New GPU

Rux Foxclaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a Radeon HD 6470M. Both Viewer 2 and Phoenix Viewer can only detect the integrated Intel gpu and that is unsatisfactory! How long does it usually take for new graphics cards to be tested and approved for use with these viewers?

It matters a heck of a deal because the viewers aren't detecting my hardware. I'm not super techy.. I don't really know what I'm doing. Is there a way for me to preference the AMD over the Intel somewhere? I'm just not figuring this out on my own...

The issue is that the viewers are trying to use the wrong graphics card entirely and I cannot run any graphic settings at all without it looking choppy and awful. I have a perfectly good graphics card but it's new I guess and hasn't been added to some magical list of approved cards?

Rux Foxclaw wrote:

The issue is that the viewers are trying to use the wrong graphics card entirely and I cannot run any graphic settings at all without it looking choppy and awful. I have a perfectly good graphics card but it's new I guess and hasn't been added to some magical list of approved cards?

I would look to the OS and making sure the drivers were taken care of and latest version, and then making sure that OS based DirectX and OpenGL configurations were sound to diagnose what's happening with the choppiness. I have a GTX460 that is direct from NVidia (not a remanufacturer or 3rd party reference card) that is shunned by SL setup as not recognized and is even mentioned by Ascent 1.x as being insufficient to run SL in any capacity. Yet I can max out every single graphics setting on the card when running Ascent without a hint of slowdown.

So grain of salt with the hardware support thing. If your card isn't absolute gaming-adverse guano, and it came out in the last 4 years, it can run SL on some level, even if it's not listed as supported. If it has OpenGL and Direct X capability, it should be fine with proper drivers. :womanhappy:

This sounds like you're using ATI's equivalent of Nvidia's optimus software. It's supposed to dynamically switch between the integrated and discreet GPU as demand rises and falls. But the switching doesn't always work so well as you've found out. Check in the graphics control panel for a way to over ride it and always use the discreet GPU.

I don't think this is Second Life's doing.  Sounds more like your computer has decided not to use your dedicated GPU for the application.  Check the Ati settings and see if there is any way to specify what card to use for what application.  Second Life not recognising your GPU just affects the graphics settings in the viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.