Maitreya Layers

Ajay McDowwll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all :)

I'm... actually not sure if I have a question anymore, since I seem to have gotten it to work, but my question was about tattoos and what (if any) layers take priority over others.

Last night I was trying to put on two of my upper body tattoos:  one that went on my front, and one that went on my back.  For some reason, I simply could not make it work!  Either the front would be on, or the back, but never both.  I checked to make sure I wasn't trying to apply them both to the same layer.  I'd do tattoo/ underwear, then underwear/ tattoo, and regardless of what order, the moment I applied the second tattoo... BAM!  The first disappeared.

Now I tried it again today, and first try it went right.  I put the tattoo layer on my back, the underwear layer on my front, and both stayed.  Last night, though, I could swear the very same method wasn't working.

Is this a thing?

Full disclosure:  it also could have been a "me" issue, since I'm a total genius and managed to break and dislocate one of my ribs Tuesday, which had me in the ER last night, which led to blessed, blessed IM morphine.  So... yeah, I wasn't totally present 😛

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
Wording. Again.

It's an issue of alpha conflicts, most probably. Both layers are basically covering your entire body with a large alpha layer, and on that alpha is the tattoo itself - so when you put a tattoo on the underwear layer, its alpha will cover the tattoo, and cause an alpha collision, making you render only the top layer. Switching the layers off and on may temporarily 'fix' this, but it may break any moment again (just like hair alphas causing clipping with tattoos or tops with alpha layers, and right-clicking the hair to render properly temporarily).

This is one of the many things that BoM should fix, and whilst Maitreya hasn't yet released their BoM update (haven't heard of any release date as of yet), there is a free Maitreya BoM HUD that you can get and begin playing around with - you will however need to have the tattoos, and your skin, as system layers to use it.

Edited by Orwar

16 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Full disclosure:  it also could have been a "me" issue, since I'm a total genius and managed to break and dislocate one of my ribs Tuesday, which had me in the ER last night, which led to blessed, blessed IM morphine.  So... yeah, I wasn't totally present 😛

Jeebus! You're a SL warrior! Fussing with layers with a freshly broken rib. And, heh, SL on morphine sounds pretty sweet. I broke my elbow and arm and wrist some months ago, and while I didn't have IM morphine (to my knowledge), I did have some pretty nice pain medicine. Unlike you I didn't try to fuss with my avatar. :)  Hope you are better soon.

33 minutes ago, Orwar said:

It's an issue of alpha conflicts, most probably. Both layers are basically covering your entire body with a large alpha layer, and on that alpha is the tattoo itself - so when you put a tattoo on the underwear layer, its alpha will cover the tattoo, and cause an alpha collision, making you render only the top layer. Switching the layers off and on may temporarily 'fix' this, but it may break any moment again (just like hair alphas causing clipping with tattoos or tops with alpha layers, and right-clicking the hair to render properly temporarily).

This is one of the many things that BoM should fix, and whilst Maitreya hasn't yet released their BoM update (haven't heard of any release date as of yet), there is a free Maitreya BoM HUD that you can get and begin playing around with - you will however need to have the tattoos, and your skin, as system layers to use it.

Okay, so if I understand correctly, this is something that just borks at random then, correct?  If so, I'll live with it until my preferred skin maker comes out with a BoM compatible skin.  It isn't the end of the world if I can't wear all my tattoos at once as often as I'd like.  Thank you so much!

20 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Jeebus! You're a SL warrior! Fussing with layers with a freshly broken rib. And, heh, SL on morphine sounds pretty sweet. I broke my elbow and arm and wrist some months ago, and while I didn't have IM morphine (to my knowledge), I did have some pretty nice pain medicine. Unlike you I didn't try to fuss with my avatar. :)  Hope you are better soon.

LOL!  I also hosted my first set for a DJ in about 10 years yesterday, pre-ER visit (this shopping addiction isn't going to pay for itself, yo).  Of course, that's when I thought my ribs were just bruised, per my visit to the express clinic and their x-rays taken Tuesday... but after the set was over and it just kept getting worse and worse, I finally looked at my husband and said that we needed to go.

There's one $500 copay I'll never see again... and that morphine was 100% worth it, as were the new set of x-rays that proved I'd actually broken a bone.  I felt weirdly vindicated :P  I have a good pain tolerance in general, but last night by the time we got to the ER I'd lost most rationality and the ability to cope with standard institutional processes.  Also, tears happened. 

The morphine, however, cheered me up greatly. That combined with the adrenaline rush (and an unexpected SL beach party) had me trying to get my layers straight through a haze of prescribed medication 🤣

• Like 1

OMG Ajay, I hope you are okay. Please rest and take care of yourself.

Anyway, Orwar is right about the alpha conflicts; while you can wear one tattoo on each layer, it can cause conflict and that can cause one or both of the tattoos to flicker or disappear at certain camera angles.

The usual trick is to set one of the layers to Mask instead of Blend, and while this will work for, say, a t-shirt, it will completely spoil a tattoo. But there is a workaround that does actually work.

Wear one tattoo on the Tattoo layer, in Blend mode. Wear the other tattoo on the Clothes layer, also in Blend mode. And wear nothing on the Underwear layer, but set that layer to Mask mode. Having the Mask layer inbetween the two tattoos stops them conflicting with one another.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Wear one tattoo on the Tattoo layer, in Blend mode. Wear the other tattoo on the Clothes layer, also in Blend mode. And wear nothing on the Underwear layer, but set that layer to Mask mode. Having the Mask layer inbetween the two tattoos stops them conflicting with one another.

Never heard about this trick before. I think I'll wait for some skin/tattoo creators to start chugging out system versions of their products to go with BoM still, though!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Never heard about this trick before. I think I'll wait for some skin/tattoo creators to start chugging out system versions of their products to go with BoM still, though!

BoM is definitely the way to go for this kind of situation. Unfortunately not all creators are providing system layers with their appliers yet. Until they do, this is the best alternative.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

OMG Ajay, I hope you are okay. Please rest and take care of yourself.

Anyway, Orwar is right about the alpha conflicts; while you can wear one tattoo on each layer, it can cause conflict and that can cause one or both of the tattoos to flicker or disappear at certain camera angles.

The usual trick is to set one of the layers to Mask instead of Blend, and while this will work for, say, a t-shirt, it will completely spoil a tattoo. But there is a workaround that does actually work.

This is great information, Matty -- thank you so much!

And yes, I'm okay.  I mean, the rib hurts like a beast and things like coughing, laughing, and breathing are less than fun at times, depending on what the rib is deciding to do (it is really unnerving to hear/ feel the broken edges moving in my chest), but other times it's quite bearable.  I was given an anti-inflammatory at the ER and the doctor there also increased the pain medication for a few days, which should see me through until the anti-inflammatories and then their over-the-counter counterparts are sufficient to get me out the other side.  Fortunately, one of the primary recommendations for this type of injury is to rest, and since I have to force myself to be an adult and exercise like I should, it's not hard to just sit and chill for a bit :)

10 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

What else would she do in that condition? I have done SL from a hospital bed. It is a great escape to be able to run around like you are fine when you really arn't.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Talligurl said:

What else would she do in that condition? I have done SL from a hospital bed. It is a great escape to be able to run around like you are fine when you really arn't.

I've done this too, in a hospital with pneumonia, it's a great way to forget your sick and not able to do anything else.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

This solution is spotty at best. It sometimes will do the trick for you, but that doesn't mean that what you are seeing is what others are seeing, which is why I say it's spotty. Even with this empty masked layer between the other two layers "trick" your graphics card has difficulty determining the order of the alpha layers which leads to glitching.

14 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

This solution is spotty at best. It sometimes will do the trick for you, but that doesn't mean that what you are seeing is what others are seeing, which is why I say it's spotty. Even with this empty masked layer between the other two layers "trick" your graphics card has difficulty determining the order of the alpha layers which leads to glitching.

This is why BoM is superior to the method we've been using with mesh bodies.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

This is why BoM is superior to the method we've been using with mesh bodies.

Once I work that out, I daresay I'll be golden.

I was fiddling with the tattoos more yesterday, and I think I've found something that will work:  Put on glove layer, turn off, put on tattoo, then underwear, then gloves back on.

It's worked so far, at any rate.  We'll see how long this continues.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.