New Genesis Lab head - please help!

JackieTeal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I'm still fairly new to SL, and I've just bought a new head from Genesis Lab.  The notecard that came with it said I needed to buy the Omega System Kit for Genesis, so I got that and installed it.  Then I bought a Genesis Lab skin for the head - but no matter what I do, the skin won't appear on the head!  I've tried everything, and I'm at my wits end now - can anyone please help!!  (Please keep any explanations of what I'm doing wrong in very simple terms that a noob will understand - thanks!!)

Edited by JackieTeal

Okay, so I've got the skin applier working now - I went for the skin tone 'milk'.  And I also bought the Genius Lab skin applier for my Slink body, and of course selected the colour 'milk' to get a good match.  But I've got a horrible neck seam, and the skin on my head doesn't seem to match my body, even though I've used the same skin colour for both.  I know you can never get rid of the neck seam altogether, but I thought if I went for the same skin tone on head and body it wouldn't be THAT visible.  Any advice, anyone?1621559886_Jadeneckseam_001.thumb.png.65522a464ac6a79c7a5c86bbb6265a0f.png

20 minutes ago, JackieTeal said:

Okay, so I've got the skin applier working now - I went for the skin tone 'milk'.  And I also bought the Genius Lab skin applier for my Slink body, and of course selected the colour 'milk' to get a good match.  But I've got a horrible neck seam, and the skin on my head doesn't seem to match my body, even though I've used the same skin colour for both.  I know you can never get rid of the neck seam altogether, but I thought if I went for the same skin tone on head and body it wouldn't be THAT visible.  Any advice, anyone?

THIS is why we say over and over again here on the forums. TRY THE DEMO. (repeat that about ten times).  While the skins SHOULD match (you were correct in your assumption there)  --- they often do NOT. Either the skin creator changed the body skin over time or other reasons. That is why you really need to demo the skins very carefully.  From your photo it looks like the body skin isn't the best so perhaps it is an old body skin and a newer head skin. 

The only answer for now is a "choker" (sorry).  But now you know what to look for and you can go skin shopping and you have your Omega applier. It took me forever to find a skin where you can't really  see the seam at all (I blog and retouching photos is NOT fun) and I am sticking with it. The maker has retired from skin making and only made for Lelutka but there must be some skin makers out there that have matching skins. I have friends with WOW skins that the skin matches perfectly so that might be a good place to start.  Don't hurry. Finding a good one that you like AND matches the body skin AND has a good body skin (many do not) is all important.   

Good luck. 

PS with many bodies and heads you need to have the huds for the bodies and heads open AS WELL AS the Omega Relay and the applier. Don't know about Genisis but that might have been your issue when applying. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

I did try the demo for the head, but it only came with one very dark skin tone, and there wasn't a demo available for the skins.  I've just found a neck fix thing, and that does look better now - but I've just noticed another problem!  There's a hole under the jaw!  AAARGH!!

1440787045_Jadeunderchin_001.png.f28df15c047246813cdd9bc00e3c1823.png

Edited by JackieTeal

On 11/10/2019 at 2:14 AM, JackieTeal said:

Panic over - I got rid of the hole.  I was really looking forward to getting a new head, but I've been fiddling with this for hours now, and it's been quite stressful!  I'm starting to think my old system head didn't look so bad after all...

I went through the stressful bit myself :)  I recently came back in to SL after a near 10-year absence, and the mesh that was a new-fangled novelty when I left was ubiquitous when I returned.

I have several old friends who've gone with a mesh body and have retained their system head.  I'd almost settled on doing that myself until I ended up being able to work well with the Genus Classic head -- and I went through at least ten demo heads to get to the Classic.

You can eventually make it work :)  If this head is driving you batty, put it away, try more demos, and if another demo makes you happy enough to think about getting it, you can put it back under consideration at that time.  If not, you're far from the only person sporting a mesh body with a system head.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 2:14 AM, JackieTeal said:

Panic over - I got rid of the hole.  I was really looking forward to getting a new head, but I've been fiddling with this for hours now, and it's been quite stressful!  I'm starting to think my old system head didn't look so bad after all...

Breathe... :)  Yes, the endless fiddling is awful. Once settled it is worth it (I think), especially if you take photos of your avatar. I've been in SL awhile, but come and go, and the updating is always a p.i.t.a. ordeal. I figure in five years I might catch up to the whole bakes on mesh thing, that makes my eyes cross reading on it. Hang in there! You'll soon be an appliers whiz.

breathing into bag.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I went through the stressful bit myself :)  I recently came back in to SL after a near 10-year absence, and the mesh that was a new-fangled novelty when I left was ubiquitous when I returned.

I have several old friends who've gone with a mesh body and have retained their system head.  I'd almost settled on doing that myself until I ended up being able to work well with the Genus Classic head -- and I went through at least ten demo heads to get to the Classic.

You can eventually make it work :)  If this head is driving you batty, put it away, try more demos, and if another demo makes you happy enough to think about getting it, you can put it back under consideration at that time.  If not, you're far from the only person sporting a mesh body with a system head.

I did try lots of demos before settling on the head I got, and although it's been a pain to get it all set up I am very happy with the way it looks now. 😊  I know a lot of people have several mesh bodies and heads that they switch between, but I think I'm just going to stick with one head and body - I don't want to go through all that stress again!

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 11:00 PM, JackieTeal said:

I did try the demo for the head, but it only came with one very dark skin tone, and there wasn't a demo available for the skins.  I've just found a neck fix thing, and that does look better now - but I've just noticed another problem!  There's a hole under the jaw!  AAARGH!!

1440787045_Jadeunderchin_001.png.f28df15c047246813cdd9bc00e3c1823.png

There is your hint.  :D.  It IS difficult and frustrating as other have said.  

Maybe make a game of it and each Saturday (or whatever day you choose) you can go to a different skin maker and try on a lot of DEMOS looking especially to see if the body matches the head. Honestly on my tries there were way more that DIDN'T match than did (sigh).   But eventually you will likelly find one you love.  I spent a very long time in the default skin for Lara matched to the Lelutka head (perfect -- at the time anyway) but did find one that felt more "me" eventually. I am sure it was months not weeks. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There is your hint.  :D.  It IS difficult and frustrating as other have said.  

Maybe make a game of it and each Saturday (or whatever day you choose) you can go to a different skin maker and try on a lot of DEMOS looking especially to see if the body matches the head. Honestly on my tries there were way more that DIDN'T match than did (sigh).   But eventually you will likelly find one you love.  I spent a very long time in the default skin for Lara matched to the Lelutka head (perfect -- at the time anyway) but did find one that felt more "me" eventually. I am sure it was months not weeks. 

I thought I was safer choosing the skin from the same maker as the head (Genius Lab), but unfortunately they don't do skin demos, so you just have to pick one and hope for the best!  It's all looking okay now, I've got the head and body to be a pretty good match, and the neck seam is hardly visible.  I think I've got everything to look as good as it's going to, so I'm going to leave it at that!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JackieTeal said:

I did try lots of demos before settling on the head I got, and although it's been a pain to get it all set up I am very happy with the way it looks now. 😊  I know a lot of people have several mesh bodies and heads that they switch between, but I think I'm just going to stick with one head and body - I don't want to go through all that stress again!

LOL -- I completely understand!  I bought a Lelutka head after trying on a bunch of demos, and I finally just pitched a fit and threw it back into my inventory, tried more demos, and ended up with my Genus Classic head which, annoying HUD aside, has worked well for me and will likely stay firmly stuck to my neck (except when I accidentally remove it). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JackieTeal said:

I thought I was safer choosing the skin from the same maker as the head (Genius Lab), but unfortunately they don't do skin demos, so you just have to pick one and hope for the best!  It's all looking okay now, I've got the head and body to be a pretty good match, and the neck seam is hardly visible.  I think I've got everything to look as good as it's going to, so I'm going to leave it at that!

Unfortunately MANY makers of heads (and bodies and both) do NOT do a great job with skins. I imagine most of us found out the hard way somewhere down the line.   Now you can go forward with knowledge! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JackieTeal said:

are you talking about the genesis body skin appliers or appliers for the head?

genesis demo.JPG

6 hours ago, tako Absent said:

are you talking about the genesis body skin appliers or appliers for the head?

genesis demo.JPG

I know - I'm an idiot! 🙄  After I posted that comment about there being no demos available, I went back to the store and realised that one of those tiny little bottles is indeed a demo!  Maybe I should get some new eyes to go with my new head... 😊

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.