Problem with neck fix GENUS

AlaskaShadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In your first image you're wearing two neck fixes: the one on the head and the one on the body. If you get much closer to your neck then you'll see them feather either up and out or down and out, depending on which one you're wearing. I've cropped and enlarged your first image to show you what both neck fixes look like, below:

207998109.png.3cfe9d4578bab82d005352a8d6251f29.png

Rhonda's image showed you the neck fix option for the Maitreya body, but it looks like you found the neck fix option for the Genus head, because - in your second image - that's the 'feathering' (down & out) that you've removed, while the body's 'feathering' (up & out) remains, as below:

208154781.png.11000ed4eb8cee5718526abd1a36d47b.png

So look on your Maitreya HUD, find the option that's shown in Rhonda's screenshot, and click that 'Neck Fix On/Off' button until the feathering goes away. You may then need to fine tune the neck size and body fat options between the Genus and Maitreya HUDs to get an exact fit.

Also, be aware that - from your screenshots - I can see that you appear to be using the default day/night cycles in your viewer, and those are not kind to mesh heads and bodies, leading to all kinds of small (but irritating) issues, such as shadows and light areas, as well as neck seams. Most people who use mesh heads and bodies also use a brighter, kinder Windlight setting such as Nam's Optimal Skin & Prim, or [NB] Alpine Skinlight RGB. The Firestorm viewer ships with a lot of Windlight settings, but if you're using the stock Second Life viewer then it has a very limited Windlight selection that doesn't include any of those. They can easily be installed, though, so if you need to know how to do that then we can walk you through it :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlaskaShadow said:

That was very helpful thank you!!

I tuned the neck size between Maitreya and Genus HUDs and I'm using Firestorm so I changed the Windlight to [NB] Alpine Skinlight RGB and it definitely looks better but there's still a little line there. Can that be fixed?

image.png.4f93f4c5953ee96953db68cd19b52ef4.png

I think it is within what we can except. Caveat: A different skin creator **can** make a better seam. Perhaps. It is, after all, 2 different meshes from 2 different creators.

I think that my LeLutka head and Maitreya body has a very good seam, less noticeable than this. These two businesses work together, I think they have shared the neck details with each other Correct me if I am wrong.

I don't use the Genus head since I don't like the look of it, so I can not say if it is possible with a better fit than you have.

I wonder if BoM will help on this or not.

• Like 1

Check for any gloss/shine/environment settings on both the Maitreya and the Genus HUDs. I don't use Genus and have never seen their HUD, but I do recall seeing a few of the ladies on the forum complaining some time back that there was an issue with Genus having some kind of shine on it that needed adjusting before the neck would look right. That may have since been fixed, but it's worth checking on both HUDs nonetheless.

ETA: Also check for any tinting. If you've not tried to change the colour on either the body or head in order to get it to match then that's probably not what's behind it, but it's another thing to look at. If you have an option to enter RGB values then use 255,255,255 (that's commas and no spaces) - which is white, or un-tinted. (The HSL equivalent of that white - if you only have HSL as an option - is H = 0, S = 0.0, L = 100.0).

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

[...] having some kind of shine on it that needed adjusting before the neck would look right.

Yes, it is precisely this. The features of the head are stunning - I suspect most would give an arm and a leg if mesh bodies supported some of that stuff. The bad caveat is that when those features are used - instant neck seam. @AlaskaShadow - you need to select porous skin mode then turn the opacity slider (circle) all the way down to 10% (I've never gotten it to zero, myself) Now you will have a much better neck seam.

Note that with all bodies and head made by different creators, there always will be a neck seam no matter what you do because of the way SL lighting (any SL lighting) works on mesh. It' will look *perfect* in some lighting and terrible in other lighting and every person will see it differently. Thus, I find it best to get it "good enough" then try to just ignore it because it is something out of all our control in the end.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.