🎄 Seasonal Content and Decoration Guidelines 🎃

Patch Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Maybe I have missed it, but what category should one chose to report objects that seem to violate the Belli rules? With Christmas season, lots of people seem to have forgotten that this isn't mainland.

It's difficult to come up with a correct category, just do your best and make sure your links are correct so the team can find things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

Maybe I have missed it, but what category should one chose to report objects that seem to violate the Belli rules? With Christmas season, lots of people seem to have forgotten that this isn't mainland.

Sometimes I use "Disturbing the peace > Object littering" and sometimes "Land > Encroachment > Objects or Textures".  I used 'Disturbing the peace > Excessive script objects' for someone that had a snow poofer out in July that was basically producing a blizzard - and that category again for someone that had a breedable farm up in a skybox.

It is hit or miss.  Their AR categories are in desperate need of an update, especially to at least add a category for Linden Homes.  Reminds of the horrid selection of categories when opening a Support ticket -- there are no categories for reporting problems related to web pages in the Knowledgebase, Wiki or the Forums.

I think that if there was a dedicated category, more people might report things and more things might get dealt with.  When I was new and went to do an AR, if I couldn't find a category that seemed to be for what I was trying to report, I assumed the issue actually was not a reportable problem.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 7

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sometimes I use "Disturbing the peace > Object littering" and sometimes "Land > Encroachment > Objects or Textures".  I used 'Disturbing the peace > Excessive script objects' for someone that had a snow poofer out in July that was basically producing a blizzard - and that category again for someone that had a breedable farm up in a skybox.

It is hit or miss.  Their AR categories are in desperate need of an update, especially to at least add a category for Linden Homes.  Reminds of the horrid selection of categories when opening a Support ticket -- there are no categories for reporting problems related to web pages in the Knowledgebase, Wiki or the Forums.

Thanks. I think I went with something like inappropiate object? I know that category is about the lands rating, but well... I hope the text and picture explain it well enough. Its a giant "privacy screen" wall of a picture of a snowy forest, which completely encloses the parcel it belongs to.

7 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Thanks. I think I went with something like inappropiate object? I know that category is about the lands rating, but well... I hope the text and picture explain it well enough. Its a giant "privacy screen" wall of a picture of a snowy forest, which completely encloses the parcel it belongs to.

I think the important part is to ensure the problem is definitely in view for the snapshot that gets taken.  Your chosen category might actually bump the ticket up to be looked at faster -- LL is usually pretty concerned with keeping adult content out of other areas.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Dear @Patch Linden,

could you please define the exact time periods where the temporary decorations are allowed? 

The reason for my request is the possibility to create a script, which on the one hand reminds of the holidays and on the other hand also removes/returns the decorations automatically. 

Not all holidays are scheduled equally worldwide and therefore this clarification makes more than sense.

Thank you very much!

10 minutes ago, 3DFun said:

Dear @Patch Linden,

could you please define the exact time periods where the temporary decorations are allowed? 

The reason for my request is the possibility to create a script, which on the one hand reminds of the holidays and on the other hand also removes/returns the decorations automatically. 

Not all holidays are scheduled equally worldwide and therefore this clarification makes more than sense.

Thank you very much!

I believe the guidelines generally follow the North American holiday dates that are observed. In the original post though it does say this :)

"

• Decoration should not be placed out any earlier than 30 days in advance of any holiday or season represented and must be removed within 15 days of the holiday or season passing."

So 2 weeks after the 31st of October :)

Here is the link for that original post! 

• Like 2

Winter decorations can likely go out now, or at least within the next week or two.  While winter does not officially begin until Dec 21st, it has already snowed in various locations in the US, with some ski resorts already open for the season.  General winter decorations should be able to stay until mid-late Mar of 2023.

Thanksgiving decorations can go out now, as we are within 30 days of that US holiday. Those have to be removed by mid-Dec.

Christmas decorations cannot go out until Thanksgiving, which will then be 30 days before Christmas.  Those have to be removed by mid-Jan.

• Like 1

There's no way a script could know what is or isn't a decoration. Nor will it know if it's in the house or not (inside doesn't have to stay in theme and all that). Plus some stuff might be in theme all year round in some themes (like magic and monsters in fantasy). It's always going to be down to someone taking a look and making a decision. So though you can AR anything that looks a bit early, I'd suggest you don't flood the team with every piece of early tinsel.

Also noting that fantasy has seasons in a way the other themes don't, so that could influence people's timing when it comes to decorations.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Like 4

What is holiday decorations and what is simply decorations? I already see people putting down snow on their grass parcels - is that against a covenant? What if someone wanted to have skeletons adorning their yard all year? Is that a holiday decoration or just a decoration?

15 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

What is holiday decorations and what is simply decorations? I already see people putting down snow on their grass parcels - is that against a covenant? What if someone wanted to have skeletons adorning their yard all year? Is that a holiday decoration or just a decoration?

Snow is considered 'seasonal', but I think LL once commented that snow on the ground for months should be more of a dusting rather than solid snow.  And I sort of remember LL saying something about massive snow storms on a parcel might not be appropriate, but I'm not sure on that.

Skeletons probably depend on how they are displayed.  A single skeleton that isn't an obvious Halloween display might be fine for regular every day decorating.   I once had once sitting in a rocker on my porch, reading a book.  It was simply there for humor.

LL has said many times, they prefer not to give hard rules because then folks will just try to push the boundaries.  If anyone thinks there is an issue, they should report it and LL will decide on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:03 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Snow is considered 'seasonal', but I think LL once commented that snow on the ground for months should be more of a dusting rather than solid snow.  And I sort of remember LL saying something about massive snow storms on a parcel might not be appropriate, but I'm not sure on that.

It has been embedded in the Bellisseria Covenant for some time now. Too many people don't even know that a Covenant exists, so it's not surprising that infringements occur. I find it hard to believe that someone would stick a perfectly rectangular covering of deep snow (or even "a light dusting", for that matter) in the middle of semi-tropical appearing houseboats, for example, but they will!

This is the actual wording from the covenant, for information: -

== Seasonal & Holiday Content ==

*Seasonal and holiday decorations are permitted as long as they are tastefully applied.
  *Natural seasonal elements are permitted if they are applied subtly, such as a light dusting of snow or a scatter of leaves. 
  *Outdoor holiday decorations should be congruent with the holiday season (no Christmas decorations in May or Halloween decor in April for example). 
  *Remember to keep all seasonal and holiday decorations within the borders of your parcel and ensure that no content extends over the parcel lines.
  *Decoration should not be placed out any earlier than 30 days in advance of any holiday or season represented and must be removed within 15 days of the holiday or season passing.

Edited by Odaks
spelling correction
  • Like 5

On 11/2/2022 at 8:21 PM, Polenth Yue said:

There's no way a script could know what is or isn't a decoration. Nor will it know if it's in the house or not (inside doesn't have to stay in theme and all that). Plus some stuff might be in theme all year round in some themes (like magic and monsters in fantasy). It's always going to be down to someone taking a look and making a decision. So though you can AR anything that looks a bit early, I'd suggest you don't flood the team with every piece of early tinsel.

Also noting that fantasy has seasons in a way the other themes don't, so that could influence people's timing when it comes to decorations.

I assume that you have no idea about LSL and therefore assume that you can't use an LSL script to specify exactly which prim should be removed and when. However, your assumption is wrong. You can!

2 hours ago, 3DFun said:

I assume that you have no idea about LSL and therefore assume that you can't use an LSL script to specify exactly which prim should be removed and when. However, your assumption is wrong. You can!

I know how to script and that wasn't my point. It was that the script would need to be an AI that can correctly recognise what an object represents and make a judgement about the seasonal nature and placement of the item. Creators don't mark whether their items are seasonal or for what season. There are no naming standards. The AI would have to figure it out by looking at the appearance of the object. I stand by my comment that I don't think the current scripting system could handle something that advanced. At best, you'd have to send the object data to an external AI.

Even if I'm wrong about that, you still face the problem that AI isn't as good at that sort of task as humans. It's cheaper, easier and more effective to just hire humans to deal with abuse reports.

Now, I could be wrong about that too, but the burden of proof isn't on me. If you want to try scripting that sort of AI in Second Life, go for it. Then test it to see if it can match humans for accuracy, including edge cases, objects obscured by other objects, and so on.

• Like 2

I need some help finding a Christmas tree that actually fits in the stilts. Every tree I own goes through the ceiling and I really don't want to drop a lot of Lindens on trees that will do the same. So if anyone has any suggestions for stilt approved trees I would be so freaking grateful. Currently I have trees from Trompe, Delaney's, Circa, {What next}, Dench, Depoz, <FIN> (that one's in my Vic)... I think that's it. Please help! My stilt looks for forlorn without a tree. 

2 hours ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

I need some help finding a Christmas tree that actually fits in the stilts. Every tree I own goes through the ceiling and I really don't want to drop a lot of Lindens on trees that will do the same. So if anyone has any suggestions for stilt approved trees I would be so freaking grateful. Currently I have trees from Trompe, Delaney's, Circa, {What next}, Dench, Depoz, <FIN> (that one's in my Vic)... I think that's it. Please help! My stilt looks for forlorn without a tree. 

If any of the ones that you have are Modifiable -- as many are -- just shrink them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 7:45 AM, Polenth Yue said:

I know how to script and that wasn't my point. It was that the script would need to be an AI that can correctly recognise what an object represents and make a judgement about the seasonal nature and placement of the item. Creators don't mark whether their items are seasonal or for what season. There are no naming standards. The AI would have to figure it out by looking at the appearance of the object. I stand by my comment that I don't think the current scripting system could handle something that advanced. At best, you'd have to send the object data to an external AI.

Even if I'm wrong about that, you still face the problem that AI isn't as good at that sort of task as humans. It's cheaper, easier and more effective to just hire humans to deal with abuse reports.

Now, I could be wrong about that too, but the burden of proof isn't on me. If you want to try scripting that sort of AI in Second Life, go for it. Then test it to see if it can match humans for accuracy, including edge cases, objects obscured by other objects, and so on.

Thanks for your reply 😉 I choose wich prims I want to return with https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlReturnObjectsByID no need to id the object name or group or description with llGetObjectDetails to determine if they fit into this or that holiday setting. (wich wouldn't be hard either) Simply copy&pasta the method's data, you choose into a list and that is it. It's not hard to make a small script to follow that rule.

I don't agree with you abut the memory, especially now with LinkSetData everyone gets a decent amount of memory to store uuids in, so I doubt that external memory is needed for that. Com could be done via chat channel, so you would't even need a persistant UUID. So everyone can take care of their own stuff with a small LSL script. And if somebody still doesn't care or is uninformed, you still have the option to AR. That's my opinion.

However there should be a clear reminder for everyone, could by done by script also! 👨‍💻

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.