloodlines, and Bloodlines isn't a requirement to RP a vampire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Bloodlines is the roleplay equivalent of robocalls.

I don't know what robocalls are but I look forward to seeing what they look like.  In the meantime I'm rather enjoying playing the game. :) 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:52 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Bloodlines got a bad name because of all the spamming of bite requests at newbies at infohubs,

It wasn't just newbies at infohubs. I was spammed with bite requests at clubs, stores and other locations that weren't RP related. Bloodlines started in May of 2008. I've been in SL since 2004. Avatar age and location didn't matter. What really gave it the bad rep other than the spamming is your avatar name was added to a database without your consent, in addition to the fact that Mars refused to make it opt in rather than opt out and you had to pay for the garlic necklace rather than it being free. Granted, it was made a free item later on but it should have been free and opt in from the beginning.

As for the consent thing, it should be noted that there was RedZone with people being dossed and the database containing RL information, up to and including health records, number of children, ages/names of those children, places of employment and a lot of other personally identifying information without consent.

Here are a few links for anyone who isn't aware of what happened with RedZone and its creator, zFire Xue. It should also be noted that zFire Xue was already a convicted criminal (wire fraud pertaining to EBay) who was on probation from a 2001 conviction prior to his joining SL.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sloffworldforum/redzone-dead-t293.html

http://slnewser.blogspot.com/2011/03/linden-labs-acts-against-redzone.html

http://alphavilleherald.com/2011/02/redzone-hud-forced-to-ask-to-reveal-alt-accounts.html

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/02/25/redzone-privacy-issues-develop-review/

https://virtualnavigator.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/redzone-second-life-ip-address-detection-tool-runs-afoul-of-new-sl-policy-eu-data-privacy-law/

And of course there are all of Inara Pey's blog posts regarding RedZone and the JLU: https://modemworld.me/tag/redzone/

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 4

On 11/19/2019 at 11:53 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

I've just checked https://slbloodlines.com/ and apparently, in addition to Vampires, Lycans, and Humans they have added Angels and Demons as races, as well as hybrids between these races and I am currently considered to be a Vaewolf.

It sounds like they were watching too many shows on teen-cable-TV...

Do you now get extra points if your avatar looks like a 28 year old with super brooding features but somehow still goes to high school?

Wildcliff Belgar and Christiangreen Swansong led the backlash that drove the Bloodlines off SL. 

Great anti-suckhead warriors who'll never be forgotten!

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, NymChimpski said:

Wildcliff Belgar and Christiangreen Swansong led the backlash that drove the Bloodlines off SL. 

Great anti-suckhead warriors who'll never be forgotten!

Bloodlines is still undead and kicking in SL. It hasn't been "driven off SL".

https://slbloodlines.com/

https://secondlife.com/destination/bloodlines

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It wasn't just newbies at infohubs. I was spammed with bite requests at clubs, stores and other locations that weren't RP related. Bloodlines started in May of 2008. I've been in SL since 2004. Avatar age and location didn't matter. What really gave it the bad rep other than the spamming is your avatar name was added to a database without your consent, in addition to the fact that Mars refused to make it opt in rather than opt out and you had to pay for the garlic necklace rather than it being free. Granted, it was made a free item later on but it should have been free and opt in from the beginning.

As for the consent thing, it should be noted that there was RedZone with people being dossed and the database containing RL information, up to and including health records, number of children, ages/names of those children, places of employment and a lot of other personally identifying information without consent.

Oh my gosh I remember Redzone now that you mention it.  That was quite the drama for a while and I am glad it is gone.  I know there are old threads on it here in the forums.  

The other vampire role play system I couldn't remember the name of was called Progeny.  It was different because you didn't opt in with a bite request.  You never even knew you were bitten, but your SL name, possibly IP address, and who knows what were stored in a server somewhere out of SL.  The players thought it was more immersive because, "Would a vampire really ask permission to bite a person?"  The opposition said "You can't bite me, steal my soul, and kill me without my permission."  I have no idea if it is still around.

Progeny is still around, but from rumors I've heard is it's more about in fighting now. There are other games that most have joined like the Eternal conflict, and other stuff like that. I no longer really follow much of Progeny based stuff, but I do have friends that are still apart of it, and that is what they told me. Most have moved onto other games with Angels and Demons now. Eh, myself. I'm a bloodlines carrier, but with Forever amulet I don't play it anymore. As for Progeny I doubt they will ever truly leave. Most just went to find new games to play now.