Holiday Desserts and Beverages ! Post your favorite of both !

roseelvira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Holiday-Desserts.jpg.dfd4d2a29deefa0483f91adc960480e8.jpgMini-Cherry-Cheesecakes-Recipe.jpg.929612c86047bed23a9789089323d8c2.jpgimagesMGD1KW3Z.jpg.8fe49f891b4a01e378411db1af8697a0.jpgimagesJJDLI9VW.jpg.c88df6dd5b313443dc53b6d2a6734339.jpg

Hot chocolate floats  with or without  Kahlua

Edited by roseelvira
keyboard /typing errors
  • Like 4

Rose, even though I've mostly given up sugar, I am still going to have a piece of pie on Thanksgiving.  For Christmas, I will have a treat too...perhaps cheesecake?  I don't know yet.  But, my favorite is cherry pie and I'm lucky because most people's favorite is NOT cherry pie...except my ex-husband...so the leftover cherry pie was always given to us.  

cherry pie.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We don't do a lot of desserts at the holiday meal, but the kids insist on Oreo Cookie Pie every year.

With the family get togethers  they usually bring desserts and with a big family the desserts go pretty quick!  

Thanksgiving  has alway been the kickoff . A lot of vegan  desserts are being made as well and after tasting them they are pretty yummy!!! .The flavored coffees  and decaf  and different teas  served with the desserts.   Amazing how different a dessert can taste if served with tea or coffee has a different melody to the taste buds. 

6 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

Every year, my family clamors for a simple holiday drink..

I fill the crock pot with apple juice, add a bag of cinnamon red-hots and stir periodically as it warms.  Served hot from the crock-pot, its popular at parties and my now-adult children love it 🙂

CinnamonApleCiderB-1.jpg

Wow!!! My hubby wants me to try and make that!  

Spritz cookies. Simple but just "holidays" to me.

Of course there was the one year we made :::cough::: anatomically correct gingerbread people. That was a riot, especially the conversation in the candy aisle as we were trying to figure out which candy would work well for which bits. Gummy worms made it to the list...

spritz cookies.JPG

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

WOW !!!  This looks sooo yummy  ! is the  recipe  on line?

Ingredients

• 2 cups eggnog
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1oz Brandy (bourbon or  spiced rum may be used instead)
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • additional 4 tablespoons sugar

Hardware

• butane torch

Directions

• Preheat oven to 325°.
  • Add the cream and eggnog into a large saucepan or pot; split the vanilla bean down the middle, and scrape out the inner paste, and add both the paste and the scraped bean into the cream/eggnog mixture; place the mixture over medium heat, and bring just to the boil, then turn off and allow to steep for 10-15 minutes.
  • Remove vanilla pod; set the cream/eggnog mixture aside to cool.
  • In a large bowl, add the yolks and 1/3 cup of sugar, whisk until pale and thickened; next, slowly add a ladle-full of the warm cream/eggnog mixture into the eggs, whisking all the while, to temper and warm the eggs so they don’t scramble; then, slowly pour the remaining cream/eggnog mixture into the yolks/sugar and whisk, and then add the brandy and the nutmeg, and gently whisk to incorporate.
  • Transfer to ten 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place cups in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
  • In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining sugar.
    • If using a torch: Sprinkle custards with sugar mixture. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. Serve immediately.
    • If you do not have a torch, your can caramelize the sugar in your oven. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Broil 8 in. from the heat 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized.
  • Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until firm.
Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 3

We make lots of different cookies for Christmas, but we don't really go for other desserts, except these..

39438016c17a9a08c8aa_1024.thumb.jpg.56855bc4c5eabef0d5c50249608c96c8.jpg

kolache-cookies-picture.thumb.jpg.c83b1b6d1d2bbd57559943f8f1bfa1a8.jpg

They go by many names, even though they're not really all the same. What they're called usually depends on which language you're using, though, lol. 
balish, kolacky, kolaches, kiffles, kifli

Most people in the US seem to call them balish, and I'm guessing it's because they don't know the real name, lol. Even grocery stores that sell them tend to have them labelled as balish (or some spelling of the word, most of which aren't right, there aren't that many variations of the spelling).

I don't like most of the fruit ones, especially apricot (I don't like apricots, but many fruit ones are made with jellies and spreads that are gross once cooked). My favorite are the ones with walnuts and other nut mixtures, they're delicious. 

As for drinks... we don't have any lol. I can't stand eggnog and we've never really been a fancy drink sort of family. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.