Lureo

Is Frants a role play place?

I don't do really role play because  there are so many rules and I don't understand them and I like to break them on purpose. But my question is why do we not consider Franz elite as a role play place. People are really playing a role. Women do their role to search the perfect charming prince and reject normal people. Men do the role as asking for dance etc... And this place does not exist in real life. It is only in movie. In normal life we never dress in all black and long dress like in 17e century.

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, Lureo said:

I don't do really role play because  there are so many rules and I don't understand them and I like to break them on purpose. But my question is why do we not consider Franz elite as a role play place. People are really playing a role. Women do their role to search the perfect charming prince and reject normal people. Men do the role as asking for dance etc... And this place does not exist in real life. It is only in movie. In normal life we never dress in all black and long dress like in 17e century.

I guess you are talking about Frank's Elite not Frants or Franz since you have complained about it in previous threads.  Maybe it is consiidered a roleplay place to some.  You get to roleplay dressing up and going for a dance.  Did you ask someone for a dance and get turned down?  Is that why you keep complaining about it there?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I guess you are talking about Frank's Elite not Frants or Franz since you have complained about it in previous threads.  Maybe it is consiidered a roleplay place to some.  You get to roleplay dressing up and going for a dance.  Did you ask someone for a dance and get turned down?  Is that why you keep complaining about it there?

not sure we read it the same way :)  could it be OP means French Elite .. 17/18th century french Court of the Bourbons?
(not that i can help pointing at places!...grins)

Having a dress code and a code of conduct does not make it roleplay, per se. Perhaps if the dress code is 'Tudor' and the code of conduct mentions 'no OOC in local', but not for black tie and 'don't be rude'.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lureo said:

The type of clothing you see at Frank's is not from the 17th century. Nobody in the 17th century was dressed like that. Instead you do find this type of clothing in RL. Its a type of formal clothing. Of course, you see it more often in movies, but thats not because its fantasy clothing, but because you probably aren't frequently visiting the type of formal events, where this is required. 

And the people at Franks aren't roleplaying either. They are themselves and not playing a made-up character. There are certain expectations of whats considered polite (like, men asking for a dance), but thats not roleplay. If it was, then I would be roleplaying, whenever I'm polite and friendly on the telephone after a customer keeps talking nonesense for +10 minutes. And women who give you the cold shoulder are certainly not doing that, because they are forced by a role to do that. 

• Like 7

If you mean Frank's, then no, it's not roleplay. It's primarily a place for couples to go and be romantic with each other. Of course, some couples might be roleplaying their romance (in the sense that they are not really in love with each other), but the venue itself is not a roleplaying venue. The clothing is formalwear, not costume, and it's certainly not based on the 17th century. It's nearly all modern.

I think you are a little confused about what roleplay actually means, particularly in SL. Roleplay means taking on the role of a character that is not yourself, AND acting out a fictional storyline.  Simply "dressing up" is not roleplay. I might dress up in Victorian costume but that doesn't automatically mean I am roleplaying. I'm still me, just dressed differently. Just like if I went to a fancy dress party in RL dressed as Sherlock Holmes - I'm not at that party pretending I am Sherlock Holmes (though I might quote him), and I'm not enacting a storyline about solving a mystery. I'm just me, at a party, dressed like someone else. Frank's is more like that; it's fancy dress. Very fancy.

4 hours ago, Lureo said:

And this place does not exist in real life

No place in SL exists in real life. They are all made up from the imagination of the person who built them. However, Frank's is based on the formal ballrooms that became popular in real life in the early 20th century and onwards. Places like the London Savoy, or New York's Carnegie Hall. Think Jazz era, Frank Sinatra etc (that's why Frank's Place is called Frank's Place and not, say, Joe's Place). My own club is similar, but on a much smaller scale; I wanted to make it look like the sort of place you'd see in a black-and-white movie from the 1940s. But just because a place does not have an exact RL equivalent, still does not make it roleplaying. 

Not that it matters any more, given that Frank's will be permanently closed by the weekend.

• Like 3

On 11/18/2019 at 5:36 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I read "Frants" as a phonetic spelling of "France".

Yes Frank's come from France that means free.

I am still confused. Some people say yes some other no. No the way we need to wear cloth is very unrealistic. In real life we never have cloth like that only in movie but never in real life. Personaly I never see people wearing cloth like that. But sl is not real life. Alway I notice that some people say ... Like in real life  bla bla bla. No SL is not real life. No the communication is not like real it is like SL.  If you start telling it is like real life it is really confusing.

I am not complaining at all. I read some people telling that. Just trying to understand.

8 minutes ago, Lureo said:

I am still confused. Some people say yes some other no. No the way we need to wear cloth is very unrealistic. In real life we never have cloth like that only in movie but never in real life. Personaly I never see people wearing cloth like that. But sl is not real life. Alway I notice that some people say ... Like in real life  bla bla bla. No SL is not real life. No the communication is not like real it is like SL.  If you start telling it is like real life it is really confusing.

I am not complaining at all. I read some people telling that. Just trying to understand.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=couples+charity+ball&t=ffsb&iax=images&ia=images

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lureo said:

No the way we need to wear cloth is very unrealistic. In real life we never have cloth like that only in movie but never in real life. Personaly I never see people wearing cloth like that. But sl is not real life.

There is no shortage of venues or events in the real world, which have a dress code - depending on where you live, I suppose. Black tie events have been around for around 150 years, as the attire became the formal norm for gentlemen in the mid-1800's in England (and England being the Empire upon which the sun never set, at the time, the London fashion spread rapidly across the globe).

Weddings, charity events, prize galas (the Oscars, for example), academic gatherings, attending the opera or ballet, formal dinners, etc. frequently have black tie as a requirement. Whilst it was (and to some extent still is) regarded as the 'uniform of the upper classes', the middle classes' desire to emulate them throughout history has led to it being widespread pretty much regardless what your social status is - many business have a requirement that their employees wear suits and ties (although generally less formal than that worn to black tie events).

• Like 1

At least in this thread nobody said yes. What do people in your country wear to very formal, non-business events? I'm lead to assume you aren't from North America or Europe?

5 hours ago, Lureo said:

I have attended quite a few functions in RL that require formal gowns for the ladies and tuxes for the men.  We even have a venue that holds weekly ballroom dances and they do require the formal ballroom attire.

I guess it's matter of where you live and what you've been exposed to.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 2:52 PM, Orwar said:

Having a dress code and a code of conduct does not make it roleplay, per se. Perhaps if the dress code is 'Tudor' and the code of conduct mentions 'no OOC in local', but not for black tie and 'don't be rude'.

It really depends on what people mean by "roleplay." There's many kinds of roleplay, some of it more implicit than others.

In the loosest sense of the word, just asking someone to dance ("Care to dance?") implies acting out an imaginary scenario, which could be considered roleplaying. You're not really dancing. You're sitting in front of a computer, living a fantasy.

Regarding the same scenario in IRL, having to dress up a certain way is also a form of roleplay. Each person has an expected role, which is why certain people dress up a certain way. (Or get funny looks if they don't play their role, and potentially ruin the "atmosphere" or experience of others.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

@Lureo,

If nobody in real life wore clothes like that (formal dress), then tuxedo rental places would all go out of business.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:02 PM, Lureo said:

In normal life we never dress in all black and long dress like in 17e century.

erm. not to be an ahole but most of my outfits are composed of corsets and bohemian jewelry and i own 6 swords. lol just saying some DO dress like in the 17th century or even earlier than that. ^^

On 11/20/2019 at 5:32 AM, Lureo said:

In real life we never have cloth like that only in movie but never in real life.

Perhaps your real life has not had an occasion to dress formally.  Anyting from high school prom to Winter balls, debutante balls, charity events & even New year's Eve celebrations all feature formal and chic attire.  I myself only dressed up fancy twice ever- my high school prom and my first wedding.  

I attended many functions for my son as he grew up in a youth group where different chapters across the state would have functions monthly- sometimes two or three events in one day, and the boys typically got away with wearing a sport tie and jacket but the winter holiday celebration required black tie & tux.  The girls all enjoyed getting to dress up and many would even trade their dresses between each other because it cost so much to buy new formals frequently- because they had to dress formally for certain obligations.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

While people role play in SL, not everyone does.  I’d even wager most aren’t.  While we wear things most we wouldn’t or couldn’t in RL.  The interactions between people are real.  I am me, in and out of SL.  I may not look the same, but I’m not playing a character.  Not everyone sees it the same as you.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:02 AM, Lureo said:

17th century men's dress included ruffs, capes, knee length breeches & hose. Please tell me these have come back into fashion at Frank's.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

17th century men's dress included ruffs, capes, knee length breeches & hose. Please tell me these have come back into fashion at Frank's.

il_794xN.909395239_6qy7.jpg

Why are there no creators making this these days?!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 6:02 AM, Lureo said:

cj76.jpg.dd1eaab8fdeb1a871cfe3159bea86a39.jpg

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2