Getting Started Making Skin and Makeup

Cerridwen Keneinan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there,

I have spent quite a bit of time researching how skin and make up is created in second life, the videos and articles I have found are very outdated. The only recent ones were how to create an applier but nothing in regards to how the texturing and developing is done. Would be very helpful if anyone has any information to throw my way.

Thank you!

Hi Cerridwen, and welcome to the wonderful world of content creation 😊

You’ll probably find a lot of the old tutorials are still useful - the nitty-gritty of creating the textures still hasn’t changed much - most mesh avatars still use the same uv maps as we did 10 years ago. And now with ‘bakes on mesh’ we can use the original systems layer system again, with the added bonus of 1024 textures.

Normal & specular maps are a change since mesh came in, but again with the advent of BOM, how these are used is in flux as well.

If you’ve got any specific questions, ask away, and check out the building & texturing forum for more threads.

You’ll still want the old head map for the most part - I can’t remember that any included that in their kit. A few brands provide some layers to help with slight differences in the UV mapping - from memory Catwa is one, and possibly Slink and other bodies for the shading of toes on the remapped foot. 

People will still be using appliers for a while, especially for adding shine to makeup, so you will need the dev kits for the heads & bodies you’re creating for in order to make appliers...worth grabbing some dev kits and checking out what they include. Some brands also provide models so that you can test appliers without uploading the textures - Akeruka and Belleza are two examples. 

Edited by Peony Sweetwater
I can’t spell...or can’t type!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.