Making SL more welcoming to males

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Stop hanging out in Blueberry with your 'cam' focused on my butt, and go to actual male shops and buy stuff...

Ladies and poorly-clad gentlemen, I give you the Forum Line of the Evening. Thank you for coming. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I think there's a massive difference between stating the fact that you don't always notice local (like you), and proclaiming that reading local is beneath you. And this is still true if you swap "IM" for "local".

Preferences are fine, making a note in your profile about your unconscious behaviour is fine, but if you ignore one of the two main methods of communication in SL over some self-righteous crusade... you're probably not worth talking to anyway.

I guess I've never encountered the self-righteous crusader about anti-local, unless I am one. I've never stated "I will never...!" but honestly, I hate local. When I do pay attention to it, it is like that comment Conall DeCuir made just above.  It literally does hurt my head. Maybe I'm lucky. I've never been rudely yelled at by a stranger I've IMed for IMing and not local. I've been ignored, and that's ok, I often don't notice IMs OR local. (If you get me while I'm really engrossed in taking a photo in SL, my frikkin apartment building could burn down around me and I wouldn't notice.) 

• Like 2

I've read through some/most of the posts in this thread, and I have to say I just don't really get the whole premise of the OP, that: SL is more feminine and how do we skew it towards the masculine. (Nothing against Bree and her OP, obviously it has generated some interesting comments.)

I just don't see it. Yes, some of the shopping is geared more towards women, but that is true in RL, and I don't really want to skew RL any more to the masculine because more women shop! (And I agree with whoever mentioned that we may have more clothes options, but so much of that is just the same old thing over and over again.) I also hate that stereotype, but...

I think it is more of how to attract, and keep, new residents of any persuasion, and how do we encourage a less ***hole standard of behavior (as being bantered about in other threads). (And, good luck with THAT.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conall DeCuir said:

As for the clothes for us men ............ there is a *****load of really great clothes available for us. I hear the women i am with constantly moaning because the textures are better and the clothes are much more interesting and detailed. 

Since I started cross-dressing in SL, I have noticed that a lot of womenswear is on average of poorer quality than menswear and a lot of it is just made from the same full perm kits with different textures. It's also often much cheaper; I can buy shedloads of womens clothes for L$1 per item but try doing that for men and you won't find anywhere near as much. The bulk of the menswear is more expensive but it does seem to be of better quality on average, and more likely to be unique.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Well, gosh. I think I just removed it from my profile because I'm rearranging things on my profile, but I did state that I often don't see local, so if I'm approached in local and I ignore you it is probably for that reason. I don't read it. I have to force myself to read it at clubs. I don't notice it because I'm usually busy shopping or taking photos or exploring or... and not expecting conversation.

There is a difference between “often don’t see local” and the type of people who go out of their way to ignore local as if them doing so is some kind of status badge to be worn with pride and feel they have to make a massive point about it in their profile. Well we are all guilty of not paying attention to local chat if we are in a store or exploring a club or similar, that is fine. The type of people I am talking about are those who are actually at their computer making a big point of ignoring local as if talking in local somehow lowers their social status to that of less than a peasant. Aka a******s

• Like 3

Just now, ItHadToComeToThis said:

There is a difference between “often don’t see local” and the type of people who go out of their way to ignore local as if them doing so is some kind of status badge to be worn with pride and feel they have to make a massive point about it in their profile. Well we are all guilty of not paying attention to local chat if we are in a store or exploring a club or similar, that is fine. The type of people I am talking about are those who are actually at their computer making a big point of ignoring local as if talking in local somehow lowers their social status to that of less than a peasant. Aka a******s

Huh. I just mentioned above that I have never run into someone like this (that I know about). There's lots of things I haven't encountered in SL in 10+ years.

• Like 1

Men's clothing is a problem. There's a serious lack of quality options.

I'm also not going to buy the crap options hoping creators might make good options, that's terrible advice. 

When I see something good, I get it. I tell the creator what's good about it, and I wait for them to release more. In some cases, that was years ago and I'm still waiting. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

The type of people I am talking about are those who are actually at their computer making a big point of ignoring local as if talking in local somehow lowers their social status to that of less than a peasant.

I've never seen this before. I've seen people who simply state that they don't look at local, but if that's what you're talking about, I think you're doing a bit of projecting there. I don't look at local. Like someone up above said, it's often a freaking nightmare of gesturbating, spam, inane conversations, and those two girls in every club/store/shopping event trying soooooooo hard to be super edgy. Local chat is bloody awful for the most part. 

I don't actually have it in my profile that I don't pay attention to local because I don't especially care. I can see how some people would, though, because it's saying, to me, that they want people to say hello or whatever, and would like it in an IM so they don't miss it - "You want to talk to me? Great! I don't look at local, though, so please send me an IM."

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Huh. I just mentioned above that I have never run into someone like this (that I know about). There's lots of things I haven't encountered in SL in 10+ years.

I've seen the occasional comment to this effect in profiles, almost invariably in a club where they are posting inane gestures - in local chat. 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Since I started cross-dressing in SL, I have noticed that a lot of womenswear is on average of poorer quality than menswear and a lot of it is just made from the same full perm kits with different textures. It's also often much cheaper; I can buy shedloads of womens clothes for L$1 per item but try doing that for men and you won't find anywhere near as much. The bulk of the menswear is more expensive but it does seem to be of better quality on average, and more likely to be unique.

I agree with this...excluding the cheaper clothing for Classic avatars for both and female.  I mean the mesh clothing of both female and male.  I find the men's has a little more thought to it...and yes better quality....more unique.  

I have sent male friends clothing items as gifts because sometimes I know they just won't take the time to go looking nor do they understand how to quickly go through Marketplace by using filters or other MP "tricks" many of us have listed in threads here, which I do.   

I have looked at many men's clothes for friends because I had noticed a trend in their SL to not change very much and one did not change at all....not at all.  

Back to Bree, I love you new avatar look!  It still looks like your face but love the new hair color!   

As far as how to make SL more appealing to males...I wish I had an easy answer although most of the males I have met seem to like it otherwise they wouldn't return and mostly what they want is to just be treated kindly like any other human being or any being on this planet.   And, I guess I'm saying they don't want to be put down.  They don't know if women want to date...if women want them to never contact them...they are confused at times what women want or what an average female avatar wants whether actually female or male as the rl person.  

People say they hate profiles, people say they love profiles.  I don't know if profiles are everything but copying and pasting as one person said is not really saying much about yourself.

Perhaps some way to make it less confusing for males as to what women want...but how beyond profiles...I don't have any easy answers.  Groups perhaps.  Get involved with groups so you see the same people for awhile and get to know them.

Additionally, once you tell a male friend about the outfits feature and that they can change with just a click...they are most thankful to know that.   And, don't forget to tell them to keep their hud on before they make the outfit so they don't have to go digging for their hud.  

Edited by FairreLilette

^^^ There's a crossover here into peeveland, where guys join groups which are predominantly female, then send out a greeting on group chat, presumably having scoped who's on line first. I've even had IMs occasionally from guys who have checked my profile from a group, then popped an IM. Having said that, this hunting style seems to be more considered and with less of an agenda. And never starts with hi.

On the subject of local, I'm guilty as charged. Not with intent, rather by neglect. I just forget it's there.

Well when I started in SL I used to look at the demographics.   while most avatars in 2007 and 08 were female, the majority of accounts were male.  So i'm not sure what you're saying...but I don't know what the current demographics are.  My assumption is that since the majority of avatars are female, clothing etc. is set for them to buy.

I've always felt welcome and I'm not here to shop...so... :)

• Like 3

On 11/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, Bree Giffen said:

SL seems to be tilted toward the feminine. Is that right? How do we make it more masculine? Maybe more pickup trucks. What would you suggest.

RIGHT!! We need more men for sure.   I swear to God it's all females, or men pretending to be females.   I have not seen a SL ad on any social media or TV ... Seems they can use some of that premium fees we give them on advertising. Like a big super bowl halftime commercial...

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, operationhammerman said:

Disbanding the misandrist forum knitting circle might be a start...

Failing that, LL should at the very least lock down or remove the "I hate life" thread, IMO. Any male newcomers reading that would probably conclude that SL is just a hive for female hysteria. 

That thread will hopefully weed out the kind of male newcomers who call mental illnesses “female hysteria”. 🖕🏻

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, operationhammerman said:

Failing that, LL should at the very least lock down or remove the "I hate life" thread, IMO. Any male newcomers reading that would probably conclude that SL is just a hive for female hysteria. 

I'm always the last to know! Missandei has a knitting group here on the Forum? I'm glad I have premium SL so that I have the extra group slots. I'm so joining!

taking a short break from my hysteria to be hysterical... hysterically funny   :::cymbal crash:::

missendie.jpg

Edited by Seicher Rae
I'll be here all week folks. Don't forget to tip the waitresses.
  • Haha 8

On 11/14/2019 at 4:48 PM, Bree Giffen said:

SL seems to be tilted toward the feminine. Is that right? How do we make it more masculine? Maybe more pickup trucks. What would you suggest.

What I am going to say is in regards to SL and not male nor female anything...but I always thought SL should come with a little booklet when you start.

I was on a laptop when I started and I could not complete the beginner tasks because I was on a laptop I bought for music and watching concerts and not for graphics of any kind.  On the laptop I could barely even move....so it was no go with completing the beginner "tasks".  I think a notecard was included but I wasn't even sure what a notecard was yet let alone what it was called or where it went.  All I remember is the notecard may have said something like "what is the difference between wear and add"....but I was so flustered that I couldn't even hardly move my avatar and horribly attempting to navigate my avatar to get free stuff at Freebie Galaxy to learn how to use stuff...I don't know what the notecard said.    

A clearer starter pamphlet could be very useful to consider.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Since I started cross-dressing in SL, I have noticed that a lot of womenswear is on average of poorer quality than menswear and a lot of it is just made from the same full perm kits with different textures.

Yep.

This is something I first noticed being made as a point by 3D modelers in the year 2000...

You can spend 5 minutes and make junk that fits a female character or 10 days making a masterpiece for a male character... and the junk for the female figures will still sell better.

So... just dial it in... and collect your cash.

There are many reasons I'm mostly nude in SL, and yeah; this is one of them. There's a LOT of stuff I can wear... but most of it is junk. So... why bother... when my mesh body nude looks so amazing. :P

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, operationhammerman said:

You can do it self-service.  The forums have an "ignore-user" button that functions much like the in-world mute button, but with more options. I've learned to never argue here; they just all pile on--whether alts or separate people, I'll never know.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm always the last to know! Missandei has a knitting group here on the Forum? I'm glad I have premium SL so that I have the extra group slots. I'm so joining!

taking a short break from my hysteria to be hysterical... hysterically funny   :::cymbal crash:::

missendie.jpg

I has a sad. I never learned how to knit. Crochet, embroidery, cross stitch, finger weaving and sewing clothing but never knitting. Best I can do is this knitting.gif.8c08a21cb2a6330fc5cd2cb71af85bdd.gif

bawl.gif.846b9bdff71440b91b7a4e0601dd1895.gif

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, operationhammerman said:

Is the incel subreddit going to be able to function while gems like this are being shared here and not there? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

50 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I has a sad. I never learned how to knit. Crochet, embroidery, cross stitch, finger weaving and sewing clothing but never knitting. Best I can do is this knitting.gif.8c08a21cb2a6330fc5cd2cb71af85bdd.gif

bawl.gif.846b9bdff71440b91b7a4e0601dd1895.gif

How are you at weaving baskets? Once we get the guillotines in full operation, we're going to need LOTS of baskets, to catch the severed, um . . . heads.

Yeah, that's it! Severed "heads"!

1055249179_FrenchRevolutionKnitting-Blank.jpg.d5a3009096aee53c4dabd562947fdb8f.jpg

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.