Services offered

Misty Dakota

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good day, 

Not entirely sure if this is the right section of the forums for this. I am an empath, spirit writer, psychic here to offer my services. I also offer counseling services. 
I have had experience in these fields in RL for several years now.  If you would like to set up an appointment, do not hesitate to send me a note card. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HadassaMcAuley said:

Dont you need a license according to your state and your client's? I would think mental health is a licensed profession. Unless you are roleplaying?

Its a little more complicated. 'Mental health' is not a licensed profession. Just like the broad field of 'physical health' isn't. However within that big field, certain professions are bound to certain qualifications and you can't call yourself certain titles, if you aren't having those qualifications (which those are is depening on the individual country) others however are basically free for all, as they aren't regulated.

None of that has any consequences in SL. I think the only way something like this could affect the "professional" is, if whatever they do would amount to something that could be reasonably be taken to court... My gut feeling tells me, that this would need to be quite a serious thing, that violates more than just pretending to be something you are not. In the case of this 'offer' here, I would say no law is violated. Calling yourself an empath, spirit writer or simply a good listener isn't a protected title.

Usually, when something like this pops up in the forum, someone mentions, that everyone who answers such offers should be aware, that they have no ability to prove the claims the person on the other end is making, regarding their professional background and that nobody who needs professional therapy should try to use SL as a cheap alternative to a RL therapist or doctor (just like you never should ask google if your headache is a brain tumor).

I'm a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in RL, and I just wanted to echo what's been offered here already. 

Anyone, and certainly anyone with any RL counseling experience, would know SL is not an appropriate platform for providing counseling services.  That alone leads me to question the OP's claims of RL experience in this area. 

Like Syo has said, specific professions within the broader mental health field are regulated by law as well as professional ethical standards.  This is now particularly true for any mental health professional looking to provide services online.  Even when a person is licensed to provide counseling in a particular place, it doesn't mean they can offer such services via the Internet.  Louisiana, for example, requires licensed mental health providers to take additional training before they can offer services online.

Even if a person is licensed as a mental health professional and to work via the Internet, it also does not mean a person can counsel anyone, anywhere.  It only means the licensed person can counsel those who live in the place for which the counselor is licensed. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.