Making SL more welcoming to males

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

How are you at weaving baskets? Once we get the guillotines in full operation, we're going to need LOTS of baskets, to catch the severed, um . . . heads.

Yeah, that's it! Severed "heads"!

1055249179_FrenchRevolutionKnitting-Blank.jpg.d5a3009096aee53c4dabd562947fdb8f.jpg

Well... they may not hold water but they do hold.. erm... heavy objects quite well.

1160.jpg

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/15/2019 at 10:48 AM, Bree Giffen said:

SL seems to be tilted toward the feminine. Is that right? How do we make it more masculine? Maybe more pickup trucks. What would you suggest.

I think most men get lost at the lack of objectives, for me, I like money, so I make products and buy land. Money is like my religion, so making that L$ counter tick is my ladder and objective.

Men are generally more into competitive games with clear defined goals, which doesn't exist nor do they need to exist in SL, it is a sandbox.

Social wise I do not see issues, the P2D ratio is pretty good, I prefer a high P2D over sausage party. I am that guy that clicks on the back first to see if there's a slapping sound.

Fashion, well, choice is pretty limited there is no doubt about that, it is the free market at work. As a merchant I can testify that female product sales (especially shoes and hair) is absolutely insane compared to males, so for the same time spend, no one with profit in mind will make male cloth when they can make another pump with an extra bow and milk in the shoe cash. 

If you are a 3D artist and you like money, make footwear for women. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Social wise I do not see issues, the P2D ratio is pretty good, I prefer a high P2D over sausage party.

I know I am going to be sorry I asked this, but . . . what is "P2D"?

And what in the name of all that is good and holy does this mean?

7 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

I am that guy that clicks on the back first to see if there's a slapping sound.

13 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

I am that guy that clicks on the back first to see if there's a slapping sound.

That is a pretty good indicator.  Leave the "hi" stuff to the people that don't understand.  Not by words but by deeds.

• Like 1

As a male in SL, I haven't seen this as a problem.

I've tried the sex sims. It's like clubbing, on easy mode. No problem finding women. Got boring after a while. Met some good people, though.

The way to get somewhere in SL is to DO something. I built motorcycles, people liked those, and I met people that way. I've spent a lot of time driving around SL. Over 2000km of driving. I've built escalators, moving sidewalks, and animesh non-player characters, and met people interested in those things. I have a workshop in-world and a store on Marketplace. It doesn't make a lot of money, but I don't have to buy Lindens.

If you create stuff in SL, over time you meet other creators, and they're usually interesting people. I like having an elaborate, populated 3D world to create in. I just want it to be better. If your idea of a good time involves making things, SL is quite welcoming. I used to build elaborate steampunk props in RL, back when steampunk and the maker movement were big. Now I'm mostly doing things in SL.

I'm still using a free avatar, although one of the better ones. I usually wear jeans and a leather jacket in SL, which is what I often wear in RL. Yes, the clothing options for men are fewer. That's true in RL, too. Go to any American mall.

Not seeing a big problem.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I’m assuming he’s talking about spankers, though I have no idea why he didn’t just say that.

I thought so too . . . except that I'm not sure why it would be useful to hear if there is a "slapping" sound?

Probably you're right, though. Spankers (and whoopee cushions) sound like about the appropriate level of sophistication.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I has a sad. I never learned how to knit. Crochet, embroidery, cross stitch, finger weaving and sewing clothing but never knitting. Best I can do is this knitting.gif.8c08a21cb2a6330fc5cd2cb71af85bdd.gif

bawl.gif.846b9bdff71440b91b7a4e0601dd1895.gif

The basics are easy. Knitwitch on YouTube is pretty good. When following a pattern, though,  pay attention to the needle size specifications. They really matter.

11 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

The basics are easy. Knitwitch on YouTube is pretty good. When following a pattern, though,  pay attention to the needle size specifications. They really matter.

Thanks but... no thanks. My post was intended to be funny but turned into one of my world renowned lead balloons. Knitting never held any appeal for me. Couldn't afford the needles anyway. Fingerweaving requires no needles. And yes you can do as much with fingerweaving as you can knitting or crocheting although things like afghans get a bit bulky to weave which is when 72" wooden dowels come in handy.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Just out of curiosity I went to the Marketplace. I typed in p***s guillotine. Marketplace did not disappoint.

Well that's disturbing. 

Stylist Gok Wan, known for his body positivity and love of the high street, used to destroy women's hideous, greying, baggy old pants (underwear) by feeding them through a paper shredder. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Well that's disturbing.

One of the very first, er . . . animated sex/torture/mutilation machines I ever came across in SL was a guillotine designed to separate a female avatar from her breasts.

It would have been more disturbing had it not been so blessedly stupid.

Anyway, tit for tat, I suppose. (So to speak.)

8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Stylist Gok Wan, known for his body positivity and love of the high street, used to destroy women's hideous, greying, baggy old pants (underwear) by feeding them through a paper shredder.

I've wanted to do that. I wonder if a food processor would work?

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One of the very first, er . . . animated sex/torture/mutilation machines I ever came across in SL was a guillotine designed to separate a female avatar from her breasts.

Yeah. Disturbing but perhaps not surprising, on both counts. It's SL, after all. I can't think where the reputation comes from!

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've wanted to do that. I wonder if a food processor would work?

The elastic was usually what caused any problems. There were a lot of jammings.

I tend to use worn, old granny pants as cleaning rags. Made a sling out of a pair once, when one of my niece's teddy bears hurt his arm.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

What I am going to say is in regards to SL and not male nor female anything...but I always thought SL should come with a little booklet when you start.

I was on a laptop when I started and I could not complete the beginner tasks because I was on a laptop I bought for music and watching concerts and not for graphics of any kind.  On the laptop I could barely even move....so it was no go with completing the beginner "tasks".  I think a notecard was included but I wasn't even sure what a notecard was yet let alone what it was called or where it went.  All I remember is the notecard may have said something like "what is the difference between wear and add"....but I was so flustered that I couldn't even hardly move my avatar and horribly attempting to navigate my avatar to get free stuff at Freebie Galaxy to learn how to use stuff...I don't know what the notecard said.    

A clearer starter pamphlet could be very useful to consider.  

Perhaps just directing people to the knowledge base.

• Like 1

I actually thought knitting was really cool these days. Keep seeing celebrities with their needles out, actresses doing it between takes or while waiting to shoot their scenes. My Facebook feed has lots of vintage-loving fashionistas sharing their creations. One of them made me the most beautiful baby blanket when my son was born.

And of course there is my crochet satirist heroine at Snorkers Imaginarium, who makes and sells patterns for such masterpieces as the Inhuman Brexipede and voodoo pincushions of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and Jacob Rees-Mogg. Though she first shot to fame some years ago with Michael Gove. 

10 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

You know, it's possible that a large proportion of all the terrible, tasteless women's clothing is actually being bought by men.

I don't blame the buyers. Whoever they are, when the jeans apocalypse comes, they'll be happy they hoarded all those miniskirts and shorts. They'll sit there in their palace of thongs, knot tops, and sheer camisoles, with their denim-enforced and very curvy walls. All of us outside, we'll be wearing sweaters or long skirts, or even *gasp* pants, and we'll beg to be allowed into their kingdom for even a small taste of that precious fabric against our feeble bodies. And they'll laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oh God. I was in a lingerie shop years ago and I heard some wag who was there with his wife ask the sales assistant if they had any clothes for men. She told him all the clothes there were for men. I don't entirely agree, but I laughed so hard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.