WE need some answers about sl and the problems with fly/sail

kungen666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is happening with SL?

Have been months now that its very hard to sail/fly. Me and a lot i know feels that LL dont care about that. Havent seen any posts in scheduled maintanance so whats happening?

Do LL look at map and see how tough it is for landowners now? Heard many that say that they will quit SL becuse its impossible to sail/fly.

As a landowner im very depended on that peaple can do this, but feel that nothing gets better and no info from LL.

I hope LL see how bad it is and get out some info soon, becuse i know that some cant take it much longer, they will close their sims.

In my opinion sim crossings and the like HAD been much better until recently.  They are now nearly all dreadful (from incomplete crossings, ie partial unsits or loss of control to full on vehicle script-breakage), at least in my experience and I wonder if some of the cause is the changes to script scheduling that has been introduced in recent server software updates, together with changes to how empty region simulators start up.  I know the instances are largely anecdotal and are highly subjective, dependant on connection strength and avatar script level but I am hearing more folk mention TP crashes, some saying "It's odd because I NEVER crash".  I wonder what the cause is?

I confess I have given up flying/gliding in SL after numerous trips have ended in out-of-control careering across a couple of sims and either a log-out/crash or a messy uncontrolled landing/crash. Or on one notable occasion being unceremoniously dropped out of my glider only to watch it sail serenely out of the region and vanish.  It never did return to my Lost n Found folder!

However I have found that teleports, as well as more conventional region crossings have become less reliable of late, independent of avatar script count.  I have tested on myself at script counts from less than 70 up to over 150 and there is no appreciable difference.  Some days I have no crashes, some days (such as today) I crash two or three times in maybe a dozen or so TPs.

Expecting a reasoned response from LL is a waste of time since there are SO many factors that can be at least partially responsible.  Despite that, I suspect a fair amount of Linden hair is being pulled out over this.

One has only to look at current concurrency numbers and compare them to a year ago and two years ago to see that SL is slowly declining in population.  I don't see anything that LL is doing that will halt this.

Edited by Aishagain
additional text
  • Like 1

The ability to sail and fly satisfactorily is what makes us pay more for rents on contiguous sims regions. If we can't, why pay more? I also feel frustrated when I see that the exception has become the rule. Most of the time it is almost certain that, when sailing or flying, we will have problems crossing from one sim to the other, or even when we are inside the sim. For some time now, flying and sailing in SL is no longer as pleasant as it should be. Unfortunately.

Please go to Server User Group on Tuesday at noon SLT and make your unhappiness known. I and others have been complaining about region crossings for a year now. More people complaining may up the priority. SL has gotten some new technical people in from the Sansar side, and  this is a good time to push on getting this fixed. Really, it's embarrassing how long region crossings have been broken.

Edited by animats

Regardless if this is a new problem,SL is being victim of the obsession for BEAUTY.Places are more fancy and most of us wanna be entirely Bento...Mesh...It means more attachments and scripts.Many years ago I already noticed who was flying or sailing well at BlackSea was wearing simple system avatars, almost no meshes attached.My own experience,using a system AVI with system cloth layers : it was "almost"OK to cross Sims(you know the normal lag behavior).When I started to use FULL BENTO body,I noticed our"parts"have to re-attach each crossing...and I had many crashes,so I gave up to go to BlackSea with BENTO AVI.... SL in fact is not the most appropriate game to drive vehicles crossing Sims. Actually SL can do everything,but it doesn't do everything well.The old geek question is more than ever relevant : Performance or Quality ? Do you want to be the most beautiful or to drive in the fast lane?

Edited by Annahperv

1 hour ago, Annahperv said:

Regardless if this is a new problem,SL is being victim of the obsession for BEAUTY.Places are more fancy and most of us wanna be entirely Bento...Mesh...It means more attachments and scripts.Many years ago I already noticed who was flying or sailing well at BlackSea was wearing simple system avatars, almost no meshes attached.My own experience,using a system AVI with system cloth layers : it was "almost"OK to cross Sims(you know the normal lag behavior).When I started to use FULL BENTO body,I noticed our"parts"have to re-attach each crossing...and I had many crashes,so I gave up to go to BlackSea with BENTO AVI.... SL in fact is not the most appropriate game to drive vehicles crossing Sims. Actually SL can do everything,but it doens't do everything well.The old geek question is more than ever relevant : Performance or Quality ? Do you want to be the most beautiful or to drive in the fast lane?

Yes, at a region crossing, vehicle, avatars, and attachments all cross separately and are reassembled. The problem is that reassembly is unreliable, not that it's slow.

@Aishagain Back in 2011 (and 2012) when I joined SL, it was normal having over 60K in-world. And yes, SL is declining due several factors, and the Lindens mess-ups are only one cause for it but surely and important one.

@animats Having region crossings fixed isn't a matter of priority on the Lindens side, it is a matter of knowing how to do it with the existing structure. I'm sure the Lindens work hard but I'd rather have them working EFFICIENTLY and take the right choices concerning "shinies", providers, SL's economy, etc.

[EDIT] I gave up sailing/flying too, and these days I spend most of my time in SL at my own parcels.

Edited by MBeatrix

On 11/19/2019 at 6:16 AM, animats said:

Please go to Server User Group on Tuesday at noon SLT and make your unhappiness known. I and others have been complaining about region crossings for a year now. More people complaining may up the priority. SL has gotten some new technical people in from the Sansar side, and  this is a good time to push on getting this fixed. Really, it's embarrassing how long region crossings have been broken.

Unfortunatly i couldnt go there that time but thanks for the tip.

I totally agree with you that its embarrassing from LL:s side that they dont have fixed this issue, and its even more embarrassing that they dont talk about it, we simowners at mainland are depended on the ability for peaple to sail/fly.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.