How Are Some Users Seemingly ALWAYS logged on?

GabilondoYCia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have one or two SL acquaintances who are seemingly ALWAYS logged in - Sometimes days in a row. How are these users doing this? I asked one of the users in question directly, and was given a vague answer about leasing the server the sim is on or something. I myself have NO interest in being perpetually logged in (my close friends can get ahold of me thru email, discord, etc), I am just utterly puzzled by how some users never get logged out, or why the would not want to log at some point.  Thanks,

I have never experianced, that the viewer would logg you out on itself after a while of being idle. I don't stay logged in for days (as that seems wasteful and unnecessary), but I sometimes forgot that I was still logged in for a few hours, while doing other stuff. I have turned off to show as afk, maybe it has something to do with that?

36 minutes ago, GabilondoYCia said:

I have one or two SL acquaintances who are seemingly ALWAYS logged in - Sometimes days in a row. How are these users doing this? I asked one of the users in question directly, and was given a vague answer about leasing the server the sim is on or something. I myself have NO interest in being perpetually logged in (my close friends can get ahold of me thru email, discord, etc), I am just utterly puzzled by how some users never get logged out, or why the would not want to log at some point.  Thanks,

Funny you should ask that,  I just got an email today about this  https://docs.speedlight.io/  I haven't investigated further to see if its on the 3rd party viewers list or anything.

1 hour ago, GabilondoYCia said:

My former landlady leaves her avatar logged in almost permanently, even when she sleeps or goes to work. She logs off briefly for re-booting her computer, and if she happens to be AFK when the region gets its weekly re-start, she gets booted, but most of the time her avatar is there even if she isn't. Even though she's no longer my landlady, she still lives in the same region as me, and her avatar is still there all day and night, so it wasn't a business decision based on being a land-baron. I don't know why she does it though.

On rolling-restart days I actually use her to check whether the region's been restarted yet or not; if she's not online, it has. 

• Haha 2

Some people,  for example, living in a very remote area, maybe disabled and housebound, might just experience Second Life becoming their "First Life" in a way. It is possible that a conscious decision to "log back into RL" doesn't hold much appeal for them.

For my own part, I'm just grateful that RL occasionally leaves me alone long enough to get any time in SL!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Some people,  for example, living in a very remote area, maybe disabled and housebound, might just experience Second Life becoming their "First Life" in a way. It is possible that a conscious decision to "log back into RL" doesn't hold much appeal for them.

For my own part, I'm just grateful that RL occasionally leaves me alone long enough to get any time in SL!

Thanks for giving me a more comprehensive perspective on this, Odaks. I am in the same boat as you (RL is in my face too much for extended SL time). I had not even considered SL is probably first life for many people. 

• Thanks 1

I used to keep an avi logged on always for traffic purposes. I wasn't trying to trick the traffic system, I simply wanted places I've had to at least show up on the first page of searches, or nobody ever comes and it feels pointless. There was a time in the past when I had an unhealthy desire to see if a certain person logged on, in chat history. But we won't talk about that. I'm pretty sure it's not that uncommon, though.

1 hour ago, GabilondoYCia said:

Thanks everyone for commenting! The only reason I can think of someone actually wanting their av to be logged 24/7 is to prevent someone else from deducing any patterning of times they are actually present in-world. 

I can think of quite a few reasons that are not quite so nefarious.

If you enable the option to never be set to AFK, then you won't automatically get logged out just because you are away. 

The IMs-to-email is not always consistent and thus there are business owners that stay logged in pretty much all the time so that they never miss a message. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Sometimes folks forget to log out, like I did last night.  I'd been inworld, opened up my browser to read the forums, finished what I was doing, and then went to bed.

When I woke up, I realized I was still logged in.  Whoops :)

I just did that, too! :)  When I finally realized I had been logged in I found that a stranger had struck up a very pleasant conversation with me, or tried to, since I was unresponsive.

The last time I did that I was trying out a friend's photography set up, pose stand projector thing, and I went away for about 12 hours without realizing I was still online and "using" the gadget. Oops.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

On the island my club used to be on, there's another club on the same island who's owner rarely logs out. She said due to the large inventory it takes 23 years for her viewer to load! :D

So, she cannot log out because she is still logging in?  I like that reason.  I used to have a similar problem.  I could never log out because I was on a dial-up connection and gesturebaters would clog up the works with sound asset downloads causing my agent connection to timeout.  Restarting the viewer would clear any sounds that made it to cache and blocking the gesture-happy would not stop the sounds from being fetched by the viewer.

Edited by Ardy Lay

I used to stay logged in overnight for 7 seas fishing (I think that’s the one where you fish for clothes?).  I fixed my settings  to never log me off.  So there were times I’d be in 24 hours.  When I first started, there were times the addiction kept me on until 4amish, and would jump back on when I woke up.  

There was also an Android client called Lumiya which allowed you to log into SL on your phone and you could keep yourself logged in and use group chat like any other chat app, or even turn on 3d view. The app is dead and no longer on the google play store, however those who still have it can still use it to keep themselves online to chat with friends and interact with group chats and such.

I personally leave my avatar online most of the time and park him in bed when I head to bed or at a desk when I'm working on stuff in another window. The idea kind of came from a cyberpunk book I read in the early 90's called "In the net of Dreams" by William Mark Simmons about an online virtual reality with the same (or maybe original) story idea of players getting trapped inside of a game and dying when they die in the game which is pretty much the plot of Sword Art Online. Anyway the premise was that when you were not actively logged in to play the game, your avatar would be operated by AI which learned your daily routines and would continue to move your avatar through them while you were not playing, creating a persistant world that always had life or at least the appearance of life. So while SL isn't as sophisticated, I still like to leave my avatar parked doing some type of activity, even if it's lying on a beach or sitting on a boat fishing. It's just something fun. Plus I can read all of the group messages I might of missed if I had been offline.

I stay logged in 24/7. I do have valid reasons to do so as well:

1. Most importantly, it allows me to log group chats, so I can see for myself if something TRUELY did happen.
  2. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I like to take a peek at my screen to make sure everything is all and well in a sim I moderate.
  3. No offline messages get lost. Not that I ever get any.

Even then, I don't see a reason to log off. Especially since SL isn't the only thing I keep running on my computer. I do run a small local web server, as well as a IRC client and Discord, and I have scripts that need to be ran. While I can move these off to my server I have downstairs, I still prefer to keep them on my main desktop. Additionally, I use Second Life mostly because I am unable to explore the world outside my house, so I don't see the need to log off often because I can just sit down and resume whatever I was doing instead of waiting for it to start up and log in.

As for how I stay connected: My internet tends to be very stable, I do have issues on occasion, especially a few years ago, but now it seems to rarely drop. Region restarts do sometimes kick me off, or if the region crashes, but I log back in when I notice I am not logged in.

My computer has enough power to run both Second Life and Team Fortress 2 at the same time, Guild Wars 2 can be ran at the same time as Second Life, but it tends to be laggy, but I think thats due to it being ran under a compatibility layer.

Plus I use my computer as my TV source when I am in bed sometimes.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

On 11/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, GabilondoYCia said:

in your preferences you can untick never log me off.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:20 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

My former landlady leaves her avatar logged in almost permanently, even when she sleeps or goes to work. She logs off briefly for re-booting her computer, and if she happens to be AFK when the region gets its weekly re-start, she gets booted, but most of the time her avatar is there even if she isn't. Even though she's no longer my landlady, she still lives in the same region as me, and her avatar is still there all day and night, so it wasn't a business decision based on being a land-baron. I don't know why she does it though.

On rolling-restart days I actually use her to check whether the region's been restarted yet or not; if she's not online, it has. 

There is a simple reason why I personally don't log out my avatar: I can select "log-out" and it simply doesn't work. SL really, really, doesn't like to let you go. It just stalls often. You have to force log out by Xing it out and creating an error in Windows. It's truly annoying.

Then there's this: logging *in* can be so difficult! Especially if you have large inventories. Sometimes you can't get logged in. You try and try. Yes, it's better after Lindens sort your large inventory for you. But it's still hard.

So I tend to just leave my avatar on because...who cares? why does it matter? If someone IMs me and doesn't get a reply, they'll figure it out. 

No, I don't put an "Away" message on because...I sometimes find that then I don't actually get messages even though I am supposed to.

In fact, a trick I use to force messages in that seem missing when I am forced to re-log is to click on something and "block it" -- then unblock it. Who knows why that works, but it does. Messages come flooding in, along with objects and notecards. I don't understand the relationship.

So surely if my computer restarts and updates in the middle of the night, I should be logged off? It seems so. But not if it's in "sleep" mode.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

5 hours ago, Phoebe Avro said:

You have to be an idiot to leave your pc/laptop on 24/7 my gaming pc uses about 100 watts when not in sl or gaming. those people are  chucking money down the drain.

My computer stays on 24/7, though it does go into sleep mode part of the time.  Based on the rates charged by my energy company, 100 watts per hour for 24 hours would cost me $0.264 per day.  If I ran a business in SL, I could see various reasons that would justify that cost.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.