The End Of SL Share - Postcards Too?

Cristiano Midnight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At a recent TPVD meeting, LL announced that they are removing the ability to share SL snapshots to Facebook, Flickr and Twitter:

From Inara Pey's summary here:
https://modemworld.me/2019/11/16/2019-tpvd-meeting-week-46-summary/

SL Share, the capability for sharing SL snapshots to Facebook, Flickr and Twitter via LL server-side support, is to be discontinued. The Facebook upload capability was removed some time ago after Facebook made changes to their API that broke the ability for the viewer to share to their platform, and did not implement any fix. More recently, the Flickr and Twitter uploads have suffered issues (the Flickr upload is currently broken in viewers using the Lab’s upload back-end). The reason for discontinuing SL Share is due to Flickr and Twitter making frequent changes to their connecting APIs without any notice that require LL to update their back-end support, which is regarded as a “big distraction” from other server-side work.

Does anyone know if this also means the end of the ability to send postcards via email, which LL has supported since the beginning? I  have an SL image site, Snapzilla, that relies on that functionality in part to receive images from SL for the past 14 years. I understand why they are removing the other integrations, I just hope that the postcard via email one will remain.

55 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

At a recent TPVD meeting, LL announced that they are removing the ability to share SL snapshots to Facebook, Flickr and Twitter:

https://modemworld.me/2019/11/16/2019-tpvd-meeting-week-46-summary/

I doubt it. Facebook, Twitter and Flickr are being removed because LL can't keep up with the constant API changes they are doing for a feature that is probably rarely used and was kinda unnecessary to begin with (you should be uploading them manually anyway). Postcards don't rely on API changes and they are generally just glorified mails.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Also from Inara's blog: "TPVs are free to continue to offer their own viewer-side means of uploading to the likes of Flickr that do not require LL’s back-end support, if they so wish. Firestorm has already done this."

So just don't use the LL viewer, but Firestorm (or another that still allows uploading to social media)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Also from Inara's blog: "TPVs are free to continue to offer their own viewer-side means of uploading to the likes of Flickr that do not require LL’s back-end support, if they so wish. Firestorm has already done this."

So just don't use the LL viewer, but Firestorm (or another that still allows uploading to social media)

That really isn't a solution and neither the answer he was looking for.

3 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Why would there be any crying, Facebook's time is over, even my mom doesn't use it anymore... was about time.

Some users have been known to get upset when you take their toys away (or otherwise change the behavior of features/options). It's true. You heard it here first. 

Also, way to go mom. 

1 hour ago, Willow Wilder said:

Some users have been known to get upset when you take their toys away (or otherwise change the behavior of features/options). It's true. You heard it here first. 

Also, way to go mom. 

But Facebook is no toy... its cancer, don't let your kids play with it

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.