Best Laptop to use SL properly?

moongal721

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Odaks said:

In particular, do have a look at this, which refers to the total shambles that the LL System Requirements specification has become.

Lol, rip Nic, you brainlet.

Cykarushb doesn’t play much anymore to quote them at the end of that because they got too busy with their job, temporarily deactivated their account in case it got yoinked, and then forgot about the game and now their account is gone. I’ve been trying to get them to play again but he’s super burnt out on computer games in general.

Honestly surprised the forum posts haven’t been deleted yet. 
That Z61t they mention is mine btw, he was wrong about Intel gma 945 not being able to play SL, it does:

AC7C81F4-BB65-47A8-910E-EEE71D885F9C.thumb.png.cc00399db381e5107259d0667030cb0c.png

35 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Mine, too

Mine was about 12-13 years ago. A few years ago I replaced the motherboard and CPU, the HDD with an SSD (since replaced 2X more, lol), the GPU, and the liquid cooler, plus upgraded the case fans, so all that is left is the case, the CD/DVD drive, and power supply. On my second monitor since the original, too (24" photo monitor). In a couple of years, will replace the whole thing with a new system (well, maybe not the monitor).

3 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

I "built" a Desktop computer to these same high-end specs on PCpartPicker dot com and the price added up to $1916.62, leaving out the speakers, keyboard, mouse and display--thinking those could be carried over from the last build.

Adding-in a name-brand keyboard, name-brand  gaming mouse, and a nice name-brand 27inch UHD/4K/3840x2160 monitor, I get $2220.54.

It pays to use a Desktop if you can, and pays to build your own, and building a computer is not that hard, and there are great tutorials available; for example: 

Interesting. Including a decent (not 4K) 27" monitor, an inexpensive keyboard and mouse, and of course Windows 10 (Home only). I came up with almost $2900. And their top-end build, with the same i9, but 32GB memory, and no peripherals and no OS is listed as a little over $2300. Add in the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS and you are again up about $2800. Still a lot cheaper than $4800, of course, but we are talking desktops and the $4800 system is a LAPTOP. If someone needs a LAPTOP it doesn't really matter how much a desktop costs, does it? Besides, the Alienware desktop with these specs and faster memory is $2900 right now. My build was $2600 wo/the monitor. For the $300, personally I would rather have the Alienware.

Also, I am not as confident as you are that someone with no experience in building systems would find it easy, having watched a few videos on it. Seems like a lot of trying to get things working together is involved. And of course you have no warranty, so are left to deal with any problems or incompatibilities yourself. Worth the savings? I guess to some people. For me, much cheaper commercial system meets my needs, and I don't have to spend hours trying to make stuff work. Even if I needed that much system, for $300 I would not put up with the headaches of building my own. To each their own.

FWIW...

Here’s my pcpartpicker link on that 9900K system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6b28Jb

It would be interesting to see others. There’s a lot more to think of when building a system than just base specs. A 9900K on B365 for example would work, but it would be a terrible choice since B365 can’t overclock nor could any B365 boards provide enough power for a 9900K. Some Z370 boards even can’t, Z390 is a requirement.

2400mhz ddr4 is incredibly low speed these days, 3200mhz is considered the new minimum.

A cheap psu is a bad choice, never cheap out on a psu.

A 9900K needs a high end cooler, even at stock tbh.

Sure you could get a 9900K and 64gb of ram with a 2080 and 3tb of storage for cheaper but it’s not worth the 200$ savings for overall worse components.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Alienware Area-51m Gaming Laptop

• 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.0Ghz w/Turbo Boost)
  • Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
  • 64GB, 4x16GB, DDR4 2400MHz
  • 2TB RAID 0 (2x 1TB NVMe M.2 SSDs) + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive

$4,849.99

2 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

Here’s my pcpartpicker link on that 9900K system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6b28Jb

It would be interesting to see others. There’s a lot more to think of when building a system than just base specs. A 9900K on B365 for example would work, but it would be a terrible choice since B365 can’t overclock nor could any B365 boards provide enough power for a 9900K. Some Z370 boards even can’t, Z390 is a requirement.

2400mhz ddr4 is incredibly low speed these days, 3200mhz is considered the new minimum.

A cheap psu is a bad choice, never cheap out on a psu.

A 9900K needs a high end cooler, even at stock tbh.

Sure you could get a 9900K and 64gb of ram with a 2080 and 3tb of storage for cheaper but it’s not worth the 200$ savings for overall worse components.

The reference system I was cloning is what it is.  The commercial systems save a penny where they can.  Buy a brand name pre-built computer, and you'll get a fancy logo, but you'll also get lower-end components than if you did it yourself.  You'll also get a lot of junk software that takes time to uninstall.  I did my pricing based on the not-that-bad, but nothing to brag about, components that I usually see when I open up a brand name system.  

Edited by Erwin Solo

6 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

...Seems like a lot of trying to get things working together is involved. And of course you have no warranty, so are left to deal with any problems or incompatibilities yourself. Worth the savings? I guess to some people. For me, much cheaper commercial system meets my needs, and I don't have to spend hours trying to make stuff work. Even if I needed that much system, for $300 I would not put up with the headaches of building my own. To each their own.

This is a very good point.  Some of us LIKE to build our own systems.  It saves money, or at least lets you put the money you save into even more performance.  It lets you get exactly the components you want.  But yes, it takes time.  Time to research the components, time to assemble them, time to troubleshoot the problems.  And yes, there's no system level warranty.  If something breaks, you have to figure out what, and then argue with that component's tech support that it really is THEIR item that's at fault.  Luckily, my Resident Geek gets off on all this stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is a very good point.  Some of us LIKE to build our own systems.  It saves money, or at least lets you put the money you save into even more performance.  It lets you get exactly the components you want.  But yes, it takes time.  Time to research the components, time to assemble them, time to troubleshoot the problems.  And yes, there's no system level warranty.  If something breaks, you have to figure out what, and then argue with that component's tech support that it really is THEIR item that's at fault.  Luckily, my Resident Geek gets off on all this stuff.

Yes, some people love that stuff, and take pride in having built their own system. I am not one of those people, lol, and have little patience with electronic stuff. ;)

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is a very good point.  Some of us LIKE to build our own systems.  It saves money, or at least lets you put the money you save into even more performance.  It lets you get exactly the components you want.  But yes, it takes time.  Time to research the components, time to assemble them, time to troubleshoot the problems.  And yes, there's no system level warranty.  If something breaks, you have to figure out what, and then argue with that component's tech support that it really is THEIR item that's at fault. 

100% agree.

Actually, I've built my own desktop PCs since mid-2002 in order to save money, after a suggestion of a back-then colleague. I guess I made every beginner's mistake within my first year of putting my own PC together - but I'm sure I've learned from them.

Of course there's been no system level warranty on my self-assembled desktop PC's - but I've been using every support I could get (tech forums, support of the component's creators, etc.) to assemble my computer properly. But to make matters more complicated, I don't use Windows as my main OS, but OpenSUSE (a Linux distribution) which back  then often had troubles with driver compatibilities. There still are a few components (like some TV cards, capture cards, some printers for example) that can give me headaches because of missing Linux drivers - so research is my friend.

3 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Yes, some people love that stuff, and take pride in having built their own system.

/me nods.

I do indeed. However, because of the budget I have to live with currently, I've only upgraded my PC one component at a time, during the last 5 years or so.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Is the bit about "buying your own sim" any kind of hint related to the qualities of the laptop? Or what's the point of it?

Now seriously, such kind of threads are like walking into a mall and saying, "I got money, I want clothes" and seriously expecting help.

What is your budget? What demands do you have in regards of your new machine?

I do not think he meant it that way at all.  You are over thinking the post lol

9 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I do not think he meant it that way at all.  You are over thinking the post lol

I am kind of disappointed that we have not heard from the OP (seemed to be a she?) again. Hopefully this has been of some use to her. If nothing else, I have learned some things, and it has been an interesting thread. Plus, I know two geeks to try to entice into building my next system. ;)

• Like 2

I have an older Lenovo W series Thinkpad into which I  stuck a 1TB drive, 32gb of RAM, and a used I7 3920XM processor. I think I paid 300 bucks for the laptop and maybe 300-400 dollars for everything else. It runs SL quite well with decent framerate / resolution settings without overheating or freezing. 

7 minutes ago, GabilondoYCia said:

I have an older Lenovo W series Thinkpad into which I  stuck a 1TB drive, 32gb of RAM, and a used I7 3920XM processor. I think I paid 300 bucks for the laptop and maybe 300-400 dollars for everything else. It runs SL quite well with decent framerate / resolution settings without overheating or freezing. 

I do also have a desktop I built with higher performance specs that runs SL even better, but it's in the den in the basement. I am upstairs most of the time so I use the Lenovo for SL 90% of the time.

1 hour ago, GabilondoYCia said:

Old workstations are always a good budget choice, anything with the Kepler quadro options these days comes super cheap for great performance.

Hey everyone! Thank you for the replies! I will definitely check out the other threads you guys shared. 

Right now with my laptop I can barely do anything in SL. I can move around but it takes forever for stuff to load and its super laggy all the time. I am going to be buying my own SIM and will need a better laptop because I will be building a lot of stuff myself. So because getting my own SIM will be a lot of work for me, I need a better SL experience. I also need a laptop because right now in my home I have nowhere to put a desktop! I have to use my laptop on my bed. And yes it can be uncomfortable but it is a necessity at this time. 

As for my budget I am setting my max limit to $3,000. I am saving now and it wont be until next year when I can get a new laptop. For now I am doing research. 

Thank you all for your input! I will be thoroughly researching everything :) 

• Like 2

An inexpensive Acer Nitro or Predator Laptop with a GTX 1050ti or Higher with 16 GB of ram with any 6 Core Intel or AMD processor is perfect!  same specs of my laptop that cost me $650..use it every day  on max setting in SL .. my advice is avoid any laptop that only uses a APU (intergrated graphics) vs a CPU/GPU combo..also SL works better with Nvidia Graphics.

• Like 1

OK, better ... rest assured that you won't need THAT much as budget. But nice to know that you are willing to spend such money, those "I need superb performance for absolutely zip".

Assuming that you might run content creation tasks besides fiddling with your sim in SL, more cores and 16GB RAM should be in favour for multitasking.

For storage, a SSD or a M.2 drive as system drive is quite a must have. Either a large one or an optional second drive to store your creatiosn.

Invest the rest into a good cooling concept by the manufactor and a high quality screen panel (good overall lightning, FullHD resolution).

And definitely keep an eye open for Black Friday and Cyber Monday offers...

For now, these examples can pose as drafts: MSI, Asus TUF, HP Omen ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moongal721 said:

As for my budget I am setting my max limit to $3,000. I am saving now and it wont be until next year when I can get a new laptop. For now I am doing research. 

I recommend pasting these words into your favorite internet search engine as part of your research.

How to Buy the Right Gaming Laptop A Guide for 2019 tomshardware

5 hours ago, moongal721 said:

Hey everyone! Thank you for the replies! I will definitely check out the other threads you guys shared. 

Right now with my laptop I can barely do anything in SL. I can move around but it takes forever for stuff to load and its super laggy all the time. I am going to be buying my own SIM and will need a better laptop because I will be building a lot of stuff myself. So because getting my own SIM will be a lot of work for me, I need a better SL experience. I also need a laptop because right now in my home I have nowhere to put a desktop! I have to use my laptop on my bed. And yes it can be uncomfortable but it is a necessity at this time. 

Good luck with everything! I think you can get a system that will meet your needs very well for that kind of money! :)

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Owl Dragonash said:

All of the laptops that are still available are over $1000. At that point you might as well spend it on a desktop and get almost double the performance.

Reading back on this thread, what on earth are you people doing if your computer builds are over $2000? lol

I made one in about 20 mins for less than $600, using good (even a bit overkill) gaming CPU/GPUs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pNTb2V

• 16 GB of RAM so you'll never need to close those Chrome tabs.
  • Graphics card: GTX 1660 (6 GB video memory)
    • Not because Second Life needs (or even can use) that much, but because it's good value.
    • This could easily be switched to a cheaper one, especially if you don't play games beyond SL.
    • For example, GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB video memory) would lower the cost to $500.
  • Processor: Core i5-9400F (2.9 to 4.1 GHz speed)
    • Fast, with enough cores to keep things running smooth with lots of programs.
    • And again, great value. Cheaping out on the processor is generally not a good idea.
  • The rest is just auxiliary stuff, I went for decent budget options. Upgrade if budget allows.
  • Some of it might not even be needed if you're willing to move things like HDD/RAM from your old computer to the new one.
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I'm not much into computers but SL forced me to read up on spec and in the UK anyway MSI was streets ahead on what you get for your money . About £1000 is nearing 3 times what i ever paid for a previous laptop but 3 years on i'm inclined to think i suffer less lag than most . Mind you having a temperature monitor convinced me to but a cheap cooling pad to go with it and that £15 was money well spent .

So, I just bought a Alienware M17 laptop and I was seriously disappointed that no actual Alien came with it. WTF?!?!??!

It runs SL super good. and opens photoshop in like ... a few seconds....

But it gets really hot on top of my lap..

But at least I do not see constant naked people or floating brains and whatnot.

Kind of shocking that people need a super computer to use sl no wonder numbers are declining.

7 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

So, I just bought a Alienware M17 laptop and I was seriously disappointed that no actual Alien came with it. WTF?!?!??!

Not even a sticker like I got with my iphone and macbook

It runs SL super good. and opens photoshop in like ... a few seconds....

But it gets really hot on top of my lap..

But at least I do not see constant naked people or floating brains and whatnot.

Kind of shocking that people need a super computer to use sl no wonder numbers are declining.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.