Profile pic?

AnnHerrick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just set mine with a pic sized 1662 X 1188 
It was also a jpg file sized 224 KB

At what point are you getting the "don't work" part? 

My process was

• Click my name at the very top right and select Profile
  • Click the image icon next to my current profile picture
  • Drag and drop file to the box, let it upload, then click Continue
  • Move the scale (optional) and then click Save.

Is this what you are doing, too?

In the standard SL viewer, the profile pictures are a 1:1 ratio (if I remember correctly, haven't used the standard viewer for ages), in Firestorm it's 4:3. I suggest you use the format of the viewer you yourself use, as no matter what you do, people using a different viewer may have the image squashed or stretched.  

2 hours ago, Maybie Nightfire said:

I just set mine with a pic sized 1662 X 1188 
It was also a jpg file sized 224 KB

You can't upload a texture with a size of more than 1024 pixels on either axis; if you do, the viewer will automatically squash it down. It's much better to format your image properly in an image manipulator (Gimp/Photoshop) before uploading it, to have more control over the process.

You also don't really tend to need a full sized profile picture - it just makes it take longer to load for people. 512 x 384 should be plenty, some even suggest 256 x 192 - though then the pop-up of it is quite small.

Also, keep in mind that to save the changes to your profile you have to click 'Okay' to close it, rather than cancel or cross it down.

• Like 1

I would add to Orwar's suggestion:

SL will automatically resample your image unless the dimensions are a power of two.  128 or 256 or 512 or 1024 pixels.  Their resampling algorithm isn't too good, so it's best if your image conforms to those sizes.

Create your image at any resolution you like, in a 4:3 aspect ratio.  But, before you upload it, resize it to 512 x 512 pixels.  This will squish it, but that's OK.  It will get un-squished when you apply it to your profile.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

what size profile pic works here?

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

You can't upload a texture with a size of more than 1024 pixels on either axis; if you do, the viewer will automatically squash it down.

I think AnnHerrick was wanting to change her profile here.  As in here in these forums.  You can upload a texture of any dimension as long as it is under 500KB in size. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I think AnnHerrick was wanting to change her profile here.  As in here in these forums.  You can upload a texture of any dimension as long as it is under 500KB in size. 

Ohhh...

Well, I had to crop, resize, and reduce a LOT to get a forum badge that I liked.  I think I tried six or seven different images.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.