Live Streaming?

duLuna Bosatsu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this may sound a bit redundant and messy (as far as lag would be concerned) in the making, but considering the nature of a second life platform... 

Is live streaming to the grid something people (can) do? I've been looking for a tv on the market place that plays channels as you watch them to anyone else on the parcel*- full control to you so if you're a DJ in a club you can switch visuals to your choosing pending on the music or an ambient background (for skylofts or sim aesthetic). Or If you're a streamer and wanted to bring more people into SL itself or for VIP groups, why not make exclusive streaming to the client? 

*without the need everyone clicks it at once so it stays in synch

I think maybe it could work if you live streamed to youtube and pasted the link into a tv?

Edited by duLuna Bosatsu

I've done this with my personal TV script years ago but I had since lost it. It is very much possible to sync stuff such as YouTube and other things, but requires scripting and a special web socket server. It is even easier with live streams such as those provided by Twitch, YouTube, and so on.

However, streaming channels, say for example, Adult Swim, Boomerang, Fox, etc, those very much depend. For this example I will use Adult Swim because I know they provide this:

You can embed this link on MOAP: https://www.adultswim.com/streams
You cannot use third party streams or stream your satellite or cable receiver.

Note that while Adult Swim tends to re-stream the channel for free, sometimes it may require you to log in using your satellite or cable provider. Other services such as TruTV also will require this.

It is important to note, a lot of "TV"s on the Marketplace can get you in legal trouble. ZERO of these providers have a license to the content(Often movies) they stream. The reason LL has not removed these isn't publicly stated, but I would presume the following:

1. They have no solid evidence that the providers have no license to stream said content.
  2. They have not received a complaint from the copyright holders.
  3. It is not hosted by Linden Lab and the content is provided by users.

If you wish to stream public domain, content licensed under a permissive license(such as Big Buck Bunny), or content you have a license to, you can do so by using https://icecast.org/ and https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Hope this answers your questions!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 5:13 PM, Chaser Zaks said:

[...]

Hope this answers your questions!

Wow, more than! Thanks Chaser. Now just for clarification (since I'm not a scripter): would the tv/script I buy have to indicate its compatibility with Twitch/Youtube/Icecast specifically? Ideally I would be looking to do streaming solo without Youtube or Twitch, is this where Icecast comes in? And, I didn't know VLC was a streaming host! Clearly I have more research to do lol

18 minutes ago, duLuna Bosatsu said:

Wow, more than! Thanks Chaser. Now just for clarification (since I'm not a scripter): would the tv/script I buy have to indicate its compatibility with Twitch/Youtube/Icecast specifically? Ideally I would be looking to do streaming solo without Youtube or Twitch, is this where Icecast comes in? And, I didn't know VLC was a streaming host! Clearly I have more research to do lol

If you are streaming to twitch or youtube, you don't need a specific brand of TV. If it supports custom URLs that will make it easier!

If you want to just embed the media, you can use twitch and youtube's embed URLs on a MOAP face. If you don't know how to do this, Linden Lab has provided documentation here:

As for the embed URLs:

As for specific TV brands, most that I know support at least YouTube. Most will also support Twitch.

Icecast is used if you want to host your streaming server. If you are using Twitch or YouTube, this is unneeded.

As for streaming, you can choose to use VLC or OBS:

While VLC is more geared towards video playback, it can still be used for streaming, although I would advise against it as it does require a bit more setup and knowledge regarding it's qwerks.

Streaming with OBS on the other hand, both have very well written documentations by their providers:

Edited by Chaser Zaks
clarifications

19 minutes ago, duLuna Bosatsu said:

duLuna, I would like to be able to stream YouTube also as the music I want is a particular niche and I don't know if the music I want for my dance routines is available anywhere else other than YouTube as it's not mainstream...it's unusual and rare.

I would love to be able to stream YouTube too and not to have everyone have to click on it at the same time because what if all cannot be there at the same time.

I have contacted YouTube personally if I can stream YouTube in my virtual club without having to pay any licensing fees.  I have yet to receive an answer from YouTube.  I was, however, told to contact LL about it too and to see what they have to say about it in regards to YouTube.

I believe this is badly needed for SL because of music that is considered "rare" and is not readily available any where else as well as it's way cool to watch the videos, see the pictures, etc.   

So, if you figure anything out...please let me know!  I would like for it to be where all do not have to click the screen at the same time too.

p.s.  Chaser and I posted at the very exact time.  It happens.  I need time to read Chaser's post above and instructions.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.