HD Lips

AriannaCarmen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

if the HUD is still not working, then try another region. If it doesn't work there either then something obvious which I have a habit of missing myself  at times because inventory folders full of HUDs

make sure we are wearing the correct HUD for the version of the head

when we are absolutely sure of this, and tried everything else: Other region, relog, scripts on check, etc. then we can pretty much say that the HUD is fried, which actually does happen sometimes when the script server fries itself.  When so then our remaining option is a redelivery of the product from the vendor and start over with a clean version

Catwa CSR here :)

It's nothing to do with scripts or regions or the HUD being fried. Because of the way they work, the HD lips are scripted to set the lower lipstick layer on your head to invisible when they're added. Once you've taken off the HD lips and want to use that lower lipstick layer again all you need to do is wear the head's Master HUD, go to the tab for lips, ensure that the 'lower' button is checked, then push the blend slider button all the way to the left. (If it's showing as all the way to the left anyway, push it to the right and then back again to the left).

2084732244_HDlipslowerlayerfix.png.9b0a442d407089c1e1ea386ded2a33ce.png

For the sake of curiosity (in case anyone wonders) if the lower layer is visible then you will get alpha glitch flickering between the head's lips and the HD lips add-on. (The HD lips occupy exactly the same position on your head as the head's lower lipstick layer.) You can see this yourself without risking or damaging either head or lips by simply performing that lower lipstick layer blend toggle described in my post above, while still wearing the HD lips. Once you've seen what happens, simply toggle that lower layer blend slider to the right again and the alpha flickering will stop.

You can, however, add lipstick appliers from the head's HUD onto the HD lips using the upper layer of the Master HUD (because the upper layer sits above the location where the lower lipstick layer and the HD lips both are). I love this little feature because it gives you extra tinting and applier options over and above the applier options on the HD lips HUD itself, which just gives you tint and blend. Let's say you have a lipgloss applier, or some little stars on a lipstick applier and you want to wear those on your HD lips. To do this you would:

• Apply the lipgloss/stars applier to your head's lips, then save it to the Master HUD (lipstick section shown in the above image, ensure that 'lower' is checked - again, as shown - and click one of the little pink 'save' buttons under an empty space)
  • Add the HD lips add-on, apply the HD lip colour using its own HUD (or any third party HD lips applier HUD) and tint/blend it to your desired look
  • Go back to your Master HUD's lipstick tab, ensure that the 'upper' box is checked (the 'upper' bit is critical!), then click the box above the 'save' button that you used to save the lipgloss/stars
  • You can now use that upper layer's blend slider to get the opacity of the lipgloss/stars looking how you want it, and you can even go into the tinting tab and give them a tint as well
Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Because of the way they work, the HD lips are scripted to set the lower lipstick layer on your head to invisible when they're added. Once you've taken off the HD lips and want to use that lower lipstick layer again all you need to do is wear the head's Master HUD, go to the tab for lips, ensure that the 'lower' button is checked, then push the blend slider button all the way to the left. (If it's showing as all the way to the left anyway, push it to the right and then back again to the left).

is there a reason for why the layer would be reset to invisible when they're added ?

i am not understanding why it would do this when the default behaviour (default meaning the behaviour typically expected generally) is that the setting on most attachment products is whatever it was when the item was last attached

was this a deliberate design decision due to the when-first-attached glitch problem with overlaid transparent textures ? am just guessing now, but I am curious to know

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

is there a reason for why the layer would be reset to invisible when they're added ?

i am not understanding why it would do this when the default behaviour (default meaning the behaviour typically expected generally) is that the setting on most attachment products is whatever it was when the item was last attached

was this a deliberate design decision due to the when-first-attached glitch problem with overlaid transparent textures ? am just guessing now, but I am curious to know

You might have missed this, since I edited my original post to explain why:

49 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

For the sake of curiosity (in case anyone wonders) if the lower layer is visible then you will get alpha glitch flickering between the head's lips and the HD lips add-on. (The HD lips occupy exactly the same position on your head as the head's lower lipstick layer.) You can see this yourself without risking or damaging either head or lips by simply performing that lower lipstick layer blend toggle described in my post above, while still wearing the HD lips. Once you've seen what happens, simply toggle that lower layer blend slider to the right again and the alpha flickering will stop.

In short: there is not enough space between the upper and lower lipstick layers to place the HD lips. Catwa wanted to allow the opportunity for even more customisation by allowing the head's own upper lipstick layer to be used additionally, so the only option - other than updating the entire layering options for all 27 of her female heads (which could potentially mess up other things) was to set the lipstick's lower layer to invisible when the HD lips are added.

• Thanks 1

I did those steps last night and it didn't work. In fact, I did it multiple times, including relogging. It's working now and I don't know why, but thank you for the explanation and instructions. 

It wouldn't make sense that the HUDS were "fried" because I tried MANY lipstick appliers targeted for Catwa and even a couple of Omega appliers and none of them worked. That would have meant that every HUD in my inventory had been "fried".  

I have another question because I'm not quite clear on what you said. You talked about lipgloss with stars, but what about a regular lipstick applier?  Can I use ALL my other lipstick appliers with the HD lips?  If I have to take the lips on and off to use all my other appliers, I probably won't bother wearing them even though I like them a lot. 

40 minutes ago, AriannaCarmen said:

Can I use ALL my other lipstick appliers with the HD lips?

You need special HD lip appliers for the HD lips themselves, but - as stated in my previous response - you can apply any lipstick on top of the HD lips using the upper layer of the head (via the Catwa Master HUD), as long as you have that lipstick saved to the Catwa Master HUD and select the 'upper' checkbox when applying it. You can then blend it so that it adds additional colour or tone to the HD lips themselves. What you cannot do is use standard lip appliers on the HD lips themselves. You will always need to have an HD applier on the lips (you can use a very pale one if you want, and tint it to a natural lip tone).

Quick video here, showing how that works. The HUD on the right is an HD lips HUD, and the HUD on the left is the head's Master HUD.

Remember: the head has a base (the head itself) plus two layers, and the HD lips sit on the lower of the two layers. From the inside to the outside it goes: head (skin goes on this part) > lower layer + HD lips (these sit on the lower layer, which is why the lower lipstick layer is invisible when the HD lips are added) > upper layer. This means you can add lipstick only to the upper of those two layers and have it show over the top of the HD lips. However, this should not be used as a substitute for the HD lip appliers themselves. The whole point of them is that they are a much higher definition (hence the name) than normal lip appliers. Normal Catwa lip appliers will not work on the HD lips themselves.

40 minutes ago, AriannaCarmen said:

I did those steps last night and it didn't work. In fact, I did it multiple times, including relogging. It's working now and I don't know why

Very likely that was down to SL being weird, your connection being weird, or even just good old lag. When it works one day, then doesn't work the next, then works again a bit later it's not because anything to do with the product has stopped working for a bit; it's due to something else being screwy.

Edited by Skell Dagger

Thanks for the further information. 

As for the HUD issue, all my hair and clothing HUDS worked normally, my internet connection is fast and good, my boyfriend wasn't experiencing any issues of any kind in our region, so I'm at a loss. I suppose there's no point in trying to analyze it, but just hope it was a one time aberration.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, Skell Dagger said:

Once you've taken off the HD lips and want to use that lower lipstick layer again all you need to do is wear the head's Master HUD, go to the tab for lips, ensure that the 'lower' button is checked, then push the blend slider button all the way to the left. (If it's showing as all the way to the left anyway, push it to the right and then back again to the left).

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to do (the right-left toggle). Really helpful.  :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.